CTD BUGFIX

J.Schweigler

OK,

What we found out:

We suggest, the "user event signalling" was a cause of the CTDs.

The current dll sends a signal to CumulusX! every frame to switch off the compensation. This seems to be to much fo some systems.

(Don't ask me to much, Ian can explain it better)

What we have done:

Ian wrote the new dll to improve the way it sends the signal. (One time per second)

Attached is the current dll as a public beta.

Two people have tested it, and the CTDs has gone.

Before I do an official update, I want to be 100% sure, that there is no CTD anymore.

Please report in this thread if it works.

Installation:

Please overwrite your current b21_vario.dll with the version of the package.

It is located in FSXmain/modules/b21_vario/

Best Joachim

b21_vario.zip

Just installed it. Still having a problem. The very first time I tried the "BM" I got a crash and it was pointing to WinchX!. Now I also got a crash again, and I clicked on 'Debug' to get some info (VS2005 installed), but as FSX was in full screen mode, I could not get to VS2005 and had to kill it. This crash only seems to happen in full screen mode.

Just reproduced it and let it close the program. I then get a popup window saying "WinchX! was hit by an unexpected exception and has to close."

This is the dotnet o/p:

->C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

< Installed .NET Frameworks >

.NET FW 2.0 SP 2

.NET FW 3.0

.NET FW 3.5 SP 1

Are these sufficient ?

[Edit: this is with Vista-64 Ultimate]

Cheers,

Siggy

Thanks Siggy- this is helpful. So you installed b21_vario_430.dll as FSXBASE\Modules\b21_vario.dll?

If you simply *remove* b21_vario.dll (i.e. rename it...), do you have no CTD problems on x64 ?

The recommendation for x64 if you have a CTD is simply to disable b21_vario.dll for now - the freeware CumulusX from Peter Luerkens will be controlling the audio if b21_vario.dll is not there and the sound will be *identical* for most normal use of the vario in the Discus.

We think we're trying to work around an FSX bug that appears on x64 and still have a few options.

Thanks again for posting...

B21

I have just installed the new vario file under vista home 32 bit - and still the CTD occured.

Best regards

Peter

Vickers can you confirm you do *not* get the CTD if you simply disable b21_vario.dll ?

I then get a popup window saying "WinchX! was hit by an unexpected exception and has to close."

I had those messages also after CTD's, but I don't think that that means that WinchX! has caused the problem. I think the message pops up, because fsx has been closed (the CTD) without having time to correctly close WinchX!, so the unexpected exception is that WinchX! was still active and asking for information from FSX, but didn't receive information from FSX anymore).

Bert

Thanks Siggy- this is helpful. So you installed b21_vario_430.dll as FSXBASE\Modules\b21_vario.dll?

If you simply *remove* b21_vario.dll (i.e. rename it...), do you have no CTD problems on x64 ?

The DLL is neither named *_430.dll, nor does it seem to carry any version info in it.

Anyway, the problem in my case is with WinchX!. Perhaps I should have opened a new thread ?

When in full screen, and WinchX! is up, a minute or two after takeoff in the "BM" WinchX! pulls down FSX. If I first terminate WinchX! before takeoff then it is fine.

Cheers,

Siggy

The DLL is neither named *_430.dll, nor does it seem to carry any version info in it.

apologies Siggy, I meant "this test patched b21_vario.dll". I've updated it a few times and the zipped one in this thread is actually my v4.30 which has a workaround for an FSX bug affecting some x64 machines and that doesn't sound like it's your issue.

For WinchX! questions for best advice is use the SOAR forum (also hosted here by Aerosoft), e.g. append Peter Luerkens WinchX! announcement thread: here. As WinchX does the exact same thing for any aircraft it is launching, and has no code in it specific to any aircraft, a WinchX problem is very unlikely to be aircraft-related and the first check would be to repeat the glitch with the FSX stock DG808S.

Vickers - if you want we can look into your issue specifically. If you're running CumulusX the downside of not having b21_vario.dll is pretty small but I have a test aircraft you can try which will help identify the issue. I've PM'd you on this forum with my email address (you have to click your username top right to see the message).

B21

WinchX! does only produce a errorreport if it was closen unexpectly. So If FSX crashes, WinchX! crashes also, because it has no FSX to run.

