Interview with Mathijs on fsBreak

Chrjs

hi,

i'm just listening to the newest weekly episode of fsbreak. there is a long interview with Mathijs and they talk about the sim market in general, the (maybe) new flight simulator and many other topics! so i can really recommend listening to it: http://fsbreak.com/

i hope Mathijs is reading this post!

dear mathijs,

thank you so much for this long interview! i got some great information out of it and i'm getting really excited about the new sim.

after listening to the interview i have two little questions for you:

1. You talked about new graphic cards slowing down FSX. I think i just made this mistake. I upgraded my computer recently especially for FSX and have now a Quad Q9400@2.66Ghz with XP, 4gb ram and a Geforce GTX280 with 1024mb. Result: FPS at heathrow with the PMDG747 and Ultimate traffic below 10fps! So should I "downgrade" to a lower graphic card? you talked about a "perfect" card your developers use. What is it?

2. I would also vote for a well simulated Gulfstream (please on a level with the PMDG, Airsimmer, Leveld-D products!). I think we still miss a GA-jet with a fully simulated FMC, AP,... so please consider developing it! it would be so much fun to fly to small, difficult airports (e.g. samedan, aspen,...) with a samll business jet!

thanx for your time and keep up the awesome work!

chrjs

• Upvote 2

• Aerosoft

hi,

i'm just listening to the newest weekly episode of fsbreak. there is a long interview with Mathijs and they talk about the sim market in general, the (maybe) new flight simulator and many other topics! so i can really recommend listening to it: http://fsbreak.com/

i hope Mathijs is reading this post!

dear mathijs,

thank you so much for this long interview! i got some great information out of it and i'm getting really excited about the new sim.

after listening to the interview i have two little questions for you:

1. You talked about new graphic cards slowing down FSX. I think i just made this mistake. I upgraded my computer recently especially for FSX and have now a Quad Q9400@2.66Ghz with XP, 4gb ram and a Geforce GTX280 with 1024mb. Result: FPS at heathrow with the PMDG747 and Ultimate traffic below 10fps! So should I "downgrade" to a lower graphic card? you talked about a "perfect" card your developers use. What is it?

2. I would also vote for a well simulated Gulfstream (please on a level with the PMDG, Airsimmer, Leveld-D products!). I think we still miss a GA-jet with a fully simulated FMC, AP,... so please consider developing it! it would be so much fun to fly to small, difficult airports (e.g. samedan, aspen,...) with a samll business jet!

thanx for your time and keep up the awesome work!

chrjs

Sure I read this Chris... Thanks for the kind words.

The whole GPU issue is a weird one, and there are people who say it is not true. Yet I can show it on my machine very easy and I done the same on 5 other machines of customers and exactly the same was seen. I really believe that FSX has a timing issue if the amount of data that needs to be send to the GPU pipeline exceeds a certain size. And unlike many people think, the more complex the card the more information it needs. Not at home now but will post some pictures this evening.

• Upvote 1

Hi Mathijs,

Well worth the listen. I'll admit to only listening to your interview and not the rest of the podcast but it made for very interesting listening. Thanks for the heads up.

I was pleased with the discussion and I thank Mathijs for sharing his interests and feelings about the flight sim community. I do hope there is interest within Aerosoft to develop more corporate or private aircraft addons. There was mention of Gulfstream. I have heard in several forums that Gulfstream has expressed a strong stance against supporting or endorsing the development of payware aircraft with their title and refuse to share performance knowledge. So perhaps there has been some conflict for the various developers. However, I have not seen a payware Learjet 23, 24, 25 or 35, Falcon 10, 20, 50. Please note these are all old aircraft but are still widely flown. Perhaps we might see small single engine turboprops such as the Piper Malibu Mirage or Socata TBM 700.

The discussion about airport design for Flight Sim was great too. I have a better understanding of the administrative issues for getting onsite photography and data for airports. Now when I fly in FSX and come across gross inaccuracies in and around airports I can answer my old question, "Have they ever seen that airport???" with "the developer probably saw as much as possible". I'm concerned about how this might present difficulties for developing a new flight simulator.

Thank you again.

