CumulusX! 1.5

Peter Lürkens

Hi friends,

corresponding to the new Aerosoft Discus, the new CumulusX! 1.5 is released today.

What's new:

* Slope data base no more required

* Highly detailed ("3D") ridge lift algorithm (look into the manual)

* Improved thermal placement in mountains

* Better cloud models (try to thermal into the cloud!)

* Als always: Bug removal, e.g. in old release thermal leaning went a bit haywire whith wind layers

CumulusX! also has some competition functions for other software designers to ease detecting tampering with settings. It supports also licensing (for possible future use), but for now its exactly the same if your copy is registered or not.

I consider it also a bit like a public beta, though I do not expect major short comings.

Due to the huge traffic on my website, which has partly been caused by the direct link on the Discus product page I put the archive also here that It can be downloaded from the forum. My own web site is a bit limited in bandwidth as you know. Mathijs may link this post from the Discus page.My website is meanwhile up-to date to.

enjoy!

Peter

CumulusX1.5.zip

Hi Peter,

1.5 works great (as ever). Splendid new cloudset, although now it's harder to see the difference between FSX-default and CX!-clouds. But as Johan Cruijff once said: "every advantage has it's disadvantage" :)

In the manual you write that Simprobe is no longer needed for slope lift. But can I leave it active, so it can still produce IGC-files, or does it interfere with CX! and should I disable it?

Cheers,

Bert

Hi friends,

corresponding to the new Aerosoft Discus, the new CumulusX! 1.5 is released today.

What's new:

* Slope data base no more required

* Highly detailed ("3D") ridge lift algorithm (look into the manual)

* Improved thermal placement in mountains

* Better cloud models (try to thermal into the cloud!)

* Als always: Bug removal, e.g. in old release thermal leaning went a bit haywire whith wind layers

CumulusX! also has some competition functions for other software designers to ease detecting tampering with settings. It supports also licensing (for possible future use), but for now its exactly the same if your copy is registered or not.

I consider it also a bit like a public beta, though I do not expect major short comings.

Due to the huge traffic on my website, which has partly been caused by the direct link on the Discus product page I put the archive also here that It can be downloaded from the forum. My own web site is a bit limited in bandwidth as you know. Mathijs may link this post from the Discus page.My website is meanwhile up-to date to.

enjoy!

Peter

Peter,

I have installed the new version, and have a question. Should the Auto Thermal box be amber?

Thanks,

binky9

I have downloaded version 1.2, and now 1.5, but i always get an error message when clicking the install program (NT command script).

"cumulusx! has encountered problem and needs to close blah, blah. (dialogue box)

What is the problem? I had older versions of the program installed on previous machines, and i actually liked the ability to tweak the installation, by adjusting xml files and having some options if the installation did not go just right. now there seems to be no recourse if the loader program decides not to work. Can anyone suggest a solution, or even a problem. I tried the fix registry download also, no difference.

Thanks, I need my CumulusX!

RHB

PS, I have FSX service pack 2, and net framework installed. windows XP 32 bit.

just to add some system, details:

AMD dual core, 64x2, 5000+, 2.6gig processor, 3 gig ram ddr2, 1 gig graphics card

PS, I have FSX service pack 2, and net framework installed.

Do you exactly have SP2 installed fom the MS download, or dou you consider Accleration Pack has "being the same as SP2"? Did you install Dotnet _2.0_?

regards,

Peter

It's probably to early in the morning.

regards,

Peter

what? you're hung over? :)

Well done incorporating the 'probe' method for ridgelift slope calculation, which means sim_probe is no longer useful for ridgelift. I will produce an updated sim_probe which functions PURELY as a logger, as that's the only function necessary with Cx 1.5, and at the same time I'll give it a more appropriate name (like "logger"!) so it won't really be recognisable as 'sim_probe' although some of the code inside will be carried over...

B21

Do you exactly have SP2 installed fom the MS download, or dou you consider Accleration Pack has "being the same as SP2"? Did you install Dotnet _2.0_?

regards,

Peter

Peter thank you for the response, I have SP2 (microsoft download) installed, not acceleration, I have

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x86) installed

with this configuration no go. is dot net 2.0 different?

just checked my program files, i have

.net framework 2 service pack 2

.net framework 3 service pack 2

.net framework 3.5 SP1

all installed, is it a problem?

RHB

RHB,

looks all very good, so it should work. Could you further look here:

C:\Windows\WinSxS

and try to identify three entries looking like:

x86_microsoft.flightsimulator.simconnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.60905.0_none_dd92b94d8a196297

x86_microsoft.flightsimulator.simconnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.61242.0_none_e079b46b85043c20

x86_microsoft.flightsimulator.simconnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.61259.0_none_55f5ecdc14f60568

Please try to make an detailed error report by going to the the windows control panel, opening Administrative tasks and the event viewer. Go to the option application events and look out for errors (red exclamation mark) of CumulusX! or WinchX!. Make a screenshot of the event viewer window or copy the content of the error description. It should like something like the attached image.

best regards,

Peter

post-24548-125234753003_thumb.jpg

RHB,

looks all very good, so it should work. Could you further look here:

C:\Windows\WinSxS

and try to identify three entries looking like:

x86_microsoft.flightsimulator.simconnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.60905.0_none_dd92b94d8a196297

x86_microsoft.flightsimulator.simconnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.61242.0_none_e079b46b85043c20

x86_microsoft.flightsimulator.simconnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.61259.0_none_55f5ecdc14f60568

Please try to make an detailed error report by going to the the windows control panel, opening Administrative tasks and the event viewer. Go to the option application events and look out for errors (red exclamation mark) of CumulusX! or WinchX!. Make a screenshot of the event viewer window or copy the content of the error description. It should like something like the attached image.

best regards,

Peter

I found these three entries:

file:///C:/WINDOWS/WinSxS/x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.61259.0_x-ww_fb842f5a/

file:///C:/WINDOWS/WinSxS/x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.61242.0_x-ww_35e8ee9a/

file:///C:/WINDOWS/WinSxS/x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.61259.0_x-ww_fb842f5a/

and this is the error report, thanks again Peter for taking time to answer.

RHB

post-27420-125240026065_thumb.jpg

Thanks for 1.5!! I have been away from CumulusX! since I've been on sp1 only, but with the new Discus I broke down and installed sp2 so now can get back to it.

One thing I haven't seen is how does CumulusX! work with external weather programs like Active Sky? I think Active Sky advertises thermals, though I don't think it was ever explained just how it generates them.

scott s.

I found these three entries:

file:///C:/WINDOWS/WinSxS/x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.61242.0_x-ww_35e8ee9a/

and this is the error report, thanks again Peter for taking time to answer.

RHB

It's still looking good. I dug into the MS knowledgebase and found quite a number of references to "system.invalidoperationexception". It's almost impossible for me to decide from here which of those may apply to your system, or maybe even none at all.

Are you connected to automatic updates? You may pay "www.windowsupdate.com" a visit anyway and let it search for all updates, including important, recommended, _and_ optional, and look out for dotnet updates and hotfixes. Sometimes not all of them make it onto your machine, despite having it active.

Another possibility is: It seems that on my Vista 64 system Framework 3.5 SP1 is already sufficient for CumulusX!. So if you installed Framework 2.0 only for CumulusX! and Winch! you may try to uninstall 2.0 and try with only 3.5. I was not aware of that possibility until the weekend. I will try it out the evening on my retired XP-32 system. So you may wait for results.

regards,

Peter

Thanks for 1.5!! I have been away from CumulusX! since I've been on sp1 only, but with the new Discus I broke down and installed sp2 so now can get back to it.

One thing I haven't seen is how does CumulusX! work with external weather programs like Active Sky? I think Active Sky advertises thermals, though I don't think it was ever explained just how it generates them.

scott s.

Hi scott, welcome back.

There was another post around here I remember. Here it is:

CumulusX! & add on weather programs

regards,

Peter

Hi scott, welcome back.

There was another post around here I remember. Here it is:

CumulusX! & add on weather programs

regards,

Peter

Thanks I am not sure how I missed that. I take it whatever winds are injected into FSX by the external weather program will determine the ridge lift (aside from topography of course)?

scott s.

Are you connected to automatic updates? You may pay "www.windowsupdate.com" a visit anyway and let it search for all updates, including important, recommended, _and_ optional, and look out for dotnet updates and hotfixes. Sometimes not all of them make it onto your machine, despite having it active.

Yes I am. And i have double checked MS site.

Another possibility is: It seems that on my Vista 64 system Framework 3.5 SP1 is already sufficient for CumulusX!. So if you installed Framework 2.0 only for CumulusX! and Winch! you may try to uninstall 2.0 and try with only 3.5. I was not aware of that possibility until the weekend. I will try it out the evening on my retired XP-32 system. So you may wait for results.

regards,

Peter

In light of the above i have uninstalled the program, defragged, swept my system with advanced systems care diagnostic and repair. Perhaps I had some issues within FSX regarding other add ons or sequences.

Peter, Thanks so much, I will wait to see if you find out any other info on net framework 3.5 etc. before reinstall.

I use FSX only for a soaring sim. I use Xplane for vfr flying and general aviation flying. Currently i do not have Xplane installed, and may use another computer or HD for that in the future.

thanks again, RHB

Yes I am. And i have double checked MS site.

In light of the above i have uninstalled the program, defragged, swept my system with advanced systems care diagnostic and repair. Perhaps I had some issues within FSX regarding other add ons or sequences.

Peter, Thanks so much, I will wait to see if you find out any other info on net framework 3.5 etc. before reinstall.

I use FSX only for a soaring sim. I use Xplane for vfr flying and general aviation flying. Currently i do not have Xplane installed, and may use another computer or HD for that in the future.

thanks again, RHB

Success! I was able to reinstall FSX then install CX! 1.5 before any other add ons. the slope lift seems to work fine. However when I try to click the enable lift button,then check auto thermal box, the program crashes? I renamed the Thermal descriptions.xml, and I am running in windowed mode. Any suggestions Peter?

OK guess I should apologize for this post, I did some checking and realized that the configuration fields are initially left blank for auto thermals. Once I plugged in some values no problem. this differs from the way back version 1 which had values pre-established upon program load.

Thanks Peter for taking the time to help.

OK guess I should apologize for this post, I did some checking and realized that the configuration fields are initially left blank for auto thermals. Once I plugged in some values no problem. this differs from the way back version 1 which had values pre-established upon program load.

Hi RHB,

assume that now everything is working? Nevertheless, thanks for the hint with the empty configuration data. I will check it, if there is a regression.

regards,

Peter

Hi RHB,

assume that now everything is working? Nevertheless, thanks for the hint with the empty configuration data. I will check it, if there is a regression.

regards,

Peter

Peter, yes! everything is fine so far, ridge lift works flawlessly, I like the new cloud models, thermals are working, just have to tweak the auto thermals values a little to get more frequent instances. My skills at soaring are novice and i need all the lift I can find, Ha!

Again thanks,

John, (RHB)

Now on to add German landmarks and a few sailplanes, and i will be back in soaring heaven.

To those who may have a similar problem, i would suggest running FSX in windowed mode initially in case you get an error message, then you can see it in dialog box, other wise it will just be in back ground.

• 1 month later...
<br />I found these three entries:<br /><br />file:///C:/WINDOWS/WinSxS/x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.61259.0_x-ww_fb842f5a/<br /><br />file:///C:/WINDOWS/WinSxS/x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.61242.0_x-ww_35e8ee9a/<br /><br />file:///C:/WINDOWS/WinSxS/x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.61259.0_x-ww_fb842f5a/<br /><br /><br />and this is the error report, thanks again Peter for taking time to answer.<br />RHB<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hi RHB,

I am experiencing exactly the same problem as you were having. I get identical error messages with the following configurations:

.NET 1.1 and 2.0 installed

.NEt 1.1 and 2.0SP2 and 3.0 and 3.5SP1 installed

.NET 1.1 and 2.0SP2 installed

Uninstalling lower versions of .NET seems impossible if higher versions are present, so I was not able to test 1.1 in combination with 3.5 without 2.0

I'm getting close to doubting my sanity at this point hahaha :-D

Hope you or someone else can point me in the right direction!

I am experiencing exactly the same problem as you were having. I get identical error messages with the following configurations:

Hi schermvlieger,

make sure that you have FSX SP2 installed, or, if you want to run AXP, install FSX SP1 and SP2 first, then uninstall again SP2 and install AXP.

If you have AXP already installed, uninstall AXP, install SP2, reinstall AXP.

regards,

Peter

Hi schermvlieger,

Make sure that you have FSX SP2 installed, or, if you want to run AXP, install FSX SP1 and SP2 first, then uninstall again SP2 and install AXP.

If you have AXP already installed, uninstall AXP, install SP2, reinstall AXP.

regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter,

Yes I have SP2 installed. Don't know what AXP is but I guess it's acceleration pack; I don't have that extension.

Do you think removing and re-installing FSX and / or .NET in a particular order would solve the problem?

Looking at the .NET error message; is it somekind of functionality that FSX has to register with .NET upon installing, and is missing when you first install FSX and .NET afterwards? Or is the problem between .NET and CumulusX! not directly related to FSX? Maybe I am overthinking this, but I'd like to understand what's going on to prevent getting in the same situation in the future, and hope that others can use the information on this forum as well.

Thanks again for your help so far!

I managed to fix the problem!

I'll summarize so people with the same problem can compare their situation with mine:

1. Installed FSX on top of WindowsXP SP3

2. Installed FSX SP1

3. Installed FSX SP2

4. Installed .NET 2.0

5. Tried to install cumulusx! - automatic install with the .CMD script failed with a .NET specific error

6. Installed cumulusx! manually by placing config files in respective directories

7. Started FSX - cumulusx! generated .NET error message - illegal instruction

8. Installed and de-installed .NET 3.5 - no effect

- This is where i think the real fix starts:

9 . Run the FSX "repair" installation from the original DVD

10. Reinstall FSX SP1 and SP2

11. Tried to install cumulusx! - automatic install with the .CMD script failed again, but not because of a .NET specific error - this may be unique to my system and is probably not relevant

12. Since the cumulusx! files from step 6 were still in place, I fired up FSX just to see what would happen

13. During FSX startup, a message from cumulusx! about generating default settings came up, and the main window appeared!

I suspect that the proper way to install FSX/Cumulusx on a fresh system is:

1. Install .NET 2.0 (minimal version, higher versions should be okay as well, I think those include all lower versions)

2. Install FSX + service packs

3. Install Cumulusx! either with the install script or manually

Hope this helps other people having the same problems.

Many thanks again for your help Peter