Discus Glider x - C4 - Setup

airwolf

Hallo zusammen,

gemäß Beschreibung nach C4 Competition Handbuch Seite 13 gelangt man wie folgt ins Setup:

Cursor auf "INFO" stellen (linker Drehknopf), dann "Setup" eindrehen (rechter Drehknopf)

Leider funktioniert dies bei mir nicht, da unter "INFO" nur 2 Möglichkeiten zur Auswahl stehen.

INFO und 0:00:00

Wer kann mir weiterhelfen? Danke vorab.

Gruß

Ralf

Wie hier zu lesen ist, kann dort nichts eingestellt werden - es ist schlicht nicht simuliert.

Mal ehrlich - was willst Du dort einstellen, hier im Simulator? Das Flugzeug ist doch fertig "eingeflogen" und irgendeine Mücke ist mir noch nicht entgegengekommen :blush: Willst Du das Ding in ein anderes Flugzeug einbauen?

In ein anderes Flugzeug einbauen ist schlicht nicht möglich.

Das Setupmenü behinhaltet Luftfahrzeugspezifische Einstellungen. Man kann dort beispielsweise die Kompensation einstellen, oder die Trägheit etc. Das heißt, dort sind sehr sensible Daten versteckt, die man eigentlich nicht anrühren sollte, weil man sich damit das ganze Teil "zerschießen" kann. Mit andern Worten, man bekäme recht Seltsame Anzeigen.

Dieses Menü ist im FSX aber nicht nur "gefährlich" sondern schlicht und einfach wertlos, weil der Flieger und das C4 schon Fix und fertig eingestellt sind.

Gruß Joachim

P.S. Übrigens sehr schönes Flugzeug in deinem Avatar. Fliege ich auch sehr gerne :-)

Hi All,

in English I'm reading this question as "why is there no setup screen implemented on the simulated SDI C4 flight computer?".

The real C4 (I own a C3 which is almost identical) has a 'SETUP' cursor position as a sub-position off the INFO bottom right cursor setting. This position is only accessed *once* when the C4 is installed, and the pilot only goes in here for two main reasons:

(1) to set up the 'polar' curve for the glider it's installed in (the C4 out-of-the-box has to be given the actual performance data of the glider so it works correctly), and

(2) to choose the units you want the C4 to display in (knots, meters per second, etc).

The C4 in the Aerosoft Discus is pre-coded to operate with the correct polar for the glider, so there is absolutely no reason to change that, and the gauge also picks up the correct units settings from the FSX settings, so you're ok there too. So the main functions are taken care of kind of in an FSX way.

At the same time, FSX provides *NO* support to store gauge settings between different loads of the aircraft, so implementing 'settings' would also require another executable DLL/EXE as part of the package. I looked at that really carefully, trust me, but decided that the complexity of another EXE plus the ability to make the gauge almost inoperable by wrong settings made it not worthwhile.

Those are definitely the most important features in setup, that we have the alternative for, but against that there are *three* other features in setup which are potentially worthwhile, and Joachim and I debated them a lot.

(A) One is the setting for a 'quiet band' in the speed-to-fly variometer so its beep-beep-beep for slow down, beeeeeeeeeeeeeep for speed up, with a gap of silence (from the vario) in between. This still needs the 'EXE' to store the setting and the default is 'no quiet band', but I'm a pilot that prefers the gap...

(B ) **Warning** this comment is fairly soaring-technical! - Another setup feature is the option to set a default safety margin on the final glides - again this would need the EXE to store the setting, and note that you *CAN* set the safety margin anyway on the "A.H." cursor position of the C4 that only applies during the current flight. During much of the beta-testing of the Discus we had the default 'safety margin' setting set to 450 feet / 150 meters *BUT* this confused the hell out of most of the testers because the power-up cursor setting of the C4 is "Nav", and that cursor setting continuously displays "Arrival Height" in the middle of the display which *includes* the safety margin. If you have *no* flightplan or mission loaded, the C4 has your distance-to-go as ZERO so your real arrival height is your current height (following me?), but the C4 will then *subtract* the safety margin, e.g. if you are at 5000 feet with a safety margin of 450 feet, the display will show 4550 feet. So the display looks like a digital altimeter that is always off by 450 feet. This is *exactly* what the real C4 does, but in spite of the brains in the beta this confused too many. *But* with a default safety margin of ZERO, hey presto, the arrival height indication doubles up as a digital altimeter reading when you have no flight loaded, and everybody's happy, and this is still a true simulation of the C4. But the setup option to permanently dial in *your* choice of margin would have been neat.