Keith

• Aerosoft

I was pleased with the discussion and I thank Mathijs for sharing his interests and feelings about the flight sim community. I do hope there is interest within Aerosoft to develop more corporate or private aircraft addons. There was mention of Gulfstream. I have heard in several forums that Gulfstream has expressed a strong stance against supporting or endorsing the development of payware aircraft with their title and refuse to share performance knowledge. So perhaps there has been some conflict for the various developers. However, I have not seen a payware Learjet 23, 24, 25 or 35, Falcon 10, 20, 50. Please note these are all old aircraft but are still widely flown. Perhaps we might see small single engine turboprops such as the Piper Malibu Mirage or Socata TBM 700.

The discussion about airport design for Flight Sim was great too. I have a better understanding of the administrative issues for getting onsite photography and data for airports. Now when I fly in FSX and come across gross inaccuracies in and around airports I can answer my old question, "Have they ever seen that airport???" with "the developer probably saw as much as possible". I'm concerned about how this might present difficulties for developing a new flight simulator.

Thank you again.

Keith

Keep in mind that this is mostly a US problem, though not easy we are almost always able to find access to airports in other locations.

• Aerosoft

Sure I read this Chris... Thanks for the kind words.

The whole GPU issue is a weird one, and there are people who say it is not true. Yet I can show it on my machine very easy and I done the same on 5 other machines of customers and exactly the same was seen. I really believe that FSX has a timing issue if the amount of data that needs to be send to the GPU pipeline exceeds a certain size. And unlike many people think, the more complex the card the more information it needs. Not at home now but will post some pictures this evening.

Chris, the images are here: http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=27567&view=findpost&p=171766

• Upvote 1

I was finally able to listen to the interview. I found very interesting your comments about receiving an email from Microsoft when Aces Studio was closed stating definitely "there would not be another version of flight sim," and that Microsoft "will not do any stand-alone games, large boxed games." That pretty certainly ends any speculation that there might be a change of mind at Microsoft. I don't know what Paul Lange (P12C) has been retained at Microsoft to work on, but I agree with your conclusion that, if it is an on line sim, it is unlikely to be something your customers, including me, would find appealing.

At this point, quite frankly, Microsoft has acted in such an unreliable fashion toward its customers (and partners) that I would prefer they make a totally clean break from the entire field of flight simulation. Bill Gates was visibly joyful using it to introduce each new operating system as an example of what the new technologies could do. When he left Microsoft, sponsorship for Flight Simulator withered away, it seemed.

It is good to see flight simulation development being led now by people with a genuine passion for it.

• Upvote 2

• Aerosoft

I was finally able to listen to the interview. I found very interesting your comments about receiving an email from Microsoft when Aces Studio was closed stating definitely "there would not be another version of flight sim," and that Microsoft "will not do any stand-alone games, large boxed games." That pretty certainly ends any speculation that there might be a change of mind at Microsoft. I don't know what Paul Lange (P12C) has been retained at Microsoft to work on, but I agree with your conclusion that, if it is an on line sim, it is unlikely to be something your customers, including me, would find appealing.

At this point, quite frankly, Microsoft has acted in such an unreliable fashion toward its customers (and partners) that I would prefer they make a totally clean break from the entire field of flight simulation. Bill Gates was visibly joyful using it to introduce each new operating system as an example of what the new technologies could do. When he left Microsoft, sponsorship for Flight Simulator withered away, it seemed.

It is good to see flight simulation development being led now by people with a genuine passion for it.

Thanks for your comments. I share your ideas 101%, we need a reliable partner for a new sim. A partner that started a new Train Simulator, then dropped it 4 months later, restarted it 3 months later and stopped it 6 months later is just not that partner. I am not saying we are the partner at this moment as we have not decided yet, but we simply can not have our own company based on when a new MS manager gets in an office (and that was the reason for their changes).

And that's just our 'hobby market'. We had projects covering hundreds of thousands of dollars based on the professional version of FS, ESP. Just imagine how those people feel about MS right now. They were lured into this platform with a lot of PR and promises only to be dropped like dead weight. I had to break the news to some of these people. There were not amused. In fact we lost most of those accounts. They simply fired the people who promised these things. Nobody took over. Just closed the department, did not pick up the phones.

Even of MS promises me a superb sim (and nothing would surprise me at this moment), I would just send them the many emails with promises and ask them to honor those first. We simply can not trust MS on this at this moment and that is painful to say the least. Aerosoft will manage, in fact despite the current economic climate and the ACES issue we are growing, but it is hurting friends very badly. None of them will ever thrust MS again.

• Upvote 1

I've read some people saying in other forums that there is no space for an non microsoft flight simulator, that is stupid.

