Nice X - Request Patch, Suggestion or Refund

cmpbllsjc

Hey Limp, what were they saying over there?

I wonder what is going on here since we haven't heard back from Peter yet? Maybe there still at the convention.

I hope they are able to get this scenery working for us nVidia card users. I talked privately to some other developers about ways to improve this scenery, but they said it wouldn't be possible without the original Gmax or 3DS Max source code.

I mipped a lot of the textues which was time consuming because they are not all DXT3. There were a few in there that are DXT5 and one lightmap texture that belongs to the the DXT5 day texture that was DXT3. Also mipping the BMPS was the same deal since some of them are DXT1. I was able to eliminate most of the shimmering, but there is still something wrong because I am getting a lot of ground blurring outside the airport area. Kind of like something is hogging CPU cycles or memory.

Also another developer told me that with SP2, FSX doesn't support LOD anymore in .BGL files so, this affects basically everybody, except for those who are drawing most of their 3D objects in C++, not using .BGL. I think Peter said they use LOD, but if its true that it's not supported in SP2 by .bgl this may be part of the performance problem.

Any how, I hope we hear back from Peter soon so that our misery ends. I would very much like to use this scenery and get good performance like I do with all my other sceneries, plus I would like to buy Monaco X to use with this airport, but I am done buying Aerosoft stuff unless this airport get fixed.

I find it's a long time to correct this :mad:

The nvidia card are the most common cards on computers ... I don't understand how Aerosoft released a scenery with a bug like this.

Hello Tulma,

Lets put the shoe on the other foot and lets argue the point why is it that ATI cards can handle these textures and Nvidia cant.

So who is to blame the scenery developer or the card maker who's card cant handle the texture correctly!!

So please be a little patient as theres a lot cracking off this weekend and its all had to be arranged so things

will be a little slower.

• Upvote 1

Tulma, I'm guess that they are at some flight sim convention in Germany.

I'm still trying to determine where the performance hit is coming from in the airport. By eliminating the bgls one at a time I have noticed everytihing is fine until you add the LFMN_library.bgl back in which contains all the buildings. The aerial photo bgls also seem to be very slow to load the textures, which is weird because I have all kinds of photo scenery by MegaScenery that loads really quickly. So basically something is up with the buildings and the textures that go to them. Although the aerial bgls aren't helping much either since they are causing a slight drain, but not as bad as the buildings. Maybe there is a problem with the way the buildings were either modeled or the bgl was complied. I have a lot of complex airports that don't give me an FPS hit like this one does, especially considering how small it is.

Hello Tulma,

Lets put the shoe on the other foot and lets argue the point why is it that ATI cards can handle these textures and Nvidia cant.

So who is to blame the scenery developer or the card maker who's card cant handle the texture correctly!!

So please be a little patient as theres a lot cracking off this weekend and its all had to be arranged so things

will be a little slower.

Shaun, I think the reason he and the others are upset is that every other sceneries we own work fine with nVidia cards. We all own sceneries by FSDT, FlyTampa, Imaginsim, RGFlight, and even older Aerosoft stuff, but for some reason, recent releases by Aerosoft like NiceX, Monastir, and Luebeck people are suddenly having issues with performance and flickering. All the other sceneries we own work fine with nVidia cards. I think this is why we are wondering what has changed in developement lately.

Hello Tulma,

will be a little slower.

Ok, I understand but it's very irritating to buy an addon that don't works properly. Like it was a beta version. I hope you understand us.

Really, I think there was not enough tests before release and I hope this problem will be resolved as soon as possible

Hello cmpbllsjc,

But as I say one must also ask the reason why such cards cant handle the same textures as ATI can.

What is it that ATI can do that Nvidia cant?

Ultimately its down to the card not being able to handle the textures the same way as ATI can.

Maybe ATI are paying people off, shall we start a conspiracy theory ;)

However I will be bringing this point up with the shadows issue :)

• Upvote 1

But as I say one must also ask the reason why such cards cant handle the same textures as ATI can.

Hello Shaun,

There are many reports on ATI cards getting in trouble with dense clouds.

So, starting at Nice with blue sky and without flickering, I don't want to change my video card before landing at London with dense clouds. ;)

Bests, Remark

Hello Shaun,

There are many reports on ATI cards getting in trouble with dense clouds.

So, starting at Nice with blue sky and without flickering, I don't want to change my video card before landing at London with dense clouds. wink.gif

Bests, Remark

Well.... I have the cheapest card possible; ATI 4650 and - believe it or not - I have no problems with clouds either. Maybe in the past, but atm I get very decent FPS. But even if I did - and that is Shauns' point- I'd blame ATI not Active sky or any other producer.

Jeroen

In that case then, if it's all of nVidia fault for not being able to display this scenery correctly, then it sould be stated on the product page that it is for FSX SP2 w/ATI cards only, or that the scenery is not recommended for use with nVidia cards.

Either way, whether it's the fault of nVidia or the way the developer constructed the scenery doesn't matter to me. The fact is, this is the only addon scenery I have that doesn't work correctly. So, for what ever reason nVidia cards can display all my addon on sceneries from all other manufactures, with good FPS I might add, and be able to also correctly render my addon aircraft, makes me think that some type of different technique was used to put this scenery together. What ever it is, according to other users is also manifesting itself in some of the other newer adddons like Monastir and Luebeck.

