Cumulus X Needed to fly the Discus?

bandsma

I was wondering about the need for Cumulus X to fly the Discus realistically versus using a payware option like Active Sky Advanced. Anyone have a view about? Is there an advantage to using Cumulus X over ASA in terms of generating more realistic thermals?

I never tried ASA.

All I can say is, that CumulusX! is VERY real.

Thermals are generated completely without the use of the very crappy standard lift, and related to its own very good clouds.

The thermals react to the current weather settings, have life cycles, and are wind dependent (really sloped lift"pipes")

A great advantage is the realistic ridge generated by CumulusX!

The program calculates the ridges all over the world using the current windspeed and direction and the ground elevation data.

I really don't think, that you will have this options in ASA, because I never heard something like this in the gliding community.

As I said, I never tried it. I am very lucky with CumulusX!

Belive a real glider pilot ;-)

And hey. It is worth a try, it is free!

Bests Joachim

I have had no luck soaring with ASA so far. From the protocol I could see that it generated lift, but at least with the weather conditions I used the lift was too weak for the glider. The same for ridge lift with ASA. In addition airtows with ASA are a real pain as you get a lot of wind shears.

For motor flight I think there is no better weather engine than ASA, but for soaring I would use CumulusX.

I'm a real fan of ridge soaring with CumulusX. Because the limited visibility out of the FSX cockpit compared to a real glider, ridge soaring is a lot easier than thermal soaring, and it works supremely well in CumulusX. All you have to do is set the wind at 17 knots (that would be 34 kmh or 8 m/s to you Euro folks - what is windspeed in over there anyway??), and take off from Mifflin County Airport / KRVL. E.g. try these, from 1 hour to 5 hours...

mifflin_tasks.jpg