Spoiler control

• Aerosoft

I had no idea how important the spoiler was on a glider until I tried to land one on a field that was not the size of Texas. Now I know.

And if you got the a controller that has additional sliders spend a few minutes setting that up for the spoiler. See the image below and it'll all make good sense. Just select that field and then slide the slider so FSX knows what you are trying to tell it.

I am also rather surprised how well this works with most other aircraft. No longer binary on/off spoilers. Now I can control the spoilers from full in to full out smoothly.

post-43-125208874268_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I agree - in my case I have (an excellent) Microsoft Forcefeedback 2 joystick that unfortunately only has 1 slider control, but it was worth moving the throttle OFF that axis onto a couple of buttons (throttle up, throttle down) to free up that slider axis for the spoilers...

Great little program suggestion but just a reminder for everyone: 2 of the Discus Models do have engines so remember you will need BOTH the spoiler and throttle mapped ;) not just one or the other in order to operate both variably (as B21 has done).

After I have arrived at, and opened, the dll.xml file, how do I modify it?

Thanks,

binky9

I recently made some changes in the "standard.xml" file by opening it using notepad and made

my changes. When you save it I think it changes the extension to "txt". All I did was change it back to

".xml" and it worked fine. Of course, SAVE YOUR ORIGINAL FILE FIRST just in case something goes wrong.

Steve

binky - open dll.xml in NOTEPAD... then you can edit it. By default, Windows will open an xml file with some other xml browser which is read-only. (Right-click, open with... Notepad)...

B21

• Aerosoft

Great little program suggestion but just a reminder for everyone: 2 of the Discus Models do have engines so remember you will need BOTH the spoiler and throttle mapped ;) not just one or the other in order to operate both variably (as B21 has done).

Nono... First of all the BT does not have any throttle, it runs full blast or it's off, and on the BM it is very worthwhile to use the mouse (or keyboard F2-F3) to control the throttle.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is a neat little program from Paavo Pihelgas...... gives the best of both worlds .

http://www.fsdevelop...read.php?t=8915

I have both the .ini and the .dll files in FSX/Modules but, when I start a Discus mission, I don't have the throttle2sploiler listed under "Addons". I do have SimProbe, WinchX, CumulusX, FSEarth, and FSRecorder. They all work. Is there a limit to how many addons you can have?

Here is the .dll file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">

<Descr>Launch</Descr>

<Filename>dll.xml</Filename>

<Disabled>False</Disabled>

<Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>FS_Earth</Name>

<Path>FS_Earth\fs_earth.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>Object Placement Tool</Name>

<Disabled>True</Disabled>

<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>

<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>Traffic Toolbox</Name>

<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>Visual Effects Tool</Name>

<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon><Name>FS Recorder Module</Name><Disabled>False</Disabled><ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad><Path>C:\Program Files\FS Recorder for FSX\RecorderFSX.dll</Path></Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>throttle2spoiler</Name>

<Path>Modules\throttle2spoiler.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

</SimBase.Document>

Does it look tight?

I am using the MS FF2 joystick.

Thanks,

binky9

Nice joystick - classic.

The dll.xml file looks fine, and there's no limit to the number of addons.

A few checks:

1) that xml.dll file you listed *is* the real one in "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX" not another copy somewhere else. ([DRIVE]:\Documents and Settings\[uSERNAME]\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX or if on Vista, [DRIVE]:\Users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX)

2) look in the FSXBASE\Modules folder and confirm throttle2spoiler.dll and throttle2spoiler.ini are in there.

3) Did you get the "do you trust this DLL?" message on FSX startup or not at all? If you got the message then the xml file is ok, otherwise not.

B21

Nice joystick - classic.

The dll.xml file looks fine, and there's no limit to the number of addons.

A few checks:

1) that xml.dll file you listed *is* the real one in "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX" not another copy somewhere else. ([DRIVE]:\Documents and Settings\[uSERNAME]\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX or if on Vista, [DRIVE]:\Users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX)

2) look in the FSXBASE\Modules folder and confirm throttle2spoiler.dll and throttle2spoiler.ini are in there.

3) Did you get the "do you trust this DLL?" message on FSX startup or not at all? If you got the message then the xml file is ok, otherwise not.

B21

B21,

I was not getting the message. So, it looks like your #3 is the problem, I have gone back to the backup copy of the .dll file I made before adding the throttle2spoiler section. FSX is working fine with it. I know you have told me before, but bear with me. After saving the .dll file in Notebook, and adding the throttle2spoiler section, how do I get it back into the .dll format? I am such a dunce, when it comes to computers. I couldn't survive, without these forums.

Thanks,

binky9

how do I get it back into the .dll format?

there's a typo in your post - are you clear the file is called "dll.xml" not <something>.dll ?

So you open the file in Notepad, edit the entry you want (as you wrote is fine), and then File->Save. If you really need to make sure you save it with the right name, do Save As... "dll.xml".

So there's no such thing as the ".dll format" - the file should just contain the text as you edit with Notepad, and save with the name dll.xml

I've just had a thought, I wonder if you're saving it as "dll.xml.txt" ?? Make sure when you do Save As..., the "filename" is "dll.xml" and the "Save as type" is *NOT* "Text Documents (.txt)" but should be "All Files" so that Windows doesn't stick a dopey ".txt" on the end of the file name...

B21

there's a typo in your post - are you clear the file is called "dll.xml" not <something>.dll ?

So you open the file in Notepad, edit the entry you want (as you wrote is fine), and then File->Save. If you really need to make sure you save it with the right name, do Save As... "dll.xml".

So there's no such thing as the ".dll format" - the file should just contain the text as you edit with Notepad, and save with the name dll.xml

I've just had a thought, I wonder if you're saving it as "dll.xml.txt" ?? Make sure when you do Save As..., the "filename" is "dll.xml" and the "Save as type" is *NOT* "Text Documents (.txt)" but should be "All Files" so that Windows doesn't stick a dopey ".txt" on the end of the file name...

B21

B21,

You were right about the .txt file. I changed things, got the message, and have throttle2spoiler as an addon. My only problem now, is changing the button for the spoilers on my joystick to blank. But, I find the "Recorder" tab in the joystick settings has a problem and won't open. Everything else is fine, thanks to you. I'll now work on this new problem.

binky9

• 2 years later...

I have tried the above software add-in and the spoilers are either fully open or fully closed when the slider is executed on the joystick.

I.E. I cannot set the spoilers to a halfway position or does it not work like this?

I have tried different axis min max values but has not made an difference.

• Aerosoft

I have tried the above software add-in and the spoilers are either fully open or fully closed when the slider is executed on the joystick.

I.E. I cannot set the spoilers to a halfway position or does it not work like this?

I have tried different axis min max values but has not made an difference.

If you got a stick that has a slider that's not being used I would just use that without any additional software. We have seen these small tools often fail.