Twin Otter: Wind/Turbulances

KLM57

Hallo fellow simmers,

The Twin Otter I bought a couple of weeks ago is a really nice plane and I have already spent many hours flying it. Unfortunately there is one serious problem I experienced: the Otter reacts to turbulances and wind like a "rodeo-bull" and can hardly be controlled. It is virtually impossible to fly it under real weather conditions and I cannot believe, that the real aircraft behaves in the same way.

What are your experiences fellow Otter-pilots? Am I the only one having this problem and is there a solution to it? Yes, I can turn off the turbulance-effects in FSX, but do I have to use this unrealistic mode with a payware-aircraft?

Thanks for any help, mikfun

Hi Mikfun! Funny you should mention this but I arrived overhead Manston recently and the wind aloft was 25+ knots (Shift Z) and the Otter 300 modern was, as you say completely uncontrollable. The landing was really bad. This was a real pain after a long flight.

I'd be interested also to see any comments on this from afficiandos. Many thanks blush.gif

Hi Mikfun

Could it be you are suffering from ms inability to fix the violent wind shift that carried over from fs9?,

I had the same issue as you flying around the scotish islands, I got help hear and ended up registering fsuicp to try and fix this it helped a lot,

Richard

Guest Hodge001

Hi

I have to admit that I do use a registered copy of FSUIPC for wind smoothing in FSX, but that

being said the Twin Otter, beautiful aircraft that it is, it is as Shaun pointed out a lightly

loaded aircraft, and aerodynamically is a slab sided box that will suffer from slight stability

problems in rough air (from my RC aircraft days), especially in a cross wind, but saying that

I quite like flying in rough air and I dont really find it to hard to hold onto, although it

does at times catch me out on take off, and as for the approach you do usually get a feel for the

turbulence during the descent, and believe me I am no expert FSX pilot and I have the flight

critiques from FSFlight Keeper to prove it.

Jim Hodkinson

Many thanks for your comments!

I fully understand and share your remarks, they are obvious and they have been obvious to me before. I just cannot believe, that a real world Twotter is in a way sensible to wind, as it is in my FSX. A sickpack would be far to small for the passengers (and pilots) laugh.gif . It cannot be, that an aircraft, that is designed for bush-flying and "rough" regions of the world is shaking around like cracy even in lower wind-speeds.

Maybe the problem is, as some stated, FSX itself. As far as I understood, most of you have done some wind-smoothing, so that the Twotter can be flown much better, than mine. But I still keep wondering, if the problem is not (partly) the programming of the aircraft itself. I really would like to see a patch, that reduces the turbulence problem, without taking away its close to reality flight dynamics - or is it possible to improve it by some changes in the aircraft.cfg? I stick to my opinion, that the Twotter is far too sensible and thereby beyond reality.

Best regards, mikfun

In terms of the real world Twin Otter, in the 1970's and 80's I was a frequent passenger on Twin Otters (Pilgrim Airways) often in severe weather flying around New England and out to Nantucket in winter when it was too rough for the ferry boats. I remember one particular gusty flight where the plane would simply not drop the last few feet to the runway even though it appeared to be motionless above the ground. From the cockpit one of the pilots yelled out: "Get down you !@#$!%&*$#!" After a second or two, the plane settled down on the runway and came to a stop with almost no roll. It was very close to what you would have experienced in a helicopter. The trade off for this is that Twin Otters get buffeted around a lot in the wind.

By comparrison, most of my flights to these same destinations today are in Cessna 402's usually Cape Air. The flights are definitely much more stable and smooth and they seem to be much less sensitive to gusts and the 402's are actually smaller aircraft than the Twin Otters. They fly into the ground and take a lot of runway.

SW

Many, many thanks bumprock,

what a story excellenttext_s.gif ! I guess, you have proven me wrong and I have to learn how to fly a "rodeo-bull", without asking for help - and I´ll try my very best, that nobody will hear the virtual pilot permanently screaming: "You damned little ... !@#$!%&*$#!" laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif ! I have got a new challenge, that´s great tongue.gif !

Cheers and many thanks to all the contributors, mikfun