New user Bae-146

juanwise

So I finally decided to buy EW BAe-146, and to be quite honest I was surprised, I loved this plane, but the learning curve It has been long and hard (Use to PMDG, Level-d) so I need some help

1. Is there a detail tutorial that takes you through the different phases of flight, I have looked everywhere and nothing

2. Is there a fuel planner or one has to base fuel calculations on FMC (Progress page) at destination to be around 2 to 2.5 tons

3. I am sorry but I can't find the Power -Management button. I know that there is picture on page 11 of the manual but where is it on the aircraft? Can someone post a picture of it's location? I have looked everywhere and I just can find it.

Thank You for your cooperation

Juanwise

So I finally decided to buy EW BAe-146, and to be quite honest I was surprised, I loved this plane, but the learning curve It has been long and hard (Use to PMDG, Level-d) so I need some help

1. Is there a detail tutorial that takes you through the different phases of flight, I have looked everywhere and nothing

2. Is there a fuel planner or one has to base fuel calculations on FMC (Progress page) at destination to be around 2 to 2.5 tons

3. I am sorry but I can't find the Power -Management button. I know that there is picture on page 11 of the manual but where is it on the aircraft? Can someone post a picture of it's location? I have looked everywhere and I just can find it.

Thank You for your cooperation

Juanwise

Hi Juanwise,

Congratulations on your purchase - it's a nice plane to fly but it does take a little getting used to - I've been flying the BAe model for a few years now and have several hundred hours!

To attempt to answer your questions:

1. Not really (I don't think) - mostly I think you have to work it out by playing around. The FMC is the same as for the Eurowings Pro package A319 and there is a tutorial for that. The power management / thrust rating features of this aircraft are not really deeply modelled in this package (if you want that, go for the BAe Panel Project but then expect much lower quality bitmaps and no support for external hardware spoilers etc)

2. Again, I don't think there is... the FMC is a port of a B737 one so I don't know how well it's fuel calculation works. I wrote one a while ago for MS Office Excel based on data from flights in our VA. You input the actual route distances and then it uses a formula to calculate how much fuel you might use. I can send it to you if you like - just drop me an IM with your email...

3. There is no power management button on the BAe panel - in my manual (for the Eurowings Pro package) the picture is on a general page about the panels and is in fact from the ATR. The power management of the BAe is not modelled - you have to work out your settings (TO thrust from the FMC) and then control it by hand...

Hope these are helpful.

Geoff

Hi Juanwise,

Congratulations on your purchase - it's a nice plane to fly but it does take a little getting used to - I've been flying the BAe model for a few years now and have several hundred hours!

To attempt to answer your questions:

1. Not really (I don't think) - mostly I think you have to work it out by playing around. The FMC is the same as for the Eurowings Pro package A319 and there is a tutorial for that. The power management / thrust rating features of this aircraft are not really deeply modelled in this package (if you want that, go for the BAe Panel Project but then expect much lower quality bitmaps and no support for external hardware spoilers etc)

2. Again, I don't think there is... the FMC is a port of a B737 one so I don't know how well it's fuel calculation works. I wrote one a while ago for MS Office Excel based on data from flights in our VA. You input the actual route distances and then it uses a formula to calculate how much fuel you might use. I can send it to you if you like - just drop me an IM with your email...

3. There is no power management button on the BAe panel - in my manual (for the Eurowings Pro package) the picture is on a general page about the panels and is in fact from the ATR. The power management of the BAe is not modelled - you have to work out your settings (TO thrust from the FMC) and then control it by hand...

Hope these are helpful.

Geoff

Thank you for your fast response, so far I have done the 3 FMC tutorials and I loved this baby I will send you a IM so you can send me the e-mail, one more thing how do you work the spoiler, in the tutorial it says it to operated with the "# -key command" I don't get it usually I will use Shift / to arm or deployed in flight and / during landing. Is it possible to arm arm & deployed with the same key instead of having to open the control stand panel and selecting it with the mouse.

Thank you

Juan

Thank you for your fast response, so far I have done the 3 FMC tutorials and I loved this baby I will send you a IM so you can send me the e-mail, one more thing how do you work the spoiler, in the tutorial it says it to operated with the "# -key command" I don't get it usually I will use Shift / to arm or deployed in flight and / during landing. Is it possible to arm arm & deployed with the same key instead of having to open the control stand panel and selecting it with the mouse.

Thank you

Juan

About the spoiler: I don't know about key commands - I have the spoiler assigned to an axis on my throttle quadrant and have set the detent so that I can open the clam-shells in flight without deploying the wing air brakes...

About the fuel calculator: You have mail (let me know if you dont)

Cheers,

Geoff

Hi Juanwise ...

