Tug, on takeoff, sounds like it is at idle. Fix?

Anybody know how to modify the sounds of the tug so it doesn't sound like it's at idle?

I don't recall using a tug before I started using Aerotow so I don't know if the default FSX Maule sounds like it's at full grunt on takeoff, as it should, or not. But it, and all other aircraft, sure sound funny now.

Perhaps there's something that can be tweaked in Aerotow?

Do a google search on WinchX, so much easier and you can launch from almost anywhere.

Yup, I use it, and love it. Kinda handy, if you land out, to have a winch there ready to drag you back in the air.

Discovered a useful, if unrealistic, quirk in the program. I landed on a hillside and was sitting on a pretty good slope. When i launched the winch was miles and miles away and it took me up to 10,000! Yeah, that's cheating; but it was fun once.

Still, aerotow has its appeal too, if for no other reason than I like flying formation flying, even if you are tied to the leader with a rope. (I know a guy in NJ that uses to tow a huge banner with 3 Stearmans! Imagine flying THREE aircraft tied together? But then the Blue Angles back in Hellcat days did it too, apparently.)

FWIW, I've been flying out of North Plains OR as a beta tester for the forthcoming Orbx/FTX Pacific Northwest terrain add-on. I can't saying anything specific becaue of the nondisclosure agreement I signed except that after 40+ years and 10,000+ hours of flying I have, of late, found myself stooging around the area just looking out the window and enjoying the view! The guy doing the airport details is an artist! Glider pilots will love 1OR4.

Nobody asked, but for my money this package and REX2 make FSX about as close to reality as there is. Next, I need the Discus, but untill then, Cumulus X, Wolfgang, and the default DG-808S are keeping me happy.

Thanks for the suggestion, in any event, Bruce.

Discovered a useful, if unrealistic, quirk in the program. I landed on a hillside and was sitting on a pretty good slope. When i launched the winch was miles and miles away and it took me up to 10,000! Yeah, that's cheating; but it was fun once.

That happens because the winch keeps its initial place unless you choose "Reset" from the add-on menu. At the same time there is no limit for the cable length then. The cable length in the GUI is only used to determine the initial winch location.

I may tell you, though, that it might change in future (without further notice) :-)

regards,

Peter

I found no conclusive evidence either way on the sound issue, I only ran the tests from the Grob G-102 and no other aircraft. The first time up, the towplane started at idle (or somewhat above, it can be changed from within FSX Deluxe edition menu { Tools--> Traffic Tool--> Explorer menu, but You'll have to load up/install the SDK to get this menu item }). I will give a little video of the last flight, though it was flown with landing gear down basically the whole glide. Anyway, it seemed as though the rev went higher the faster we were going, but in that plane, it's hard to tell. I definitelly didn't hear the engine start to roar at the beginning, or I don't think I did. I'll do a check in another glider.

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

After further testing, I think the rpm's stay at the same level for the towplane. If I could place myself at the towplane or slightly above, I would know better, cause I'm not 100% sure it stays the same.

Anyway, I posted a couple videos here if anyone wants to see them, it shows the towplane being somewhat controlled by me http://www.forum.aer...56&#entry184556 .

Scott

• 1 year later...

The default Maule tow plane sounds correct, as long as you don't switch to external view and back. This problem with engine sounds happens with other aircraft besides the DG808S. To fix it, press the Q key to turn off sounds, then press it again to turn the sounds back on. This usually fixes any sound problems, and the Maule sounds the way it should.

Hook