When I started simming, flight simulator was already a sucess. However I started with a different flight sim: FLY!:

I used to think of flight simulator as a lower version of FLY!. Don't ask me why, maybe it was because FLY! default panels and systems were superior to microsoft FS default planes, or maybe I was some sort of a fan boy. But one thing is for certain, I've been faithful to FLY! for many years, however, as terminal reality stoped FLY development and my version of FLY!2 was becoming outdated when compared to FS2002/2004 I decided to make the move.

Now, Microsoft flight simulator X it's possible the last version we will ever see. Believe it or not people will make the move to a new way of flight simulation. I know I will. Lets face it, this is our hobby, we put a lot of time into this, and, if we see a new good thing, as people start moving towards it, we will also make the move searching for new features, new visuals, new addons and, above all, searching for continuity. Some people might say "well, FSX is all I need for a long time", but the feeling that nothing new will ever come with that name will make them feel outdated and ready to move. I believe that this new flight sim (if produced) will be ready in an excelent timming (2/3 years from now), by then FSX has some years on top of it already, DX11 cards will be out in the market, and most people will be ready to make the move especially if FSX addons could be ported to the new sim.

Sorry for any grammar error, english is not my native language and I have no time to carefully re-read what I wrote.

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

I've read some people saying in other forums that there is no space for an non microsoft flight simulator, that is stupid.

When I started simming, flight simulator was already a sucess. However I started with a different flight sim: FLY!:

I used to think of flight simulator as a lower version of FLY!. Don't ask me why, maybe it was because FLY! default panels and systems were superior to microsoft FS default planes, or maybe I was some sort of a fan boy. But one thing is for certain, I've been faithful to FLY! for many years, however, as terminal reality stoped FLY development and my version of FLY!2 was becoming outdated when compared to FS2002/2004 I decided to make the move.

Now, Microsoft flight simulator X it's possible the last version we will ever see. Believe it or not people will make the move to a new way of flight simulation. I know I will. Lets face it, this is our hobby, we put a lot of time into this, and, if we see a new good thing, as people start moving towards it, we will also make the move searching for new features, new visuals, new addons and, above all, searching for continuity. Some people might say "well, FSX is all I need for a long time", but the feeling that nothing new will ever come with that name will make them feel outdated and ready to move. I believe that this new flight sim (if produced) will be ready in an excelent timming (2/3 years from now), by then FSX has some years on top of it already, DX11 cards will be out in the market, and most people will be ready to make the move especially if FSX addons could be ported to the new sim.

Sorry for any grammar error, english is not my native language and I have no time to carefully re-read what I wrote.

I think there is no place for another major Flight sim right now. But in two years time FSX will be totally outdated. And it takes two years to make one. There is a logic in there!

• Upvote 1

It was certainly interesting to hear this sort of insight from another developer. It would be great if more developers would put an hour in to answer questions like this. It seems much more personal than answering questions on a forum.

Mathijs, I have some questions I'd like to ask you. The public forum probably isn't the best place for it (I don't think). Would you suggest I PM you? Or is there an email I can contact you at? Throw me a PM with the information if you'd like.

Thanks a lot!

I just heard ur interview Mathijs!

Excelent really hearing ur voice as all we know from u from here is ur text and image! :P...Now we can associate a voice...hehe...

Great insigh Mathijs!

Cheers

• Aerosoft

It was certainly interesting to hear this sort of insight from another developer. It would be great if more developers would put an hour in to answer questions like this. It seems much more personal than answering questions on a forum.

Mathijs, I have some questions I'd like to ask you. The public forum probably isn't the best place for it (I don't think). Would you suggest I PM you? Or is there an email I can contact you at? Throw me a PM with the information if you'd like.

Thanks a lot!

If the questions are about the new possible sim I actually prefer them on the forums. At this moment we are keeping this discussion 100% in the public domain. There are no meetings internally on these aspects.

Keep in mind that this is mostly a US problem, though not easy we are almost always able to find access to airports in other locations.

Mathijs,

Thank you for the reply. I often times look at the available major German Airports and major hub airports from other countries and I am nearly speechless and I ask myself where is the equal quality for American airports? Where can I find a quality Dallas-Fort Worth KDFW, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington National and so forth for FSX? I am not a scenery designer and therefore do not complain, but I am able to spend a little money on high qualitity scenery enhancements. I just can't find much of what I had in FS9 and I'm sure in due time FSX addons will catch up. I just need to wait patiently.

Keith