I got a real good hint for You: if You like to fly the BAe roughly realistic, don`t use the EW - Pro panel as it hast not much to do with the real thing. You better get the freeware Panel done by Matthias Lieberecht. This thing is phantastic and depicts the BAe system - logic phantastically ...

Hi Juanwise ...

I got a real good hint for You: if You like to fly the BAe roughly realistic, don`t use the EW - Pro panel as it hast not much to do with the real thing. You better get the freeware Panel done by Matthias Lieberecht. This thing is phantastic and depicts the BAe system - logic phantastically ...

I agree that is by far the best BAe / Avro panel in existance (and it is a real shame that he has stopped developing it). Unfortunately there is a problem with using hardware controllers with the panel which would be a major problem for me - although it might be possible to work around this. However, the real reason that I've not continued with it is my screen resolution (3840x1200) - to look good the graphics would need a major overhaul which would take a serious amount of work! Perhaps if there are some really wet/nasty weekends this winter...

Geoff

there is a problem with using hardware controllers with the panel

Could You specify this problem ? with my basic controls (Logitec Joystick) anything worked just fine ...

• Upvote 1

Thanks to everyone for their help, Geoff I will give the fuel calculator a try today and also assigning the spoilers to the joystick. The panel I will also have a look later on.

Once again thank you.

Juan.

Hello Juan,

You should be able to use the spoiler the same way using the "/" key.

Yes it works but is there any way that I could use Shift +/ to open the clam-shells in flight without deploying the wing air brakes, and just / to open the wing air brakes on landing. I can only get / to work not Shift + /

Thank You

Juan

The wing air brakes (which are groundspoilers) of the BAe 146 shall never open inflight, as this would bring the aircraft down within seconds. On the other hand You can`t deploy the ground spoilers without moving the aft airbrakes as they use the same lever ...

The wing air brakes (which are groundspoilers) of the BAe 146 shall never open inflight, as this would bring the aircraft down within seconds. On the other hand You can`t deploy the ground spoilers without moving the aft airbrakes as they use the same lever ...

Exactly: But it's almost impossible to achieve with this model / panel without a hardware "lever" with a detent (or marked sticker etc). The two 'types' of spoiler are just modelled together and linked to the FS spoiler axis - the point at which the clamshells are fully open and the wing spoilers begin deploy is just somewhere along that axis...

Hey geoffco, the fuel calculator worked like a dream, now I think I am ready to try some approaches into EGLC, even though I haven't been able to solve the spoiler issue. Does any one has few tips on how to do the approaches into EGLC with this baby (I have done it with DA's Fokker 70 & Feelthere ERJ-145)

Thank You

Juan

Does any one has few tips on how to do the approaches into EGLC with this baby

Yes ... but there is not much to say ... except, that You have of course to be fully configured before intercepting the glide, due to the real steep approach angle. Otherwise You may come in serious trouble not to loose enough speed.

But I doubt, that it makes much sense to simulate this, with those totally unrealistic BAe 146 models currently available ...

Could You specify this problem ? with my basic controls (Logitec Joystick) anything worked just fine ...

In fact (if I remember correctly) it was to do with using the hardware spoiler in the way we have been discussing here... There might have been an issue with the throttles as well but I think that was just that the gauge image doesn't move with them (but that wouldn't matter). I might look again at the weekend and try to remind myself...

Geoff

• 11 months later...

Sorry if I bump this dead thread, but that fuel calculator someone did say, where can I found it?

And some off topic, but does someone where I can get a plan of a RJ100 or BAe146 cockpit for free?

Cheers

Sorry if I bump this dead thread, but that fuel calculator someone did say, where can I found it?

And some off topic, but does someone where I can get a plan of a RJ100 or BAe146 cockpit for free?

Cheers

Hi,

The fuel calculator was one I made in MS Office Excel using data collected from my ARJ flights. Since then, I have passed the data to http://fuel.aerotexas.com/ -> simply navigate there, select the options (incl RJ85), and the fule plan will be calculated for you!

For a RJ100 or BAe146 cockpit plan, I'd look on Airliners.net. Use the Photo Search page and select to only see cockpit images...

Cheers,

Geoff

Hi,

The fuel calculator was one I made in MS Office Excel using data collected from my ARJ flights. Since then, I have passed the data to http://fuel.aerotexas.com/ -> simply navigate there, select the options (incl RJ85), and the fule plan will be calculated for you!

For a RJ100 or BAe146 cockpit plan, I'd look on Airliners.net. Use the Photo Search page and select to only see cockpit images...

Cheers,

Geoff

Thank you mate for your fast reply!