(C ) The C4 setup screen gives you an option to *automatically* switch between Total Energy mode and Speed-to-Fly mode. To do this the C4 does a calculation to work out whether you are cruising between thermals or circling in a thermal. In this setting you also specify which cursor positions you want the C4 to automatically switch to as it flips modes. E.g. in the climb the C4 flips to the Maccready cursor position, and in the cruise it flips to the 'Dist' position. I *implemented* this function in the C4, necessarily choosing the defaults for the cursor to flip to (no EXE to store settings), and it must be 300 lines of codes but again it confused the hell out of the Beta testers. If you're new to the glider it is damn confusing when the cursor is flipping around all the time, sometimes just after you've carefully moved it around to, say, check the L/D setting. Apart from *ME*, with my SDI C3, I have never met any other real pilot who has actually chosen this setting in their real C3/C4, and this applies to Joachim's that we're simulating. But I like it.

So (A) and (B ) are non-starters unless I write an EXE to save settings, and that's never an ideal option. Option (C ) is already hidden in the Discus you are flying today, and maybe I'll think of a way to make it available to people that are prepared for the learning curve.

By the way, back to the A.H display on the Nav or Dist display, if you have a flightplan loaded, the display is showing the calculated ARRIVAL HEIGHT at the next waypoint. If you haven't tried a point-to-point flight with a flightplan between two airports you *really* should try it, even if you only use the engine on the BM to get you off the ground and high enough to glide to the desitination airport. The height reading will show your calculated arrival height, taking into account the wind, the performance of the glider, and your expected speed-to-fly given the current conditions. Initially the arrival height will be negative until you've climbed enough to actually make the airport, and then as you glide you'll see the calculation continually correcting as you go along. So long as it stays positive, you should be able to make the airport, and you'll see it count down to zero as you reach the threshold. The instrument will tell you you can make it *long* before you can see the airfield, i.e. the glide is so flat, so you have to learn to trust the instrument and take long final glides. If you can picture the shallow glideslope, you'll appreciate a *negative* arrival height will have you hitting the dirt a long way before the airport. As I write this, I think I really should be writing a "How to:", to set up a flight with a nice long final glide into an airport...

B21

Eine peinliche Frage:

wo aktiviere ich das akustische Signal für das Variometer? Volume im C4 auf 100 eingestellt, laut Beschreibung funktioniert aber die Volumeeingabe eh nicht? Heißt das, daß gar kein akustisches Signal vorhanden ist?

Die Volumeregelung klappt nicht, nein, das ist leider nicht möglich.

Wenn du nichts tust, sollte der Sound an sein, (so lange das C4 an ist)

Der sound wird aus sein, wenn du volume auf 0 drehst, oder das C4 aus ist, oder wenn du auf sollfahrt gestelst, mit sollfahrt fliegst.

Wenn du ansonnsten keinen sound hast, ist das recht seltsam.

Dann sag mir bitte, was hast du geändert? Oder hast du überhaupt was geändert?

Wie sind deine Soundeinstellungen?

Gruß Joachim

Also, verändert habe ich nichts, nur mit dem Volume im C4 sämtliche Einstellungen von 0 bis 100 probiert. Der Sound im FSX ist sonst ok, höre alle Geräusche und Titelmusik. Der Sound des Variometers bei den FSX-Standardsegelflugmodelle im FSX ist in Ordnung, hat jetzt aber wahrscheinlich keinen Einfluss auf GliderX? (+Accelaration Pack) läuft bei mir auf Vista 32 SP2

Dateien dürften keine fehlen, da ich die Dateistruktur nie eigenhändig angerührt habe. Auch eine Neuinstallation des GliderX behebt das Problem des akustischen Signals nicht. Habe Soar Dg808s version3 installiert (http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=24636) denke aber nicht, daß es daran liegt?

Ich glaube ich weiß jetzt ungefähr, wo der Fehler liegt: Ich glaub es hat was mit FreeTrack und Simconnect zu tun, Genaues kann ich allerdings nicht sagen. Ich benutze FreeTrack zur Steuerung der Sichtachsen im Cockpit. Wenn ich im Freetrack Simconnect deaktiviere und anschließen wieder aktiviere, dann funktioniert auch wieder das akustische Signal des Variometers. Den Zusammenhang verstehe ich zwar nicht, und wie gesagt ich weiß auch nicht genau obs wirklich daran liegt, werde diesbezüglich noch ein wenig testen!

Is freetrack moving you out of the glider cockpit??

B21

You have to make some settings on FreeTrack, so its no problem and youre not moving out of the glider. I think there are good instructions on FreeTrack but i found my settings just by trying.