Does anyone on this Forum knows how set up NAV on F-16?

FroggerQ101

Ok, i'Ve been trying to understand how to use Flight Plan on the F-16, how to manyal enter 2 Navs and browns to each of them, how to get the Steer Point to appear, but no way i can't, i even found a real F-16 manual PDF file of 249 pages today, and cannot figure it out since, most option doesn't work or button.

All i want to do is simple, if i make a Flight Plan, i wanna get the Steer pojnt to appear, i wanna be able to browse from Waypoint 1 to Waypoint 2 on the ICP or DED, i wanna set up my own NAV1 and NAV2 on the ICP and select which on i want to appear on the HUD, i can make NAV1 or 2 or GPS on the HSI, but i cannot find a way to control the DED or make the NAV names, distance etc.. appear on the HUD.

I'm really out of ideas, on default Acceleration F/A-18 i can do all that (besides making NAV2) I've tried to use al switcxh combination from the ones that might be used for it. :(

If anyone knows, heres the start and destination i use to practice my Landings, ILS, PAPI4, HSI Navigation etc.. if you can get me an idea how to set it up.

Start from NAV1, CYUL (Runway 6L, ILS Name: IUL, Freq.: 109.30, Course Selection 058 deg.)

Destination NAV2, CYMX (Runway 11, ILS Name: IJX, Freq.: 110.90, Course Selection 113 deg.)

Any help would be really appreciated, this plane is awesome, but flying it without understanding the navigation system, or knowing what is active in the sim or not for this purpose, makes it sad.

Guten Tag Frogger

just discovered your NAV1/NAF2 problem.

Did you solve it?

Report if still interested in solution.

Günter

Hola,

Well first, thanks for the reply, and nope, haven't figured it out yet, i've been doing other tries, but also in the mean time, had a problem with Acc. F/A-18 also as well since i've reinstalled, so was working on 2 front line. -_-

What i can do, is write you down the process, steps of what i do, so you can point-out easier what i do wrong, i will list down starting with a flight plan process, and one with manual navs input.

First, for this purpose, i take a Demo F-16 without any payload. (F-16AM RNLAF, J-055, 313 Sqnd DEMO, Volkel AFB) then i head to the Flight Plan Menu.

FLIGHT PLAN:

1- Departure: CYUL - Runway 6L (IUL, Freq. 109.30, 058 deg.)

2- Destination: CYMX - Runway («will land on 11» IJX, Freq. 110.90, 113 Deg.)

3- I select IFR

4- I leave Direct GPS

Inside F-16.

1- ISYN on to turn HUD On

On the Sensor Panel and HUD Panel (Fig1)

1- RADAR ALT: ON2- VV/VAH : On

3- ATT/FPM: On

4- DED DATA: On, even though seems it doesn't do much

5- DEPR: Off position for the GPS

6- CAS: On

7- ALT RADAR: Baro

8- HUD Brightness, as required

On the AVIONICS Panel (Fig2)

1- MMC (whatever, not used)

2- ST STA: On

3- MFD: On

4- UFC: On

5- INS: Norm. Position

6- GPS: On

7- DL: (whatever, not used)

I Select HSI on the right MFD (fig3) and shows indeed GPS

As seen on Fig3, the HUD Shows No Info on waypoints, DED Screen shows as Nav1(1 near arrows on upper/right corner CYMX which was Nav2.

For some reason i noticed now that HUD shows CYMX as Destination with 000 miles, which is odd for NAV2 which is a bit far

If i click 1 on the ICP i get info for NAV1, Freq and CRS ok for NAV1 that was CYUL, ans says ILS On (Fig4)

Then i select LIST on the ICP and select 4 for the Nav Status. (Fig5)

It shows 1 again near the arrows on upper/right hand.

NAV1 seems correct. Freq. 109.30 and CRS 058

NAV2 Don't know what does info are, says 058, CYMX has a 060 Runway but 110.60 definately ain't the Freq, so i set 11 runway, IJX, Freq. 110.90, CRS 113 Deg. using the RTN/SEQ Arm on the ICP up and down.

