Discus B and aerotowing

daveywavy

Surfing around the internet as you do I came across a Soar forum regarding aerotowing. However, the entries seem to have stopped in November 2008 so don't know if resolved and I was very interested.

Thought I would try out Discus B using the Aerotow program. This is a neat little addon into the main FSX Folder and you select your parameters before entering FSX proper - saves all that earlier messing with aircraft.cfg of the Maule(default) and the chosen new tow plane etc.( I am currently using a Piper Supercub.)

As expected Discus B performed well , so this is strictly speaking not a Discus question.

Anyway after that preamble/ramble here's the question. Has anyone yet got that tow plane to behave consistently? Say I select left circles in the pop-up menu . Tow plane turns as requested at 500ft but after about 180* straightens up again! I guess in about 1 in 10 tows it will waggle its wings and carry on turning (as it should)!! Bizarre.

I much prefer this aerotow method than the other option I have used which is via the FSX SDK Traffic ToolBox (I think), through the Addon entry in the top

menu of your FSX screen. Means flying in window mode only, and going in and out of the flying screen to select and reselect runway/direction

every time you want a turn.

I know Peter Lurkens (apologies no Umlaut) and B21 were actively asking the same question in that earlier forum - I'm still very interested. Anyone got an answer?

Has anyone yet got that tow plane to behave consistently? Say I select left circles in the pop-up menu . Tow plane turns as requested at 500ft but after about 180* straightens up again! I guess in about 1 in 10 tows it will waggle its wings and carry on turning (as it should)!! Bizarre.

Anyone got an answer?

Hi

I have never had this problem with erratic tow behaviour , mine will fly the set pattern untill I get dizzy , so I can't advise on a cure for the problem ,but there are actually two versions available ,the earlier one (which I personally prefer ) uses a self installer .....

http://lennundus.orgkaos.org/failid/workinprogress/aerotow.zip (378kb)

and a later version ....

http://lennundus.orgkaos.org/failid/workinprogress/aerotow/?M=D (255kb)

Both did in fact work perfectly for me , but I'm sure it wont hurt to try the one you dont have !

Thanks wingman5

I have tried both versions you mention - on my old machine and new one. No joy!

I noticed that in November 2008 Bruin was asking Paavo ( the developer?) for a fix to address this very problem - I wonder if any answer?

It is true the developer warned it was a bit of a trial program and could not guarantee stability.

You seem to be fortunate - happy aerotowing ---hey ho!

daveywavy

Paavo never answered me on my post. He must be busy with other things, I guess.

Anyway, I also got my hands on the earlier version and that one works fine on my computer.

Bert

Well - after bruin's post I thought I'd give it one last go. Deleted my Aerotow (new version) off computer but leaving EXE.xml entry intact.

Loaded earlier version and have just been in and out of FSX trying it. It works!

Tested Piper Supercub at different pattern durations; at down to 30 secs

achieved continuous circles up to release height. Changed tug to Pawnee and similar results.

Maybe I did not try the earlier version on my new computer after all. However, I'll leave my joy as not totally unalloyed and my rapture remains

modified for now -but all looks very promising (a small price to pay to lose the on-screen pop-up menu of the later version).

So, thanks to wingman5 and bruin for their help, and I'll now shut up about this subject!