Start of forum

We opened this forum as we are close the release of Discus Gliders X, the first high end glider add-on for FS. For starters let me copy some images made by Nick.

As, perhaps, the only customer that will be buying 2-licensed copies of this model; I'm really glad to see that it is finally coming out! I'm sure Max "FlyingFarmer" feels the same way; or, he will be when he gets it for FREE. ;)

Merci! :)

• Upvote 1

WOW!!! You guys have done a great job with this one. This would be a product worth buying if I was a FSX user. Luckly for my wallet, I am still an FS9 type of person.

Congrats on another great product.

Can't wait, although I'll have to finish an assignment before I can lose myself in flight. Really want to fly from my local glider site EGUS where the Portsmouth Naval Gliding Centre is based, http://www.pngc.co.uk/index.htm. I often watch them gliding serenely overhead and envy them trmendously. Who knows this may even give me the push to join them.

Dale

You should definitely try real gliding! That's all I can say

Did it a couple of times (many years ago) with the Royal Navy, nearly de-capitated a couple of stupid golfers standing at the end of the runway at RNAS Culdrose who didn't hear the glider coming in!

You mean you didn't have a foghorn attached? (nautical flying) Tut tut! :D

I did shout "duck" and my local MP rushed out and bought a house for them!

Nautical flying is sadly much depleted these days, although if the new Carriers ever get built, I can look forwards to F35s overhead.

The Ark Royal arrived home at luchtime and was greeted by a wonderful display from the Red Arrows, which I enjoyed without leaving my back garden.

Dale

Actually, only just realised this is released!!!

Sorry to go on about missions again, but am I right in thinking this release does not include any? I'd have thought gliders more than anything would benefit from them in at least they provide the Glider non experts like me with suitable locations for gliding as well as spectacular scenery locations for gliding in.

I'll probably still go for this, there is a local gliding club near here and I have the very detailed Scotflight 2.0 scenery of this area, but I'm not sure how thermals and suchlike would be modelled? I always thought MS threw this stuff into the gliding mission area's only?

Reading between the lines, I can see this is a quality product though and its going to be hard to resist.

I'm not sure how thermals and suchlike would be modelled

You can fly the existing FSX soaring missions and simply change the plane to any of the Discus's, plus I will release an updated version of my freeware "Austrian Soaring Day 4" mission to use the Aerosoft Discus, which has a large number of ridgelift objects and thermals in the mission around Zell am See in Switzerland (and of course in the meantime you can simply fly the existing mission and swap planes ).

But to be truly serious about soaring in FSX you should consider installing the freeware CumulusX! and it's partner, sim_probe (written by me). These will give you active thermals with a lifecycle, sensitive to the current cloudbase, and ridgelift wherever you've got a bit of a slope aligned to the wind. If you like gliding and haven't tried ridge soaring with FSX around the ridges of the NE USA, you are really missing out.

CumulusX! and sim_probe aren't essential, and the Aerosoft Discus (particularly the BM) has so much going on that you can enjoy it without worryng about thermalling, but the freeware addons take you from inside the glider to simply enjoying cruising around the landscape...

You can fly the existing FSX soaring missions and simply change the plane to any of the Discus's, plus I will release an updated version of my freeware "Austrian Soaring Day 4" mission to use the Aerosoft Discus, which has a large number of ridgelift objects and thermals in the mission around Zell am See in Switzerland (and of course in the meantime you can simply fly the existing mission and swap planes ).

But to be truly serious about soaring in FSX you should consider installing the freeware CumulusX! and it's partner, sim_probe (written by me). These will give you active thermals with a lifecycle, sensitive to the current cloudbase, and ridgelift wherever you've got a bit of a slope aligned to the wind. If you like gliding and haven't tried ridge soaring with FSX around the ridges of the NE USA, you are really missing out.

CumulusX! and sim_probe aren't essential, and the Aerosoft Discus (particularly the BM) has so much going on that you can enjoy it without worryng about thermalling, but the freeware addons take you from inside the glider to simply enjoying cruising around the landscape...

Thanks for the reply ... I'm giving this very serious consideration for an early purchase as soon as I can now :)

EDIT: Might be a good idea for users to share actual specific soaring locations in the FSX world somewhere on the Aerosoft site and any scenery enhancements we would need to fully enjoy and appreciate.?

Thanks for the reply ... I'm giving this very serious consideration for an early purchase as soon as I can now :)

EDIT: Might be a good idea for users to share actual specific soaring locations in the FSX world somewhere on the Aerosoft site and any scenery enhancements we would need to fully enjoy and appreciate.?

I use the default Sion scenery, which now that it is September is great looking (the trees all have Fall colors). Select Sion, Switzerland for great sailing, but it is also great for just about any aircraft. I also plan on acquiring the Payware Sion scenery from none other than Aerosoft soon, too.

Guy's, you may also need to look into the SOAR fora within!! Now the Discus has been released they may well help you on your way to obtaining missions etcetera?!

I knew nothing about soaring prior to this beta and eventual release and thanks to joachim and a few of the guy's I'm hooked on something so different within FS it's unreal...

There was a mission given to us to put the Discus through its paces with 4 waypoints!! I still have never got past point 2 :) If you think flying is easy I will ask if this one can be released for you all to try.