Running FS9 and FSX on same machine? Just to run some Aerosoft products...

mozart

Aerosoft has started the nasty habit to release some really attractive sceneries only for FSX. That African thing, Tahiti X, now Maldives coming up...

I do own a copy of FSX, wihch so far I have refused to install because I felt that the choice of planes and scenery was still so much larger for FS9. I don't care for some different landscape details, my addons (mesh, UT and all the others) give me sufficient satisfaction.

Now I was wondering whether it would be an idea to install FSX solely for flights within those regions (I love island hopping) and to continue using FS9 for all my other flying all over the world. Which brings up some questions, which I hope someone can answer.

I run my FS on a laptop, Intel Core2 Duo T9400 (2.53 GHz, 1066 MHz, 6MB L2 cache), 1791 MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, 4 GB DDR2

• Will my FS9 be impacted by having FSX sitting on the same machine? My FS9 is stuffed to the limit with add-ons: VERY heavy AI, Ultimate Terrain, mesh, Active Sky weather, complex planes (PMDG, Level D, Wilco/Feelthere, etc), add-on airports (Imagine Sim, FlyTampa, Aerosoft, etc). My system is running smooth so far, just afraid of hitting FS9 by having FSX sit on the same machine. I don't know why it would, but just asking to make sure there's no nasty surprise
  • Will my computer specs be sufficient to run FSX for Tahiti X and Male X? I guess I won't run much else in terms of add-on, other than of course the actual planes (something like the Beaver X or the FS1 ATR) and Active Sky.
  • Will my AI planes work in FSX? I am a freak for realistic AI. Now, in Tahiti and the Maldives only the main airports see some amount of substantial AI traffic, the rest being primarily local commuter planes. But can I just copy my current AI planes that I need for those main airports?
  • Are the any "MUST HAVE" add-ons for FSX that I should consider adding to that FSX installation should I decide to do it?

Thanks for any opinions and hints.

• Aerosoft

let me answer the first two.

1) FSX and FS2004 don't share anything on your system, two compete different installations, not connected in any way.

2) Yeah should work fine, I would not any problems in these regions as long as you use logical settings and keep in mind that even at moderate settings FSX will show more then FS2004 at max settings.

And let me advise you something on the 4th. Personally I feel that thr Catalina is the perfect aircraft for these regions.

I have been running both FSX and FS9 on the same machine under Vista Ultimate for some time with no problem.

As Mathis says, they are in totally separate directories/files.

The one issue I cannot resolve is that Beech on the Beach freezes FS2004 when the Beech 18 is selected.

Beech on the Beach works fine under FS2004 and XP. But for some reason it freezes FS2004 under Vista and I have to use task manager to cancel FS2004.

Thanks for those infos - great relief to know both can work on the same machine.

Just one more question: how large is the FSX install approximately? Just to get a vague idea.

Thanks

Chris