• Upvote 3

Hello cmpbllsjc,

Ultimately its down to the card not being able to handle the textures the same way as ATI can.

Maybe ATI are paying people off, shall we start a conspiracy theory ;)

What a ludicrous and childish argument.. Its the job of the developer and publisher to release a working product on both systems.. I dont see it mentioned in the sales blurb this only works on ATI so why on earth should I expect anything but a working product.. If as seems to be being indicated this was checked properly and the ATI/Nvidia issue was found to be the cause it should have been sent back to the developer to sort out before ever seeing a final release..

Hello,

the flightsim-conference is terminated and I can Nice work itself. B)

I read and will now times see your contributions, what I can still make except mipmaps, e.g. dissolution to 1024x1024 to reduce. That I will make today still everything finished. The update comes now very at short time.

OK? Thank you you all for the feedback. :)

Hello,

the flightsim-conference is terminated and I can Nice work itself. cool.gif

I read and will now times see your contributions, what I can still make except mipmaps, e.g. dissolution to 1024x1024 to reduce. That I will make today still everything finished. The update comes now very at short time.

OK? Thank you you all for the feedback. smile.gif

Thanks for the update Peter, figured you were at the conference.

Since you read all the posts, is there anything you can do with the performance FPS wise, besides just the mipmaps. Here's why I ask. While you were gone I spent some time mipping the textures to a level of 8 mips for all the DXT3 and DXT5 .dds files. While I was at it, I also mipped the DXT3 bmp's with a level of 8 mipmaps per texture. I was able to eliminate pretty much most of the shimmers, however FPS stays pretty low, about 21 FPS no matter which direction I look with no AI planes. There also seems to be a strain on resources coming from the aiport which is giving me blurry gound textures on the outside of the airport until I get about 10 to 15 miles away from it, then things return to normal.

As a test, I removed the .bgls one at a time to see what was causing the problem and I got it elimated to the LFMN_library.bgl, which contains all the airport buildings. I have a lot of other addon sceneries from Aerosoft, FSDT, FlyTampa, etc., that are also have a lot of mipmapping and are complex airports, but I am able to usually maintain 30 FPS or more without and ground textures becoming blurry. I also have a pretty fast computer, E8400 running at 3.85 ghz per core, but I am only having the FPS problem at this airport. I'm not sure what is causing the low FPS. Even with no autogen or AI planes its pretty low FPS for a small airport.

Anything you can do would be great. If you need more info I can post some comparison shots going into the other Aerosoft airport like Hannover, Cologne/Bonn, Munster/Osnabruck, Madeira, FSDT Zurich and Geneva, etc. where I am getting 30 to 40 FPS on approach and only 14 to 20 FPS at Nice in the same conditions.

Let me know, I would be glad to help in any way.

Hello,

the update will give it in or to two days to the download.

I made everything, what one can do:

- Mipmaps into all textures (except ground aerial textures)

- Reduction of the resolution of some textures

I have still another 3 years old PC and I have with Nice 16-20 F/s (limits on 22 F/s). The reduction brought about 1-2 Frames. On a current PC we reach 35-40 F/s, with best waters and cloud representation.

Hi,

got the very same problems with the NICE airport scenery (heavy flimmering and flickering- FSX, DX9, Vista, Geforce),

so its no fun to use. I have a lot of addons installed (payware and freeware), some of those have very detailled buildings and textures,

but do not show that effect. Thus, the flimmering seems to be an intrinsic problem of the Nice airport scenery.

The update didnt bring any improvement.

Two questions/comments

Since I assume that many Geforce users are faced with that problem -

should the quality check (prior to selling) not have been able to detect that fault ?

The fact that the Nice scenery seems to work well with ATI cards is not of any use for me.

A computer with a Nvida card is not really an exotic configuration. If the NiCE scenery is

really unique in terms of high quality textures, in my oppinion such special high quality

textures do not make sense in FSX.

However, I have to say that I have been always satisfied with products from aerosoft.

Thus, that one is the first product that makes hard problems.

yours sincerely, frank

Hello Flightsimmer,

the update for Nice X version 1.02 is finished, I had the installation yesterday once again tested and it should now soon online be available. I think it give there still another short report on the homepage of aerosoft. B)

Thanks for the update Peter. Is this update all inclusive? What I mean is that after going to patch 1.01 I reverted back to the standard download version. So do I need to install 1.01 then 1.02, or can I just go from the original download to the second patch 1.02?

I am looking forward to trying it out. I'll be checking the update section for it.

Thanks.

I see it's up now to download. I just took off from Miami enroute to Rio so it will be about 9 hours until I can try it. I am interested to see how it works. I mipped all the stuff while I was waiting, so I will revert everything back to the files that it started with. I hope it not only fixed the shimmering but the low FPS I was getting there as well.

For me, it's better ...

but there is always too much shimmering, on the ground and some buildings, cars parking around the airport ...

Tulma, what kind of performance do you get there FPS wise with no traffic?

Without traffic, with defaut airplane (C172) I'm about 20 fps. It's correct.

I'm very disapointed about the shimmering, even with 1.02. Other airports addons work very well without this kind of problem (Nice from FranceVFR for exampe, Geneva ...)

For me it's not playable. I've the choice between Riviera FranceVFR and Aerosoft NiceX and after Uptdate to the 1.02 patch, I prefer re install FranceVFR :angry: