Nice X - Request Patch, Suggestion or Refund

cmpbllsjc

Hey guys. I was so excited about Nice X comming for FSX, however there are in my mind some problems with this airport. The layout, artwork, photo scenery, etc, are beautiful, however there seem to be some underlying problems, namely with the textures.

As mentioned by a few other users that I tried to help, the flickering of the ground and building textures is way to much. I'm not sure if this was basically an FS9 to FSX port, but frankly it doesn't seem to be optimized at all for FSX based on the performance I am getting. The problem is that when you map the majority of the textures it increases the file sizes from 10235kb to 1366kb, which seems to add up enough to drag performance down. From the download and install I was getting around 40 to 50 FPS but with horrible flickering textures. After mipping it has cut the FPS down to around 20 FPS, which still is not bad, but thats without even adding AI or heavy weather.

I am running 8X AA and 16X AF on an 8800 GTS 512, with an E8400 clocked at 3.85 and 2 gigs of RAM at 1066 mhz. The set up of FSX was professionally done by FS-GS so I know that it's not a problem with my system or settings. Aside from the fact that all the other sceneries I have purchased from Aerosoft, FSDT, FlyTampa have not had problems like this one does with the flickering textures.

So I am requesting one of three things.

1. A patch from the developer that can correct these problems with the flickering textures.

2. Suggestions from Aerosoft telling me how I can optimize this myself to work better or explaining to me how they got this scenery to work without flickering like mad.

3. If none of the above can be accomplished, I would respectfully like to ask for either a refund or a credit I could apply to another product in the future. Granted I have not bought everything you have distributed like James Chames has, I have bought a few things that I have been extremely happy with. Unfortunately, so far this is one I am not so happy with due to the problems I have mentioned. This is actually the first time since 2003 that I have bought a scenery for either FS9 or FSX, or an addon for that matter that I have actually not been happy with. In fact, I have never requested a refund from Flight1 which I have bought a lot of things from over the past 6 years.

In the end, I don't want a refund. I just want the product to look like it should. I don't know how you guys installed this on your system and dont have the flickering textures. I can live with the static jetway, which I can't understand why an FSX addon airport wouldn't have moving jetways, but there is also a few bumps in one runway and one taxiways that needs to be fixed. Feels like driving over a speed bump.

What can we do to fix this?

Regards,

Sean

• Upvote 1

I agree

Exactly the same requests ( as mentioned in some other posts by many users ) for the same problems.

My config : Q9550, 4GO Ram, Geforce GTX260, AAx8S and AFx16, Vista 64.

I hope too for a patch soon.

Luc

As per my previous post I with Sean on this one. I can't fly with scenery in it's present state.

Mathijs, there hasn't been a reply from Aerosoft since you suggested it was a DX10 issue. Is there

any movement by yourselves on this issue?

Regards, Jon

Not to Hijack a post(I dont get flickering but thats not to say others don't) but can we also have some movement re the 22R afcad problem (or whatever they are called in FSX)a dismissive we dont know how to fix it is a bit worrying

Hi guys, didn't experience flickering... I am not using the DX10 preview which causes only problems... Try going back to the Nvidia 182.50 drivers and stay in DX9. The sim is extremely fluid, has Anti aliasing and no flickering... Just my 2 cents.

• Aerosoft

As per my previous post I with Sean on this one. I can't fly with scenery in it's present state.

Mathijs, there hasn't been a reply from Aerosoft since you suggested it was a DX10 issue. Is there

any movement by yourselves on this issue?

Regards, Jon

I'll have a talk about this. We are unable to see the issue here, as shown I get a lovely 50 fps without any problems (in DX10 I see see some texture problems but that's what we expected more or less). We got a few hundred sold copies and it seem the problem is only happening on a few systems. That always makes it much harder to find out what's causing it on those machines. To be sure the files are okay, I just installed the files on a clean system, clean FSX SP2 and could not see any problems.

Now, and this is a touchy subject, but we can only guarantee our files work on a standard FSX, when we read that people got 'tuned' setups where there are configuration files edited we often get pretty scared. These things are the cause of about 15% of the support we get. If these people de-install and re-install the problems are gone, but it is about the last thing we'll ask customers as we know what a pain in the neck it is. Now for sure these high res textures make problems in DX10, the underlying scenery can creep up, all very well known issues for us, that's why we advise against DX in the manual and don't claim DX10 compatibility on the product pages. This scenery was never used or designed in FS2004 in any way. It's a spin of from a professional development.

I'll have a talk to the developers.

Thanks Mathijs. Just to clarify.

1. I'm not using DX10 preview, just DX9

2. Scenery had the display issues straight out of the install.

3. I made backups of all the scenery/textures before I mipped anything. Thats pretty much a standard thing I do everytime I install a new plane or scenery is to make back ups of the originals.

4. The only reason I tried mipping the textures was because the whole scenery was flickering like crazy when I first installed it. Going back to my original back ups only makes it worse again.

5. I wouldn't read anything into my set up as specially "tuned". It's rather that it is set up correctly, by a professional service that specializes in MS flight sims, but nothing out of the ordinary or anything like that. That's why I was surprised that I am having issues with it.

6. Even though they weren't developed by Sim-Wings, I have German Airports 2, Madeira X, FSDT Zurich, Geneva, Las Vegas, Ft. Lauderdale, FlyTampa St. Marteen, Imaginesim TJSJ, Sim Giantes GRan Canaria, FranceVFR Guadeloupe/Martinique and a few others, and I haven't had these issues with any of them. That's why I believe something is amiss with this one.

Mathijs, if you need any more info on my set up let me know. I am really wanting to be able to enjoy this scenery.

Regards,

Sean

• Upvote 3

I don't use DX10 too. And i've this problem only with your airport (FranceVFR Clermond Ferrand, Lille and Riviera but also geneva from FS Dreamteam Don't has this problem)

But maybe a video can help to explain the problem. Is it possible to post a fsx video as attaching files here ?

Hi,

here is screenshot of LFMN. The shimmering appears, if the textures of the airport are far away. If you move closer towards those textures, the shimmering goes away. It is hard to make the shimmering effect visible in a screenshot, because it only really shows when you move your head in the sim. I hope the attached picture helps. You can see, that the terminal building isn´t sharp. The textures close the aircraft on the other hand are crisp. What is the problem here? Eventhough the framerates are very high, the visual quality of the scenery is low.

post-1319-125207930752_thumb.jpg

In addition to the textures of the buildings even the ground textures seem "distorted". I don´t know how to describe it. The taxilines and groundmarks shimmer like crazy, too.

Ingo

Hi,

here is screenshot of LFMN. The shimmering appears, if the textures of the airport are far away. If you move closer towards those textures, the shimmering goes away. It is hard to make the shimmering effect visible in a screenshot, because it only really shows when you move your head in the sim. I hope the attached picture helps. You can see, that the terminal building isn´t sharp. The textures close the aircraft on the other hand are crisp. What is the problem here? Eventhough the framerates are very high, the visual quality of the scenerie is low.

post-1319-125207930752_thumb.jpg

Ingo

That looks to me like a bad case of blurries or poor AF.. Even the landscape in the distance which is nothing to do with the scenery looks odd..

2009-9-3_16-18-14-484.jpg

I think Mathijs you have read the original post wrong though.. It states FX9 and does not say its a altered system or a over tweaked system, just a carefully installed one, so your answer is hardly any solution.. And what about 22R FGS.. Even when this scenery is wonderful and pretty the whole illusion is destroyed by the idiotic behaviour of any AI you use. I have already put a possible solution this morning up but no one has even responded all day!!

• Upvote 1

That looks to me like a bad case of blurries or poor AF.. Even the landscape in the distance which is nothing to do with the scenery looks odd..

That´s because I tried different display settings. In the case of my screenshot I lowered texture resolution to see what happens.

Ingo

Now here is a picture that really shows the problem well:

post-1319-12520821808_thumb.jpg

As you can tell, the texture of the line is totally messed up. In the sim it shimmers, when you change your view. This also happens with building textures.

The following picture is supposed to show my sim with correct settings (AF, AA and texture resolution):

post-1319-125208241469_thumb.jpg

Ingo

• Aerosoft

Thanks Mathijs. Just to clarify.

1. I'm not using DX10 preview, just DX9

2. Scenery had the display issues straight out of the install.

3. I made backups of all the scenery/textures before I mipped anything. Thats pretty much a standard thing I do everytime I install a new plane or scenery is to make back ups of the originals.

4. The only reason I tried mipping the textures was because the whole scenery was flickering like crazy when I first installed it. Going back to my original back ups only makes it worse again.

5. I wouldn't read anything into my set up as specially "tuned". It's rather that it is set up correctly, by a professional service that specializes in MS flight sims, but nothing out of the ordinary or anything like that. That's why I was surprised that I am having issues with it.

6. Even though they weren't developed by Sim-Wings, I have German Airports 2, Madeira X, FSDT Zurich, Geneva, Las Vegas, Ft. Lauderdale, FlyTampa St. Marteen, Imaginesim TJSJ, Sim Giantes GRan Canaria, FranceVFR Guadeloupe/Martinique and a few others, and I haven't had these issues with any of them. That's why I believe something is amiss with this one.

Mathijs, if you need any more info on my set up let me know. I am really wanting to be able to enjoy this scenery.

Regards,

Sean

I knew this was a touchy topic (one I can't win) but I got to fight the fight, lol.

Honestly, hand on heart, I think that is you would take a clean disk, install windows, FSX and the scenery you would see no problem. We got a support database of tens of thousands of cases and there is not a single product that we have out now that will not perform as we think it should under those conditions (barring stupid drivers that sometimes crop up). Now we can only guarantee that our products work under those conditions because if your DX is messed up (as happens) we can do great things but it will still be messed up right? 25% of texture issues are solved if people move the FSX.cfg file and let FSX rebuild a new one, another 25% is solved when people remove 3rd party texture packs that either overwrite default FS textures or simply got corrupted textures (don't get me started on that one...).

Now as said we got a few hundred sold copies of this and a hand full of people that got problems. If everybody would have had these problems the forums would look different don't you think? So in all honesty we got to look at something that makes your FSX non standard, different from all the others. Nice X contains some things that are 100% according to the FSX SDK (so any FSX should display them well) but have not been done a lot by other scenery. There are for example very high resolution ground images, as far as I know none of the products you list got the same kind of textures over such a large, non flat area.

Now also said, we simply can not recreate the issue on any of our machines (say 15) so it's seriously hard to know where to start looking at this moment. And again, I am almost 100% sure your machine will show the scenery well if you would use a clean windows, clean FSX. It's not the product that has a problem, it is your setup with the product. As we don't know what kind of settings you have (to be 100% honest I don't really believe in to the professional services to setup an FSX system, we tried it and found too many issues to use it any further, but hey I could be wrong) and could never test for every non standard setting a customer could have we'll default to a standard FSX. Like mine, like all the other that do not have the problem. Now those are all 'facts' and none too nice for you, as I basically say it is your system and not the product. As said I will speak to the developer and see what his idea on it is. However, and I got to be honest about that, if I tell him that is does not work on a non standard FSX, they always look at me very funny. And I don't blame them. But we'll try next week. I promise.

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

I don't use DX10 too. And i've this problem only with your airport (FranceVFR Clermond Ferrand, Lille and Riviera but also geneva from FS Dreamteam Don't has this problem)

But maybe a video can help to explain the problem. Is it possible to post a fsx video as attaching files here ?

I think I understand the issue. But none of the other scenery files you mention come close to the textures we use, so it is not unlikely that a problem would be seen on this one and not on another product.

We'll look at the problem next week with the developer okay. In the mean time try sliding all the sliders to the right and see if that solves the issue (ignore the fps at that moment). What you show has more than one problem, no AA etc, all very low end settings.

• Upvote 1

I think I understand the issue. But none of the other scenery files you mention come close to the textures we use, so it is not unlikely that a problem would be seen on this one and not on another product.

We'll look at the problem next week with the developer okay. In the mean time try sliding all the sliders to the right and see if that solves the issue (ignore the fps at that moment). What you show has more than one problem, no AA etc, all very low end settings.

Two posts in a row Mariujs and you have still not answered anything about the 22R AFD issue.. Whilst I fully respect this thread was not initially about that I cant help but notice the thread dedicated to it and the one I offered a solution on has yet to be responded to.. IHave I become the equivelent of the invisible man or is my money and custom suddenly not important?

• Upvote 1

No, it don't solve the problem. If you have an idea about the problem, and if you can find a solution, we can wait some days ;)

Mathijs,

Thanks for the quick reply, however I am quite surprised with your answer, and as you probably guessed not exactly what I wanted to hear.

There is no way I am going to reformat my hard drive just for one airport that is not displaying correctly. Especially since the set up is pretty new and maintained well. Beside like I said, out of all of the addons I have that do display properly, it's just this one that doesn't.

Also, I haven't done anything radical to my computer as far as texture packs. I am just running GEX USA, Ultimate Terrain Europe, and FEX for clouds, sky, and water. I have no other texture replacements or upgrades.

Drivers and DX9 are up to date.

To be honest I'm not sure why a lot of other people aren't getting this besides the few that posted here, unless everyone elses is always like this and they just used to it.

Just to make sure were clear, I still have the original textures of the install before I mipmaped them. Tested both, and the mipped ones are cleaner, just the file sizes get a bit bigger and lessen performance.

The FSDT product I have installed also have pretty high res ground textures and I haven't have problems with those.

I guess I will have to wait and see what you say, however I am discourged that the fellow who designed this is not going to do anything since I have a non standard FSX.

For the most part I would think that most of us that are into simming don't have standard plain Jane FSX that are non standard.

BTW, don't you guys use FS-GS for your screen shot capture? According to their website on the front page it says that you do.

Anyway, aside from a reformat and reinstall, what can we do? I don't want to feel like going forward it's going to be a crap shoot buying sceneries here. I was planing on getting Monaco X to go with this, however now I am uncertain about it. Although, I understand that you publish a lot of other developers besides what Aerosoft makes.

• Upvote 3

Sean

MonacoX is just fine as with all my other FSX scenerys, Aerosoft and many others. Thank you Mathijs for having words, however, as my FSX setup is working so well with everything else there is no way I am going to bin the lot and start again. I haven't even touched the config file by the way. I'll be waiting for some more news next week.

I'm off for a bit of GA flying in Australia :D

Regards, Jon

• Upvote 1

Sean, Your post is well written. I to am having same problem.

So mathkos there more than a few wiht same problem. Like you Sean, I want correction.

Have purchase much from this company and most are very good. P.

I feel better knowing i'm not the only one Pablo.

I also have a few by made by Aerosoft including German Aiports 2 and Madeira X, as well as a lot from other manufatures. I have no issues with any of them, none. That's why I am questioning and requesting help. I think if I had core problems with either my operating system, FSX, drivers, or anything else, it would be evident in other sceneries or payware aircraft.

Also, I wouldn't discount FS-GS who set up my system. They have been around for years and provide a reputable service. heck they have even been reviewed by Avsim and Flightsim.com for the quality of their service. To say that my system is out of the norm or hopped is rediculous. I have a very mild overclock, up to date DX9 and video card drivers, and FSX with all the service packs installed correctly. I think that probably fits the description of most hardcore FSX users.

I really, really, want to get this scenery working correctly.

• Upvote 2

Hi all,

Well I experience the shimmering as well, and like you I fly in DX9 and all my other scenery is fine...

I can list them but it's going to be long :P

This problem is annoying but I can still fly there for the moment. I do hope a solution will be found ;)

• Aerosoft

Two posts in a row Mariujs and you have still not answered anything about the 22R AFD issue.. Whilst I fully respect this thread was not initially about that I cant help but notice the thread dedicated to it and the one I offered a solution on has yet to be responded to.. IHave I become the equivelent of the invisible man or is my money and custom suddenly not important?

I'm sorry, I got zero knowledge about this issue and have asked the Project Manager to check into this. They do not work at the weekend so standby for that one.