I turn the INs on NAV/ILS position on the INS knob in front of your left knee, below the ICP.

for some reason the HIS CRS indicator shows 332 deg, which i never entered anywhere and doesn't even match the Needles HSI near your knee that has a CRS of 058 which is CYUL the runway i start up from and his NAV1 on the flight plan.

I do have a Steer point when i select GPS on the DEPR Switch but, as you can see it show a 332 heading useless, and if i set the DEPR Swtich for NAV1 or 2, no Steer point at all on the HUD.

On the NAV1 Pisition the DEPR shows on the HUD the info for IUL, the runway i start up from, and runway 6L from CYUL, which is ok, if i set the DEPR on second position which is for NAV2, i get nada on the HUD not a single thing.

For now, let's forget the manualy entered Navs, once this clarified i'll be able to set it up. But for now i find pretty much incoherent infos happening.

Hopes it's clear for now. :blink:

Thanks.

post-27481-125304737969_thumb.jpg

Well, besides the fact it seems a little unrealistic to file an f-16 IFR flightplan CYUL CYMX for 17 nm nevertheless your plan is sufficient to demonstrate indications of HUD and MFD.Place aircraft in take-off position CYUL RWY 06L. note difference take-off pos and touchdown zone.

Follow all your steps exept FRQ NAV2. Instead 110.6 CRS 058 select 116.3 CRS 330. Reason: in present position you cannot receive destination ILS however VOR YUL

Now when stationary select HUD navigation source NAV1 and MFD HSI shows you good on centerline and below glidepath (because touchdown zone is still ahead) MFD in MAP mode shows one straight line to CYMX. Even HUD ILS localizer indication showing on centerline.

Now select navigation source NAV2. and MFD HSI shows you on track to YUL VOR 13 nm to go

Select navigation source GPS and MFD HSI shows 17 nm to destination CYMX. HUD tadpole symbol shows direction to CYMX As soon as you take off HUD will start to indicate time to fly and nm to destination.

To make MFD MAP mode show waypoints you have to set up an flightplan containing waypoints.

It took me some time of practice to realise and interprete all these HUD/MFD interactions correctly. The interaction between conventional HSI (center console) and MFD HSI is an extra problem , probably not intended this way by the designers.

Hope this helps.

Well, besides the fact it seems a little unrealistic to file an f-16 IFR flightplan CYUL CYMX for 17 nm nevertheless your plan is sufficient to demonstrate indications of HUD and MFD.Place aircraft in take-off position CYUL RWY 06L. note difference take-off pos and touchdown zone.

Follow all your steps exept FRQ NAV2. Instead 110.6 CRS 058 select 116.3 CRS 330. Reason: in present position you cannot receive destination ILS however VOR YUL

Now when stationary select HUD navigation source NAV1 and MFD HSI shows you good on centerline and below glidepath (because touchdown zone is still ahead) MFD in MAP mode shows one straight line to CYMX. Even HUD ILS localizer indication showing on centerline.

Now select navigation source NAV2. and MFD HSI shows you on track to YUL VOR 13 nm to go

Select navigation source GPS and MFD HSI shows 17 nm to destination CYMX. HUD tadpole symbol shows direction to CYMX As soon as you take off HUD will start to indicate time to fly and nm to destination.

To make MFD MAP mode show waypoints you have to set up an flightplan containing waypoints.

It took me some time of practice to realise and interprete all these HUD/MFD interactions correctly. The interaction between conventional HSI (center console) and MFD HSI is an extra problem , probably not intended this way by the designers.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for the reply, i will try this out later on and let you know.

The reason i made a flight plan for 17 nm is simple, those close buy runways are the one i always use for practice touch and go, finding my way with HSI, CRS, etc.. CYMX has PAPI4 runways and no PAPI4, CYUL has 3 runways, 6L has no PAPI4, 6R has PAPI4, so i can practice landing using ILS, no ILS just PAPI4 etc...

I used any of those 2 for FCLP, and since they are close, perfect tot ry out stuff instead of flying hours to try out NAV stuff. :) Once i know how to use with the GPS i'll figure out with manual NAVs

Hope this helps.

Hola,

Well i've just tried your tips, mostly works, but here's some questions, first i thought you select your departure then destination, thats why i gave NAV 2 the Runway information, it's CRS and it's Frequency, why do we instead give the VOR? and second, i do understand the 116.3 it's the VOR's Frequency, but i don't understand the 330 CRS.

As for the settings, i do have the opposite from you, i set up stuff, i restart the INS Switch, then when on NAV1, i do have the informatrion on the HUD for IUL (CYUL), indication 0 nm, but on the HSI i seem a little right from centerline and the GlidePatch on the HSI is centered.

As for NAV2, i do have the info on the HUD with YUL (VOR) and 13 nm, but on the HSI, it's shows 0 miles.

When switch is on GPS, yep on take off i do get the info on HUD about CYMX, with 13 miles or so to go to destination, but on HSI nothing, shows 0 miles. When on GPS the HSI show'S a CRS of 335 that i cannot change.

And when i set YUL, now i do have the Steer Cue on NAV2, before it was only showing on GPS.

With the settings as for the VOR, how can i know have the ILS for Lamdings, it makes me go straight at the airport, but doesn't help for lannding?

Guten Tag

Well the instrument flying busines is complex . It is impossible to explain in text each observation you make.

Take this ".....first i thought you select your departure then destination, thats why i gave NAV 2 the Runway information, it's CRS and it's Frequency, why do we instead give the VOR?"

The aerosoft f-16 MFD in HSI mode and NAV2 selected CAN NOT show ILS information at all. This is either a bug or it is not intended by the designers.

To demonstrate for you that MFD in HSI mode and NAV2 selected CAN show navigation aids other then ILS I selected YUL VOR 116.3 CRS 330.

This VOR is situated on track CYUL to CYMX.

Now MFD HSI shows you on course 13 nm to go.

During take off RWY 06 CYUL the course deviation indicator demands a left turn to return to track.

To give your training a more realistc schape I recommend to set up a flight plan CYUL to CYMX via YSC, VLV, YQB, YMX, MSS.

Before take off tune in VOR1 FRQ 111.3 CRS 060 and VOR2 FRQ 113.2 CRS 110.

During flight scrutinize MFD in MAP mode and HSI mode and HUD Steer Cue and other HUD data. (After passing waypoints you might change NAV2 VOR FRC/CRS data accordingly) End each flight with some additional practice ILS CYMX and read aerosoft f-16 manual.

Do that 50 times and you need not ask questions any more.

Auf Wiedersehen

Guten Tag

Well the instrument flying busines is complex . It is impossible to explain in text each observation you make.

Take this ".....first i thought you select your departure then destination, thats why i gave NAV 2 the Runway information, it's CRS and it's Frequency, why do we instead give the VOR?"

The aerosoft f-16 MFD in HSI mode and NAV2 selected CAN NOT show ILS information at all. This is either a bug or it is not intended by the designers.

To demonstrate for you that MFD in HSI mode and NAV2 selected CAN show navigation aids other then ILS I selected YUL VOR 116.3 CRS 330.

This VOR is situated on track CYUL to CYMX.

Now MFD HSI shows you on course 13 nm to go.

During take off RWY 06 CYUL the course deviation indicator demands a left turn to return to track.

To give your training a more realistc schape I recommend to set up a flight plan CYUL to CYMX via YSC, VLV, YQB, YMX, MSS.

Before take off tune in VOR1 FRQ 111.3 CRS 060 and VOR2 FRQ 113.2 CRS 110.

During flight scrutinize MFD in MAP mode and HSI mode and HUD Steer Cue and other HUD data. (After passing waypoints you might change NAV2 VOR FRC/CRS data accordingly) End each flight with some additional practice ILS CYMX and read aerosoft f-16 manual.

Do that 50 times and you need not ask questions any more.

Auf Wiedersehen

Cool thanks gain, first let me tell you, that i did read the manual before even flying it when i bought the add-on, but the manual explain some switches, doesn't explain the use of nav itself, since i don't have formation in VOR and CRS setup, makes it tought to understand the uses of VOR, NAV, GPS, i did read stuff in FSX in the read-out zone with all the manual, but the thing is, english ain't my spoken, primary language, so whens tuff are a bit tehcnical, makes it tougher to understand, and makes it easier when someone explain with-out so many details. Also it is a Sim, there is bugs, so when trying out stuff event hough reading manuals, the best way to know if something is a bug in the Sim or a missused, thats the best way to find out, as you can see below i found out what my MFD HSI destination problem was.

for the YUL selection on MFD HSI Nav2. As far as HSI showing nav info, well i found the problem, the thing is, i was using the left MFD on HSI since the MAP OSB doesn't work, and MAP on right MFD, but now i just discovered, the left MFD HSI is bugged, no distance, always shows 0 Miles, but in the right MFD HSI i do have 13 miles. It doesn't even show the circle on bottom, left-handed corner with the Heading and distance.

So if i understand, when making a flight path, you just don't make a starting point and destination, you go through VORs, which you change CRS, Freq fr the next one in line when passing the present waypoint? and once passed the last one, you enter the Freq and CRS of the runway you intend to land on so you get the ILS on HUD or HSI?

As for the CRS of YUL, how did you end up to find it's CRS 330? simply by approx looking on the Map and figuring out it's 330 from present location? Just asking in case on FSX Map theres stuff i havenM't discovered, since UYL and ILS doesn't show info other than Freq.

You help is really appreciated. :rolleyes:

"....first let me tell you, that i did read the manual before even flying it when i bought the add-on, but the manual explain some switches, doesn't explain the use of nav itself, since i don't have formation in VOR and CRS setup, makes it tought to understand the uses of VOR, NAV, GPS, i did read stuff in FSX in the read-out zone with all the manual, but the thing is, english ain't my spoken, primary language...."

Same problem here - had hard times and still learning.

"So if i understand, when making a flight path, you just don't make a starting point and destination, you go through VORs, which you change CRS, Freq fr the next one in line when passing the present waypoint? and once passed the last one, you enter the Freq and CRS of the runway you intend to land on so you get the ILS on HUD or HSI?"

I usually set destination ILS data before take off. When there are VOR waypoints I do not set FRC/CRS in NAV2 . This is usefull only to gain experience. I rely completely on HSI MAP mode.

"......how did you end up to find it's CRS 330? ...." Whatch solid green triangel in MFD HSI . I represents VOR needle.

You will make it.

Besides some odd design concepts and bugs, the aerosoft f-16 is good software.

Mainly the HUD in AA mode is absolutely superior - even against FSX Accel F-18.

Adios

"....first let me tell you, that i did read the manual before even flying it when i bought the add-on, but the manual explain some switches, doesn't explain the use of nav itself, since i don't have formation in VOR and CRS setup, makes it tought to understand the uses of VOR, NAV, GPS, i did read stuff in FSX in the read-out zone with all the manual, but the thing is, english ain't my spoken, primary language...."

Same problem here - had hard times and still learning.

"So if i understand, when making a flight path, you just don't make a starting point and destination, you go through VORs, which you change CRS, Freq fr the next one in line when passing the present waypoint? and once passed the last one, you enter the Freq and CRS of the runway you intend to land on so you get the ILS on HUD or HSI?"

I usually set destination ILS data before take off. When there are VOR waypoints I do not set FRC/CRS in NAV2 . This is usefull only to gain experience. I rely completely on HSI MAP mode.

"......how did you end up to find it's CRS 330? ...." Whatch solid green triangel in MFD HSI . I represents VOR needle.

You will make it.

Besides some odd design concepts and bugs, the aerosoft f-16 is good software.

Mainly the HUD in AA mode is absolutely superior - even against FSX Accel F-18.

Adios

I did make your proposes flight planed, worked fine, made me realised the reason i wasn't able to select waypoints using the up/down button under the 7 on the ICP was because you ned more than 1 waypoint of course, i thought a starting waypoint plus destination waypoint from GPS Flight Plan and NAV1 and NAV2 would had made 4, i understood navigation basicly wrong, now i know that i set up plan with the Flight Planer, fly on GPS and when about 6-7 miles from last waypoint, i turn NAV 1 with runway ILS infos which i set-up before take-off and use it for the landing ILS.

Thanks again for all this time and help, sorry i don't know how to say thank you in German, but hereit is in Dutch or french. :rolleyes:

Danke

Merci