No digital displays

usafmajor

I am sure this topic has been addressed but I received a cd with the F-16 model. I loaded it into FSX using the installer and although it looks amazing, none of the cockpit displays will show. (The HUD and other digital displays)

Also can not get the flaps and several other functions to work either. Manyof the switches only work in one direction.

If I need to load the displays seperately, how do I do that? No instructions were located.

Need help.

Thanks,

D

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello D,

Have you found the manual!

Also have you installed the V1.20 update if necessary.

If not then please do so.

Then try selecting a default Cessna and from the 2d cockpit load the Falcon and select the "Ready to Fly" option.

Is everything then lite up.

Also this topic has been brought up and answered before ;)

Of course I havent found the manual and I have even looked again. It was not included in the disk I received, although I have a license agreement and a patch info sheet.

V1.20 is also installed.

Can you attach the manual? Maybe even a link to the other times this question was asked.

D

Hello D,

Have you found the manual!

Also have you installed the V1.20 update if necessary.

If not then please do so.

Then try selecting a default Cessna and from the 2d cockpit load the Falcon and select the "Ready to Fly" option.

Is everything then lite up.

Also this topic has been brought up and answered before wink.gif

Have now downloaded the manual from the website but no mention in it about how to load the file. In the simobjects folder I have an airplanes folder and within that 3 folders for 3 different f-16's with panel 3 different viper zip files for panels. How and where do I install these?

I would have thought that the program installer would have installed the panel info as well.

Of course I havent found the manual and I have even looked again. It was not included in the disk I received, although I have a license agreement and a patch info sheet.

V1.20 is also installed.

Can you attach the manual? Maybe even a link to the other times this question was asked.

D

Hello D,

The manual should have been installed to the following folder.

*:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Aerosoft\Falcon X

You dont need to unzip anything in the Simobjects folder these are cab files for the gauges etc and are meant to be like this.

Could you paste a screenshot of your Airplanes folder showing the F-16s please, sure there should be more than 3 folders.

Here are some two attachments that show what I have.

Should the HUD be on automatically? I have hit every switch and only the huds background lite comes on (pale green)

Odd..says I cant attach a ws word file which has my print screens on it...

D

Hello D,

The manual should have been installed to the following folder.

You dont need to unzip anything in the Simobjects folder these are cab files for the gauges etc and are meant to be like this.

Could you paste a screenshot of your Airplanes folder showing the F-16s please, sure there should be more than 3 folders.

• 3 weeks later...

Shaun, I have exact problem==Not seeing this before, I posted the following this morning:

My question deals with the A/C itself as well as applying it in the F-16 Missions. Since downloading I tried to fly the HVCAP mission a few times, was able to handle most until trying to find home and set it down. I then found the manuals for both and did some reading to learn how to handle the displays, particularly the HUD. My question is "How do I get the HUD to display?"

My PC Op System is Vista, 32 bit home version, 2 GB, Intel Core 2 CPU. MY MSFltSim is FS X.

Going to the Free Flight, I pulled up the F-16. I was able to follow the instruction on entering Shift 2 to display the two options. Doing that, I hit the button on the console for HUD and the button on the left display window and I had HUD. I've done that a couple of times. However, reading more about the cockpit controls, as I've played with switches, I have lost the HUD several times and can't get it back.

With the Missions, I can't get HUD to activate at all regardless of what I do. The mission begins in flight (clicking on Shift 2 only gets a message that there is nothing on that panel.) A/C can fly the mission, intercept mission as Arrow 2 w/AWACS, chase the bogey, and head for home following Arrow 1. But all that is w/o HUD. When time comes to sit it down, I've lost Arrow 1. Using map, I was able to figure out directions and actually got the bird and the general area, getting it on the ground w/o crashing but not on a runway.

Can you talk me thru a simple checklist to get HUD, particularly when using the Mission Pack. Ultimately I'd like expand my capabilities with all the display options, in particular being able to program the GPS aspect to show Flight Plans and airport approach and runway displays. However, I'll take it one step at a time.

Only having the F-16 a couple of days, I've been able to turn on the ignition.start the engine, turn on the lights, close the cockpit and do a takeoff and landing. Basic navigation has had to be with flipping to the map and applying directional orientation from there. A few times I've turned on the HUD, but no consistency. I've been pleased with the software, the a/c, the scenery is grand. It's a great addition to my FS X.

