Discus Glider X released

• Aerosoft

Do not think that gliders are boring and silent machines. The Discus is capable of speeds, altitudes, range and aerobatics that make most GA aircraft envious. Of course you can choose to make flights of many hours but you can also find some ridge lift and play around for a while. The Aerosoft Discus is a high end simulation of a high end glider.

The Discus is a Standard Class glider created by Schempp-Hirth. It was produced in Germany between 1984 and 1995 and around 850 aircraft are still flying. It is still produced in the Czech Republic in low numbers. With its distinctive swept back leading edge it was rather revolutionary when it was produced and it totally dominated the standard class sailplane racing throughout the 1980s and won the 1985, 1987 and 1989 World Gliding Championships. Though it is no longer a top contender for the prices (the progress in gliders in the last 10 years is nothing short of amazing), it is still a high performance glider with a 42 to 1 glide ratio. The good natured flight characteristics made it a perfect club glider for the experienced gliders. The later models (though many are retrofitted) had winglets that made the performance and handling better. In Europe it is one of the most prolific gliders and it is very typical of gliders that the thousands of enthusiasts fly every weekend.

The Aerosoft Discus has been create with help from Schempp-Hirth and without a doubt it is the first true high end glider add-on for FS. From the flight models that is near perfect (do note we never used these words for any product before) to the C4 Flight Computer that is the heart of the instruments it is all so accurate that we feel 100% confident to provide the customer with the 'real' manuals, of course with permission of the copyright owners. There are ten models included but they can be divided into three base models. We got four B models that are pure gliders, four BT models that got a small engine that allows the pilot to cruise between thermals and two BM models that allow the pilot to take off on its own power. All ten models got different flight models. As FSX does not allow any motorized aircraft to be air towed we even include the very realistic WinchX! add-on that simulates a which launch down to the smallest details. This is a very complete project that will give you all options modern glider pilots got.

Go here for the product pages or here for the special Aerosoft Discus Glider X forum that both German and English

Features:

• Fully professional development (over 20 months).
  • Ten high detail models (for example just the VC of the BT model has 146384 polygons, more than double of what FS2004 could compile) using all the FSX options.
  • Highly advanced flight models that are accurate even in spins and other no standard attitudes.
  • Over 100 non standard sounds (like flying with open windows, side slips, pending stalls etc) all triggered by FSX variables and conditions using Aerosoft Sound Control.
  • Full working water ballast system.
  • Two Static ports (with selector) to avoid problems when using the auxiliary engines.
  • Dozens of non standard animations, up to elements that move under high G load.
  • Very realistic flexing wings created with a new technology.
  • All instruments accurate, including TEC and NETTO variometers. Not like this simplified gauges in the default glider in FSX.
  • Real usable yaw string that will make coordinated flight a lot easier.
  • All models include a highly realistic C4 Flight Computer that allows then pilot to calculate ideal speeds and routes.
  • Includes a licensed copy of Winch X! .
  • Designed with full support of Schempp-Hirth, SDI Variomers and the SOAR online glider community.
  • Includes a FSX manual (English) and the actual 'real' manuals for the gliders and C4 Flight Computer (English and German)

discusglider_22.jpg

discusglider_2.jpg

discusglider_23.jpg

It has been a while since i made my PPL-C (german sailplane license)

and i only have experiences in the Twin- and Club Astir, but i have

to admit, that this Discus is a perfect simulation!

I love the sound of the airstream with the open slider-window...

Congratulations, aerosoft!

Timo

• Aerosoft

It has been a while since i made my PPL-C (german sailplane license)

and i only have experiences in the Twin- and Club Astir, but i have

to admit, that this Discus is a perfect simulation!

I love the sound of the airstream with the open slider-window...

Congratulations, aerosoft!

Timo

Thanks!

You do know there are over 100 additional sound like that hey?

I notice some shots with a pilot figure, some without. Regarding the VC - is that an option to fly with out the pilot figure?

Thanks,

Joe

Sure is, and happy flying if and/or when you purchase. This is one sim that will blow you away....

I notice some shots with a pilot figure, some without. Regarding the VC - is that an option to fly with out the pilot figure?

Thanks,

Joe

Yes, as James has confirmed; simply look down and click with with your mouse cursor on the seat buckle harness. VOILA! The pilot disappears or reappears (everytime you click).

Yes, as James has confirmed; simply look down and click with with your mouse cursor on the seat buckle harness. VOILA! The pilot disappears or reappears (everytime you click).

Thanks James and Robert - will be adding to my stable shortly. :)

Joe

I have installed the Discus, flew the Austria 1st day, and set a new course record. All in all, a pretty good day.

I have some observations:

1) Several times during this flight, I suddenly saw the altitude change on the C4 to 1-3,000 ft lower than I had seen a moment before. The altimeter didn't change, though.

2) I can't read the compass, no matter how close I get to it. Could it be a little bigger and/or sharper?

3) The topography on the PDA needs to have a lot more contrast, so that we can see more details while flying in the mountains. Maybe a different color then yellow is the answer.

4) In comparing the cockpit I see in the Discus with the FSX DG808S, the field of view seems to be wider with the DG at the same zoom setting.

5) I think the reflections off the top of the canopy are too noticeable, and make it harder to see into a turn.

6) Changing settings on the PDA is just as hard in the Discus as they are in a real glider. That's not a criticism.

The plane flies very well, but I need to get use to the rudder pressure needed for a turn. Thermaling, however, was a breeze.

Congratulations on a fine addition to FSX soaring.

binky9

Hi

As a new member of Forum this is my first post!

Downloaded new DiscusX, much eagerly awaited. I have some comments, maybe members can shed a light!

1) Cockpit is dimmest lit of all my FSX planes - difficult to read panel. However, using my usual dodge I copied DG808S (default) vc light to

aircraft.cfg of Discus and it worked. However, compass remains virtually unusable. Also, panel is not as sharp as in images of Matthias and team

and panel labels are bad. Is this a common problem with Acceleration pack?

2) A technical problem - the engine of Discus BT will not retract after use. Toggle switch clicks but nothing happens. Any ideas?

Fortunately the Discus BM performs perfectly and this was the great attraction of this sailplane for me.

3) No trim lever, or am I missing something?

4) One or two otherwise minor niggles - clickable mouse not always working on the switches - I need to zoom in/ out a bit to work it.

Some variation of frame rate on pan view and in thermal turns ( I run at a fixed 35 fps, or attempt to)

Overall though this is an important piece of addon for FSX glider buffs like me. I love the varied sounds and the performance of the aircraft.

Taking off under your own steam is a delight (now that I think I have mastered it!) there is nothing like it in all the freeware out there.

My system is Fsx Gold running on: 3ghz dual core, 4 gb RAM, 1 gb ATI/Radeon video card, XP Pro with service packs.

My main interest is in sailplanes - I think I have all the modern ones of Wolfgang Piper ( which I can edit in the 2d panel to configure

as I like - very pleased with these) and been using Flight Sim for about three years. I must say the addition of Simprobe and CumulusX

gave a wonderful dimension to soaring - I really take my hat of to programers who can do such things!

daveywavy

The instruments are all perfectly readable.

Please come into the glidersection, I will help.

Joachim

Joachim

How do I get to this "glidersection"? Couldn't find it using Search, or any other way find a glider forum showing your help.

Sorry,

binky9

Yes, the PDA is really small, I think I'll add a window with it so I can pop it up in flight.

Koala,

Would you share the steps to do the added window?

Thanks,

binky9