This is only normal. Don't worry. WinchX! is not the problem.

Best regards

Joachim

WinchX! does only produce a errorreport if it was closen unexpectly. So If FSX crashes, WinchX! crashes also, because it has no FSX to run.

This is only normal. Don't worry. WinchX! is not the problem.

Best regards

Joachim

So why does FSX not crash when I first close WinchX! before taking off ?

Cheers,

Siggy

Hi Siggy,

it is indeed possible to kill FSX by sending erroneous data over SimConnect. I have investigated this possibility, too, but as of now I could not find a correlation beween CTDs and in conjunction with CumulusX! and WinchX!. Sometime it happens when they are loaded, somtimes the other way round. One might even have a period of some days, when nothing happens at all. Aside from this, WinchX!, after registering itself with FSX, does nothing else, than listening to FSX events as "Pause", "Slew", "Load Flight", "Crash", "Load Aircraft", and "Release Tow". The last is used to trigger a launch be pulling the release handle, wherafter it gets really active. Basically, this means, that WinchX! does abolutely nothing, if you are not doing a winch launch or activating one of the mentioned functions.

WinchX! and CumulusX! are also running in a process space separate from FSX (unlike a DLL). Even if they exhibit a full application crash, it would not affect FSX other than missing their functions. It is thinkable that the crashed application makes a last attempt to poison FSX with malformed data. However, I could not identify somehting like this with the current releases.

In the other way round, my programs cannot live without FSX. I made some attempts to intercept the effect of a crashing FSX, though, but this is not always successful, leading to crashing my applications, too. In most cases however, they show a graceful quit and complain about being hit by some unexpected exception.

Nevertheless, all indications may be helpful, so I'd like to ask you to look into your system event log and look out for critical application erros in conjunction with FSX, WinchX! and CumulusX!, and send it to me.

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Good to hear from you. I thought I can reproduce it every time but it now took me several attempts. This time it wasn't a minute or so into the flight, it happened when I pressed the starter button in the "BM". Unfortunately, as FSX runs in full screen I cannot bring VS2005 to the foreground for having a look at the stack. Do you know whether/how this can be done ?

I had a look at the event log and for this event here I get the following:

Log Name: Application

Source: Application Error

Date: 20/09/2009 20:31:24

Event ID: 1000

Task Category: (100)

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: ABC

Description:

Faulting application fsx.exe, version 10.0.61637.0, time stamp 0x46fadb14, faulting module API.DLL, version 10.0.61637.0, time stamp 0x46fadb58, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000176f6, process id 0x18b0, application start time 0x01ca39dd2861e3a0.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-09-20T10:31:24.000Z" />

<EventRecordID>34328</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>ABC</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>fsx.exe</Data>

<Data>10.0.61637.0</Data>

<Data>46fadb14</Data>

<Data>API.DLL</Data>

<Data>10.0.61637.0</Data>

<Data>46fadb58</Data>

<Data>c0000005</Data>

<Data>000176f6</Data>

<Data>18b0</Data>

<Data>01ca39dd2861e3a0</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

API.DLL sounds as if it could be the SimConnect stuff.

Cheers,

Siggy

Tried that, didn't help unfortunately.

I can confirm that when FSX is stuck in some dialog.

The log you showed is the problem that we are currently after. For the time being I can only recommend to rename the DLLs in the folder b21_vario so that no one is named "b21_vario.dll" anymore. This prevents FSX from loading one of those. You can also edit dll.xml, but this is easier and does the same. The loss of functionality is very subtle, really. After really extensive testing without any support from MS, all points to a fundamental bug in the SimConnect-Interface and we trying to find a workaround. This is most difficult, because the developer of the vario-dll does not suffer from the problem at all (one of the disadvantages of world wide teams).

The quickest and most promising way to solve the problem would have been to engage ACES in the problem but unfortunately MS has quit the unit, as everybody knows. It's a bit like repairing a broken radio just by turning the knobs.

regards,

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:	BEX

Application Name:	fsx.exe

Application Version:	10.0.61472.0

Application Timestamp:	475e17d3

Fault Module Name:	MSVCR80.dll

Fault Module Version:	8.0.50727.4016

Fault Module Timestamp:	49cc5361

Exception Offset:	00008aa0