Appreciate your assitance. I have two versions of F-16 that loaded. With A/C only from Free Flight option, I can bring both of those up. I initially had HUD, but as I've played with switches, I seem to have lost it. Can't get HUD in the original missions nor the mission pack. All missions start in flight and

and w/o HUD display.

bty61

Shaun, I have exact problem==Not seeing this before, I posted the following this morning:

My question deals with the A/C itself as well as applying it in the F-16 Missions. Since downloading I tried to fly the HVCAP mission a few times, was able to handle most until trying to find home and set it down. I then found the manuals for both and did some reading to learn how to handle the displays, particularly the HUD. My question is "How do I get the HUD to display?"

My PC Op System is Vista, 32 bit home version, 2 GB, Intel Core 2 CPU. MY MSFltSim is FS X.

Going to the Free Flight, I pulled up the F-16. I was able to follow the instruction on entering Shift 2 to display the two options. Doing that, I hit the button on the console for HUD and the button on the left display window and I had HUD. I've done that a couple of times. However, reading more about the cockpit controls, as I've played with switches, I have lost the HUD several times and can't get it back.

With the Missions, I can't get HUD to activate at all regardless of what I do. The mission begins in flight (clicking on Shift 2 only gets a message that there is nothing on that panel.) A/C can fly the mission, intercept mission as Arrow 2 w/AWACS, chase the bogey, and head for home following Arrow 1. But all that is w/o HUD. When time comes to sit it down, I've lost Arrow 1. Using map, I was able to figure out directions and actually got the bird and the general area, getting it on the ground w/o crashing but not on a runway.

Can you talk me thru a simple checklist to get HUD, particularly when using the Mission Pack. Ultimately I'd like expand my capabilities with all the display options, in particular being able to program the GPS aspect to show Flight Plans and airport approach and runway displays. However, I'll take it one step at a time.

Only having the F-16 a couple of days, I've been able to turn on the ignition.start the engine, turn on the lights, close the cockpit and do a takeoff and landing. Basic navigation has had to be with flipping to the map and applying directional orientation from there. A few times I've turned on the HUD, but no consistency. I've been pleased with the software, the a/c, the scenery is grand. It's a great addition to my FS X.

Appreciate your assitance. I have two versions of F-16 that loaded. With A/C only from Free Flight option, I can bring both of those up. I initially had HUD, but as I've played with switches, I seem to have lost it. Can't get HUD in the original missions nor the mission pack. All missions start in flight and

and w/o HUD display.

bty61

Shaun, here is a summary/synopsis of my problems:

Ready to fly model, the HUD comes on when selected. The Cold Start model did, but can't get it to repeat since I started trying to work switches.

Air Force 1 exercise has no commo instructions for the mission. The intercept mission does.

For the Mission Pack exercises and the two w/F16, HUD does not come on. Switches can't activate. You cannot get the two modes when you hit shift2. Messae says nothing for that panel.

All else seems a go.

bty61

Hello Bty61,

Go to the view options along the top menu bar and select instruments you should be able to get the panel to come up there.

Can you also confirm you installed the V1.20 update, you probably did.

Thanks, Shaun. I've tried the view option. Selected instrument panel and get nothing. It has no expandable menu. I believe that is true on all the missions. However, I go to Free Flight and the instrument panel choice has two options, the second being Engine State which produces the Shift 2 two mode choices. And the HUD was up. Not so on the missions w/F16 or in the Mission Pack.

Here's summary of my problems:

For F-16, from free flight, I have two models on my a/c selection. I can on both models use the Shift 2 and get the two modes for each model. For sure on the "ready to fly" I have the HUD up. Sometimes it is up on the cold start, but I'm pretty sure I'm the issue there, but I've had some trouble getting it to come up there. I thought I may have had all right switches on but not sure. I clearly can't get other data to display on either mode.

I have no HUD on the Intercept mission, but I have all else working there. On AF 1 mission, nothing is working--no HUD and no mission instructions, etc. Can't get Shift 2 to work. I also purchased Mission Pack. They work as with Intercept does for instructions, communications, mission pointer, etc. But no HUD nor other data for display. I haven't tried them all, but sampled two or three. Incidentally, it appears AF1 is a didn't load properly issue. However, I opened up the program and all of it is there. The picure of AF1 is there. Don't know why it isn't being triggered.

In sum, problem w/AF mission and all missions for HUD display. Since the Shift 2 works in Free Flight, but not on missions, I've assumed that is linked to the problem.

As for which version I have, I have no idea. Can you tell me how/where to look? I tried to go look for that but found nothing. I downloaded this in purchase from PC Aviator a few days ago.

Really like the scenery, the cockpit, and the way it flies. Missions are fun. Hope to get through this problem and become more familiar in displaying data, such as GPS for flight plan and approaches, etc. I think I gave you my PC data and told you I have the manuals and have read through there. I know I have the right switches on as it works in the free flight choice.

I appreciate the help.

Hello Bty61,

Go to the following folder and open the product.cfg in Notepad.

If it says, "Version=0111" then you haven't installed the update.

As you can see from the attached pictures you can bring up the display with Shift+2

and its also available in the Views/Instrument Panel.

post-3-125128846478_thumb.jpg

Hello Bty61,

Go to the following folder and open the product.cfg in Notepad.

If it says, "Version=0111" then you haven't installed the update.

As you can see from the attached pictures you can bring up the display with Shift+2

and its also available in the Views/Instrument Panel.

I don't think I tracked the exact source as you provided in your reply. I didn't find it via Notepad; however, I did identify via a Read me in the Program Files that I have the version 1.1. I believe I saw that the 1.2 version was available through the FAC section of this site. I'll try to download it and install tonight. I'll let you know of success or not.

In your reply you provided the screen shot of the two modes--cold start and ready to fly. As I've indicated, when I go to the Free Flight on FSX and use either Shift 2 or go to Instrument Panel, I can get the two modes to appear.

However, when trying to fly one of the two adventures that came with F-16 or those with the Mission Pack, Shift 2 nor Instrument Panel will cause those two modes to appear. Will installing 1.2 solve that problem?

An additional problem is that the Air Force One mission has no communications for the mission--no instructions. I'm just flying in the beautiful skyi.

I attempted the download of 1.20, but it wasn't successful. It downloaded, and extracted out of the zip into three folders. Couldn't get them to install. I'll try again tomorrow. Checked F-16. No change in problems encountered/still there.

First and foremost FSX SP2 / Acceleration pack must be installed - otherwise no HUD or MFD.

When You press Shift+2, the two images for selecting "Cold & Dark" and "Ready to fly", as shown in Shauns post, should appear.If not then You have a corrupt installation.

Uninstall the F-16 via the Controlpanel add/remove programs, then re-install the F-16, after that unpdate to 1.20

If everything seems to work, but the only issue is the missing MFD's and HUD, then FSX SP2 / Acceleration pack isn´t installed correctly or has become corrupt.

To fix a corrupt SP2, do as described in this link:

http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=27187&view=findpost&p=170113

Fixing acceleration pack is done in the same manner, just note that acceleration pack must be uninstalled instead of SP2, and the last x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect..... entry probably will have a diffent number, and install acceleration pack instead of SP2 as the last thing.

Finn

First and foremost FSX SP2 / Acceleration pack must be installed - otherwise no HUD or MFD.

When You press Shift+2, the two images for selecting "Cold & Dark" and "Ready to fly", as shown in Shauns post, should appear.If not then You have a corrupt installation.

Uninstall the F-16 via the Controlpanel add/remove programs, then re-install the F-16, after that unpdate to 1.20

If everything seems to work, but the only issue is the missing MFD's and HUD, then FSX SP2 / Acceleration pack isn´t installed correctly or has become corrupt.

http://www.forum.aer...ndpost&p=170113

Fixing acceleration pack is done in the same manner, just note that acceleration pack must be uninstalled instead of SP2, and the last x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect..... entry probably will have a diffent number, and install acceleration pack instead of SP2 as the last thing.

Finn

Finn

Finn

Thanks for the reply, Finn. Your response, however, is overgeneralizes the specific problem I've encountered and, consequently, I don't see a resolving answer in your reply. Let me restate the essence of my problem.

1. In regard to HUD and the two modes (ready to fly and cold start), when I select either aircraft from the Free Flight option of FSX, I can enter SHIFT2 and the two modes will appear. I can select the ready to fly option, and the HUD is lit when it comes up. On the cold start mode, I can start the engince and flip all the switches and the HUD will light up. In addition, I can click on views and select Instrument Panel and I have the two options, MAIN and Engine Status. I can click on the latter and I have the two modes appear. There is no problem with using the SHIFT2 nor selecing from Instrument Panel from the Free Flight Option of FSX. That is the good news. There is no problem here.

2. My problem is with the two missions that come with F-16 and the Mission Pack. I purchased both at the same time. When you begin any of the missions, you cannot get the SHIFT2 entry to work. You get a message that there is no panel with that. You can click on Views/Instrument Panel and there is no options for Instrument Panel. Thus, you cannot cause the two modes to appear through either of the suggested methods. This is true of all missions. It is not unique to me as I've seen several others describe the similar problem. And the HUD is not lit. Working any and all switches does no good. The HUD still doesn't light up. With one exception, the mission instrucitons, pointer, etc. all work fine. So my question: What can I do to allow either the SHIFT 2 or the Instrument Panel to work as it does with the FREE FLIGHT FSX Option? This is the basic problem. Will installing V1.20 resolve this?

3. I attempted to install V1.20 last night. I could download it. I could extract the three folders. I could see them in the spread of FSX folders. In fact, I saw the them in two separate locations. However, I could not get them to install. I've read the suggestion just overwrite them but I'm not sure how to do that. Do I copy each folder and paste it Where? Should I have two sets of the download of V1.20 showing in the files? Evidently, I am experiencing an issue with my lack of technical knowledge. I'm going to retry to dowload it again tonight.

4. Finally, there is one mission that isn't working--the escort of AF1. There are no instructions; no AF1 flying, no messages, no briefing of the mission, etc. You are just flying over the ocean with no idea what your mission is. Although I'd like to fix this, it is secondary to the issue raised in #2 above. I tried to reload F-16 last night, but it had no effect. Opening the program, I can see all the "stuff" for it there, but it doesn't get picked up. I assume this is an upload issue of some sort. I can live with it if we can solve #2. This is just one missing mission. Or I can create a free flight and go anywhere, particularly if I could get my HUD to work in the missions.

I hope this additional information will help clarify the issue. As you can see, in one case I have everything working just as it shoud, but it doesn't do that with the MISSIONS, any of them. No mode choice. No HUD.

Thanks

bty61

Hello bty61,

Can you confirm that when you go to the Select aircraft menu you only see 2 F-16s and thats with the Show all Variations ticked.

As for the V1.20 update you just copy the 3 folders into the root folder of FSX and allow to overwrite.

Also what version of FSX are you using, FSX+SP2 or FSX+Acceleration as the AF1 Missions works fine on mine!

Hello bty61,

Can you confirm that when you go to the Select aircraft menu you only see 2 F-16s and thats with the Show all Variations ticked.

As for the V1.20 update you just copy the 3 folders into the root folder of FSX and allow to overwrite.

Also what version of FSX are you using, FSX+SP2 or FSX+Acceleration as the AF1 Missions works fine on mine!

Thanks for your reply, Shaun.

You refer to the Select A/C menu. Yes, on the initial FSX screen, you can choose FREE FLIGHT or MISSIONS, etc. Choosing the FREE FLIGHT option produces a screen to select A/C, then current weather, then current location, and current time and season. Clicking on the Select A/C gives you a screen shot of all A/C in the system, to include those I've added on. In the selection are pictures of two Lockheed Martin F-16s. One is F-16AM and the other is F-16C.

I can select one, such as the AM model. After clicking OK. It takes you back to the initial screen to selecti weather, location, etc. The AC Selection will now show F-16AM and there is a picture of it in the window on the bottom half of the screen.

Click on FLY NOW and it will take you to the location and the A/C will be on the runway, etc. Click on SHIFT2 and you will get the two pics of the cold start and the ready to fly. Click on the ready to fly and you have HUD lit. Or you can go to views and select Instrument Panel and you get a choice of MAIN or Engine something. Click on the latter and you have the two pics for cold start or RTF.

BUT, go to the missions and select any choice involving the F16, the original two or those added with the MISSION PACK, and (1) you can't get SHIFT2 to work. Under views and Instrument Panel, there is no choice. So it does work. Thus, you have no HUD and you can't use switches to produce it because you can't get to the programmed options that are designed to provide that.

Regarding v1.2. I downloaded again last night. I did copy and move to the counterpart and I assume it overwrites. However, I can't find any way to verify. By everything that happened, I think I got it installed, but I can't confirm that. As an example, the ReadMe still only says v1.1. ?????

Thanks

Bty61