The follow-me car

Hi Oliver!

Yesterday after landing in Vienna with a boeing 747-400 from PMDG I thought there is something I'd love to see improved.

It is the follow-me car and exactly its speed and distance. The problem is that it happens to be barely seen from big airplanes.

Taxiing with my 744 I had to use one of the three methods not to lose the sight of it:

- use key kombinations to change the view angle (unrealistic and uncomfortable)

- switch off the main panel with the 'S' key (neither safe nor nice)

- braking to below 15 knots to let it overcome me a bit (works only for a few seconds)

So, the question is: could you think of a future option to add configuration for the follow-me car?

I mean to be able to set its speed and/or distance from the guided aircraft.

And let me finish as usually saying AES is an extraordinary addon, which should rather be classified as addicton.

Best regards,

Rafal

Sounds to me like you taxi too fast

Hey, Bruce!

It's not, or it shouldn't be, a problem.

From different planes' flightdecks you have different points of view forward. Your view angle will not be the same from a C172, a Dash-8 and a 747.

What I noticed is that for heavy airliners I find it difficult to see the follow-me car.

If it could move in a bit longer distance from me, the speed wouldn't really be a problem.

That's why I would appreciate such configuration option in AES.

Best regards,

Rafal

The way you described the problem, it sounded like you were too close to the car. Try stopping on the taxiway, and see where the car stops in relation to you, and if you can easily see it. Now start your taxi and see if the car maintains that distance. I have an A319 from Project Airbus that will run right over the follow me with almost zero throttle, and I can't use it.

Hey, Bruce!

Thanks for your interest in this problem. That's very kind of you.

you were too close to the car
Of course I was. If I slow down or stop to wait till the follow-me car pops up into my view, it will slow down and/or stop to wait till I move on and it disappears again.

So it's a vicious circle.

I don't know how Oilver calculates the distance between the follow-me and the user's car.

But I have an impression it is too short for big jets.

Though since no-one else complains, it must well be another of my exaggerated demands towards the MFS.

Never mind. I can live with it somehow. I just thought it might be useful to be able to decide about this distance.

EOT

Best regards,

Rafal