Discus Glider X Manual issues

• Aerosoft

Glider friends, hope the thermals have been good for you.

As you may know we are pretty close to releasing the Discus Gliders X addon but one of the problems I got is with the manual. Now the product is, as you know, fully made by actual glider pilots, but all of them are germans and we got problems with getting some of the terms translated to English. Is there anybody who is willing to assist with that? To explain my issues see the attached image.

I also got some problems explaining the 3 different variometers in the panel and I would like to know if there is somebody who is willing to make me a text to explain those things. I could start to copy from different sites but I could easily mess up.

Of course free copies for anybody willing to help!

post-43-125069893351_thumb.jpg

Well,

If you already have a manual for the Discus X addon in german i can give it a try. It may appear to be too complicated translating from German through Dutch into English, but it's worth a try.

Just send me a PM and I will give you my Email.

Bert

PS One thing I am sure of: "Kuh" is already well translated into English :-)

PSS: I found an English maual of the real world C4 coompetition: http://www.glidingmatamata.co.nz/about/fleet/gxp_discus_b/50.file

Glider friends, hope the thermals have been good for you.

As you may know we are pretty close to releasing the Discus Gliders X addon but one of the problems I got is with the manual. Now the product is, as you know, fully made by actual glider pilots, but all of them are germans and we got problems with getting some of the terms translated to English. Is there anybody who is willing to assist with that? To explain my issues see the attached image.

I also got some problems explaining the 3 different variometers in the panel and I would like to know if there is somebody who is willing to make me a text to explain those things. I could start to copy from different sites but I could easily mess up.

Of course free copies for anybody willing to help!

I am more than willing to give my two cents worth.

Sam

• Aerosoft

Sorry for a late reply...

On the manual for the Discus Glider X project. We made good progress, most issues are solved and I'll attach a manual as we got it now. I would appreciate it if you would be able to read it and correct me where my knowledge of gliders mislead me. Next to the attached manuals we will include the actual flight manuals of the Discus B, Discus BT and Discus BM (in German and English). We also will include the English and German manuals of the C4 Competition flight computer. In total something like 550 pages. Of course these manuals are added with full permission of the people who own the companies If anybody feels he got some documents that could help beginning gliders (heck I made my first glider flight today, very bumpy...), please let me know.

A bit more on this project and the Soar forums. We will make a special version, lower cost for the Soar users that are registered here to show we like your presence. Please note that this only applies to user that are registered before September 1st.

Glider.pdf

Hi,

the manual is already promissing a very good plane.

I found a small typo I guess on page 9 thought. When you look at the last paragraph it says

In this kind of variometer the instrument also shows the vertical speed that is induced by the pilot but pulling or pushing on the stick.

I think the but should be replaced by "vertical speed that is induced by the pilot by pulling or pushing on the stick."

One other thing I am wondering about is that the speedbrake lever in the B Version is not blue like in the two other versions and like in all the other gliders I flew until now. I've never been in a Discus B before so that might be correct. I just thought I let you know, just in case :-)

Greetings

Markus

I suggest you have a section covering FSX control assignments, I realise you can determine this through the FSX documentation, but for a lot of users unfamilair with Gliders it will be a good starting point especially for tow rope and release, plus it could also cover axis assignments for controllers like the Saitek X52 for things like the spoilers or other variable controls you might have.

Some discussion on helper apps like CumulusX and Simprobe for those not experienced with Gliding in FSX would also be beneficial to the product.

Some minor comments about the doc ........

It's probably not live yet, but the hyperlink in the PDF doesn't go to a real page.

Turn off spell checker when making the PDF to avoid the marks under Netto on page 14 and Cyl on page 15

• Aerosoft

Hi,

the manual is already promissing a very good plane.

I found a small typo I guess on page 9 thought. When you look at the last paragraph it says

I think the but should be replaced by "vertical speed that is induced by the pilot by pulling or pushing on the stick."

One other thing I am wondering about is that the speedbrake lever in the B Version is not blue like in the two other versions and like in all the other gliders I flew until now. I've never been in a Discus B before so that might be correct. I just thought I let you know, just in case :-)

Greetings

Markus

Thanks,

Joachim confirmed that the color of the speedbrakes is normally blue but when it gets damaged it's replaced with whatever is at hand. Check closely and you still see some blue!

• Aerosoft

I suggest you have a section covering FSX control assignments, I realise you can determine this through the FSX documentation, but for a lot of users unfamilair with Gliders it will be a good starting point especially for tow rope and release, plus it could also cover axis assignments for controllers like the Saitek X52 for things like the spoilers or other variable controls you might have.

Some discussion on helper apps like CumulusX and Simprobe for those not experienced with Gliding in FSX would also be beneficial to the product.

Some minor comments about the doc ........

Joachim will work on those assignments.

Thanks,

Joachim confirmed that the color of the speedbrakes is normally blue but when it gets damaged it's replaced with whatever is at hand. Check closely and you still see some blue!

Hi,

I did see the blue parts on the leaver. That is actually what made me think that something was forgotten. Thanks for the answer. I am new in the position as "technischer Leiter" in our club, but to be honest I would paint the leaver blue at least during the winter service, to be sure nobody can mix this leaver up. But we are talking about a virtual plane here and I am getting carried away.

Keep up the good work.  :goodjob_s:

And we are talking about pilots, (a sort of humans wich shouln't be to dumb)

I am sure nobody would mix it up only because it is black!

Normally you grab into the direction where you suppose or even know the lever is. If there was a flap lever, too, it would be different.

There are other reasons for mixing up levers in a plane. I have even seen a guy who extended the gear and retracted it, extand, retract, extand, retract... This with extended engine at full power and extended spoilers while making a low approach.

This low approach ended in a forest.

The plane was a Ventus CM. It has as usual the spoilers on the left side. The gearlever was on the right side.

What was wrong here?

Nobody knows, but the color wasn't the problem for sure.

But this only by the way.

In a Discus it is even more easy to find the spoilerlever, because it is the only one on the left side :-)

So don't worry about the colors.

SG and TT are absolutely accurate modeled internal and external

Even the rust on the wheelbrakelever is like in the real plane. So the black rubber on the spoilerlever, too.

Bests Joachim

P.S. Please NEVER paint a rubberpiece ;-) and thanks for the :goodjob_s: