FSHost -> "SOAR! - FS2004/FSX Gliders"

sf4JC

10/14/11 : Had my main computer crash last week. So after rebuilding an older computer, the servers are back online for the moment (Not sure how long the older computer is going to run since it has its own problems). - - sf4JC

10/17/11 : Servers will be down for a while again. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause for those that have been using it. Needed to just make sure it wasn't the hard drive that was faulty, and now I know. It may be a while before they are back online, so please be patient.

10/22/11 : Finally was able to get the servers running I think. I believe the plan is to get a new computer running some time next week, so hopefully that will help. Servers will be down for a short period of time I imagine for that to take place again. I will keep you updated.

Update 11/03/11 : Got the new PC, and it is running well. Servers will be on and off for a few more days until things get back to normal.

Use FSHostSpy to see if the servers are online or not, and check to see if there are any changes to the servers. If you have questions or problems, post them here and I'll try to answer them to the best of my knowledge. I will keep the top post in this thread updated so you don't have to go through the whole thread to find changes. Servers will run for the most part between the hours of 7:00am-7:00pm Mon-Thu, and then from 7:00am Fri to 7:00pm Sun (GMT -7:00). Scott (sf4JC)

server 1 -------------------------------------

FSHost: sf4jc.hopto.org port 23456 inside FS2004/FSX-FSHostClient

server: SOAR! - FS2004/FSX Gliders (1)

session: "SOAR! FreeFlight"

TeamSpeak3: sf4jc.hopto.org:9987

server: 3n1 Racing (SOAR!)

server 2 -------------------------------------

FSHost: sf4jc.hopto.org port 23458 inside FS2004/FSX-FSHostClient

server: SOAR! - FS2004/FSX Gliders (2)

session: "SOAR! - __???__ FunFly/Contest"

TeamSpeak3: sf4jc.hopto.org:9988

server: 3n1 Racing (SOAR! - 2)

server 3 -----------Discontinued---------------

server 4 -------------------------------------

FSHost: sf4jc.hopto.org port 23460 inside FS2004/FSX-FSHostClient

server: SOAR! - FS2004/FSX Gliders (4)

session:"SOAR! - __???__ FunFly/Contest"

TeamSpeak3: sf4jc.hopto.org:9989

server: 3n1 Racing (SOAR! - 4)

----------------------------------------------

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: 09/06/09

The servers have been down for a while due to a terrible connection problem I've been experiencing. I've been contacting the intenet company, but so far, their solutions have not been solutions at all.

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

Updated in main post.

My connection problem is hopefully going to get taken care of in the next week or so. So I'm not turning the servers on until then, because I believe it to be irresponsible of me at this time to keep them running when there is a chance it's going to disconnect users from time to time. Thanks to those that have used them in the last few weeks, it seems it has really picked up.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Robin, I'm still trying to work out how I am going to pay for the extra cost that we're looking into with having a cable connection. I hope it won't be too much longer though.

Tell ya what, I'll go ahead and make the servers available, it's against my better judgement, but at least it will be up as long as the connection holds (which isn't very steady at the moment). Just hang in there though, I believe there is more than a 50/50 chance that we are going to get the cable connection, it's just going to take some finagling.

Scott

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi !

I have been setting up FSHost and stuff today and I think I managed to join the server but not quite sure as there was no one in it I couldn't check.

I'm new to FSX and soaring but I installed the SOAR Ranch, CumulusX, WinchX and the Discus X from AS. I'm looking for some online play with others to soar around and have some relaxing flights and of course learn a lot.

I'm from Switzerland currently GMT +2, I'll try to catch someone these days.

By the way it's quite cool to have a permanent server up and running, now it's up to people to use it =)

Good day everyone !

Hello MNX, I will try to look at the server log tonight for you, to confirm whether or not you succeeded in joining the server. The server actually doesn't get used a whole lot yet. I did however find 4 jetliners flying in close proximity of each other last week. Needless to say, I would guess 75-80% of the traffic I get right now is powered aircraft and helicopter's. I've been trying hard to get some more funfly/contest weekends going, since my days are just a little bit more free to do so. Been relearning CumulusX! a little though, because where once I could find slope lift, now I don't get any but dreaded sink (I've had to land out a lot of times since the last update. CumulusX! is really getting realistic for us glider pilots, and probably for powered pilots as well.

I had in mind to have a funfly/contest for Dillingham, HI this coming weekend, but it's not coming along so well. And as far as the SOAR Ranch area, I think I really need to do a lot of flying the area a bit more to find out just what ridges (& what wind speed and angle) work the best for newer pilots.

Today, I need to figure out why the TeamSpeak3 servers are not recognizing me as being the administrator any more. If you are interested, maybe I could make an announcement at SOAR for just a funfly this weekend or next for the SOAR Ranch area.

Scott

Oh nice quick response.

First of all I'm gonna be away for the week-end, I'll be back sunday night local time.

For the server I manage to connect FSHost, find a session on the server and connect to it, but then I don't know how to join the server within FSX.. When I connect FSHost nothing happes in FSX, no mission loading, nothing.

So admitting there is someone on the server, do i just need to start a free flight at the same airport as him and I'll see his plane or do I need to connect through the FSX Multiplayer interface ?

Other than that Teamspeak is operational, still have my doubts about my Cumulus X.. sometimes I'm flying parallel to a slope and I got absolute wind direction perpendicular to the slope but I don't get any lift or just disturbed up and down wind but nothing that can give me some extra feet. Watching the Debug Panel I got confirmation about wind direction and effective slope but the lift is not at all steady and goes from + to - all the time. Gonna post this in CumulusX Support forum.

Keep this server alive though, we just need more ppl from soaring communities to use it ! It's great to have a 24/7 server running, it's just sad no one joins.. maybe introduce some timetable for people to meet there or post on some soaring communities forum if there are some, I didn't find any other than this but there must be people soaring in FSX..

(P.S: if someone is around I'm joining your TS and server right now (see post time of this message +5'), I'll fly from the SOAR Ranch and hope for some nice winds :))

Sorry MNX, I only run the servers from about 7:00am-7:00pm (Central Mountain Time (-7hours)) on week days, so you only missed it by about 1 hour. Also, I didn't run my TeamSpeak3 server today since I was trying to sort that out (still not figured out yet though). I did however find a problem with the FSHost servers in trying to find your entry onto the server. I never found your entry in the pilots logs, and not in the regular log either. Seems as though Windows 7 64bit may be the culprit, but that's only a guess. Hopefully soon I will have this all figured out. I should thank you for replying about the servers, because without this instance, I would have never known about the problems with the FSHost servers.

Now, as far as using FSHost and FSX, you need to download FSHostClient in order to see others on a FSHost server. And what you do is fly FSX in Free Flight Mode. Then, start up FSHostClient and hook up to the server through it. No need to go through the FSX Multiplayer menu. Something about FSHost servers you should know is, that you need to make sure you enter the correct port number (example= 23456 or 23457 or 23458 and so on, but those are the most common). If you don't, no one will be able to access the server until you leave, or you get booted by the server admins. Also, but it's never happened to me yet, you may get booted from a server with no apparent reason, this happens I guess every once in a long while, it's a flaw in FSHost they say.

Well, I have a little over an hour or two until bedtime, and I'd like to find out some answers to questions of my own. THANKS Again for replying.

Scott

Whelp, it's been a looooong day!:} But it looks as though I may have gotten everything fixed, except I'm not so sure about pilot logs being recorded in FSHost reliably. TeamSpeak3 was the real bear though, but when I was able to finally get answers to the more and more questions that arose, I was able to reinstall those servers okay (had to start from the ground up though).

Anyway, I think they're going now.

Scott

• 1 month later...

Sorry Phil, but I didn't get a PM yesterday from you or anyone. Did you mean email? I cleaned out my spam folder, but nothing caught my eye. Can you post or PM me again? From the timing of your post, I am speculating it was about maybe the servers not being up. It's a weekday so the servers don't start until around 7:00am my time usually (Mountain time which is a -7:00 zulu, and then +/- 1 hour for daylight savings time). It's 8:21am as I sign off this post.

Scott

• 2 months later...

Servers are back up and running again! Thought I had some troubles with them yesterday, but found the problem with my computer connection instead.

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Scott!

Can you tell me a bit about how your server is being used these days? I mean, how many people are using it, and when they use it. What is the bandwidth?

Are there any regular scheduled/organized contests being run? Looking over the forum here, the most recent event I can find was the SOARRanch Fun/Fly on April 23-25, 2010. Was there something since then?

Do you prepare tasks for the server, or can anyone prepare one to run? I just joined the 23456 one, and it seems people who join can set whatever they want for weather, season, time, etc., which means they can run tasks of their own design.

...The server actually doesn't get used a whole lot yet. I did however find 4 jetliners flying in close proximity of each other last week. Needless to say, I would guess 75-80% more like 85-90% of the traffic I get right now is powered aircraft and helicopter's. I've been trying hard to get some more funfly/contest weekends going, since my days are just a little bit more free to do so. Been relearning CumulusX! a little though, because where once I could find slope lift, now I don't get any but dreaded sink (I've had to land out a lot of times since the last update. CumulusX! is really getting realistic for us glider pilots, and probably for powered pilots as well.

I had in mind to have a funfly/contest for Dillingham, HI this coming weekend, but it's not coming along so well. And as far as the SOAR Ranch area, I think I really need to do a lot of flying the area a bit more to find out just what ridges (& what wind speed and angle) work the best for newer pilots.

Today, I need to figure out why the TeamSpeak3 servers are not recognizing me as being the administrator any more. If you are interested, maybe I could make an announcement at SOAR for just a funfly this weekend or next for the SOAR Ranch area.

Scott

The server is basically a community server, with not a whole lot of traffic for a while now. I don't measure bandwidth usage since I have never had more than about 7 on at a time. FunFly/Contests have been my downfall. I never get the info out on time (publicizing). I've tried to keep with real world contest and the best day they soared for the week to gather all the info. I just found something out last night that I may be able to accomidate for the FS2004 users that will definitely brighten their soaring pleasure.

I've got two other servers set up as FunFly/Competition templates. I may turn them on so you can take a look at it. I do have the participants download the files they need, like tasks, bgl files, etc. When running a FunFly/Contest, I set the weather with FSHost so everybody gets the same weather.

Scott

...I don't measure bandwidth usage since I have never had more than about 7 on at a time.

Oh, I meant your ISP available bandwidth, i.e. upload/download bandwidth, "speed" not usage.

had in mind to have a funfly/contest for Dillingham, HI this coming weekend, but it's not coming along so well. And as far as the SOAR Ranch area, I think I really need to do a lot of flying the area a bit more to find out just what ridges (& what wind speed and angle) work the best for newer pilots...

...I've got two other servers set up as FunFly/Competition templates. I may turn them on so you can take a look at it. I do have the participants download the files they need, like tasks, bgl files, etc. When running a FunFly/Contest, I set the weather with FSHost so everybody gets the same weather.

What's your availability Tuesday evenings, from 8:30pm EST and after? (6:30pm your time, I think). I'd like to get some kind of hosting going in the next month or so, but still trying to understand all the details. I understand that you are catering to FS2004 as well as FSX, so that seems to add some additional requirements. At the moment, my plan is to host with FSX in mind.

In any case, it would be good to get together on teamspeak, and fly something that you have, just so you can walk me through the steps you have to take to get all the participants on the same page. Can be anything, old, new, borrowed, blue, as long as it can be done with FSX and no add-on terrain. I have CX! I'd like to discuss some of the ideas you have in mind as well. I think only my brother may be around this Tuesday, the 1st Feb.

Oh, I meant your ISP available bandwidth, i.e. upload/download bandwidth, "speed" not usage.

It's Cable Broadband, not sure of the speeds, but the other night I downloading from a site at between 3000-4900 KB/S. That's the fastest I've ever seen it.

What's your availability Tuesday evenings, from 8:30pm EST and after? (6:30pm your time, I think). I'd like to get some kind of hosting going in the next month or so, but still trying to understand all the details. I understand that you are catering to FS2004 as well as FSX, so that seems to add some additional requirements. At the moment, my plan is to host with FSX in mind.

My Tuesday nights are out right now. I have them reserved for racing NR2003/rFactor with my Uncle. I think we've been doing that for over 4 yrs now and it is something that I'd like to keep in place for as long as he or I can do it. My memory isn't quite as steady as it once was, But I can sure help you get aqainted with your own server, and it's functionalities. And if not, I can devote a little time possibly during the day when I can to search for the answers (currently disabled to some degree, but that is a whole nother story in itself).

In any case, it would be good to get together on teamspeak, and fly something that you have, just so you can walk me through the steps you have to take to get all the participants on the same page. Can be anything, old, new, borrowed, blue, as long as it can be done with FSX and no add-on terrain. I have CX! I'd like to discuss some of the ideas you have in mind as well. I think only my brother may be around this Tuesday, the 1st Feb.

I can see if I still have one of the first FunFly/Contests available, I think it was called "AlbertLeaMN FunFly May-31-2008". It's pretty flat land and the thermals could be joined in both FS2004 and FSX in real time. We need to come up with a better time to have conversations though I guess.

Right now I'm still working on the ''Qualifying GP'10 Switzerland'' and trying to organize it all together in both a FS2004 download and also a FSX download, though I'm wanting to be able to get it into a reasonably combined package. Just having trouble with wording, and also any inconvieniances that can be helped out through a step by step instruction. I may post it tomarrow in an unfinished mode, but cannot decide.

Scott

• 4 weeks later...

02/24/11 - Troubles with Server #3 caused me to discontinue it and create Server #4, not much else I could do. I had almost been completely unaware that #3 wasn't working properly. SORRY for any inconvenience it may have been causing.

Scott