Sorry, FSX only at this moment. If you would see the same image as the one I show below in FS2004 you would see why it has a lot less potential.

I disagree, you can get the exact same image in FS9. The only difference would be the water effect.

Well, the Maldives consist 98% of water, so water effects are rather important in this case. I agree that it would not be impossible to get nice results in FS9, but lots of things wouldn't just look as good as fsx, starting with autogen density and ending at the incredibly high polycount of those resorts, that almost break the limit of fsx compilers without harming the framerate. That's only possible in fsx. ;)

Would be nice to have south male atoll, rasdoo and ari atoll as well. would make a nice aera to fly from/to.

South male looks like a must to me, or things will look funy flying south from MALE int airport.

Great idea though!

The biggest problem with this addon is in fact the size. It's impossible to do the complete Maldives, even if we split it in 2 or 3 parts. The Ari atoll would be twice as much work as North Male atoll, and that is taking lots of time already. If we did the complete mid section of the Maldives with Ari, Rasdhu, Felidhou, North and South Male we would have to take at least 45 Euro for it - and it would be finished 2010.

I agree that landing on the 36 without the South Male atoll wouldn't be very nice. I cannot promise anything at the moment though. Just this: the addon will be mind-boggling in any case. ;)

1. it's a working title, 2. I never find the right key for diacritics (we don't have it in Germany). :blush:

But of course you're right and even though we forgot the diacritic we pronounce it "Maa-leh".

btw A_MaleX_Preview_20.jpg looks so much like the real thing.. its spooky. Cannot wait. With the icelandic project those are the best 2 ideas aerosoft got lately.

" I agree that landing on the 36 without the South Male atoll wouldn't be very nice. I cannot promise anything at the moment though. Just this: the addon will be mind-boggling in any case "

Just checked on google map, south male should'nt be a killer and is a must if u really think where is the airport situated / runway 36. Looking forward to get my mind boggled ;)

• Upvote 1

I run a virtual airline out of the Male (VRMM) that services the entire Maldivian island chain. I was wondering if anyone at Aerosoft has ever considered adding some basic airport scenery for the other four airports in the Maldives - VRMH, VRMK, VRMT, and VRMG? It seems to me that this would greatly enhance the Male X package. All of the above mentioned airports are very small and would only require a few buildings to give them a more authentic feel. Pictures of the Terminal buildings and adjacent hangers at all these airports are all readily available on the Net. Looking forward to a response on this one.

Deryl, of course my target is to get the whole Maldives done soon. But as I said before, it's quite some work. Doing the airports only doesn't make sense for us, so you'll have to be a bit patient.

As always: the better the first package sells, the sooner the second will be done. ;)

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

I disagree, you can get the exact same image in FS9. The only difference would be the water effect.

Sorry but that is just not true. You would NOT be able to see that many details in FS2004 for the simple reason it would be very hard to compile that polygons into a FS2004 scenery and because you need about more CPU cycles then the single core CPU's supported by FS2004 could deliver.

I will give you an example. I assume you know out Manhattan scenery for FSX. Now we placed the one we had in the middle of the Atlantic so AI traffic, Mesh, Autogen etc would not play any part. We done that for FS2004 and FSX. The FS2004 version was stripped of all bumps, most specular of course, in fact 45% of the content was removed to make it work, all stuff that FSX adds and FS2004 does not have. Now on my 800 euro system (cheapest Core I7), the FSX version had an average of 34,5 fps over the 12 viewpoints we selected.The FS2004 version got 4 fps when we could test (the fps were often below 1 so it was hard to get an average). It was just totally overloaded. Most of the time bitmaps were being shown in the lowest LOD level. FS2004 was just not able to show that level of detail, that many objects. Nothing bad about FS2004, it was made in 2003 and for a 6 year old product it is still extremely usable. But just as it would only be able to show the first 1/4 of the Catalina or F-16 (because FS2004 simply has a blocvk of 64.000 polygons for a single object) it has limits in scenery.

Believe me, we MAKE the scenery, this can just NOT be compiled to FS2004 and be sold. Customers would just not accept that.

FSX can handle up to 65.000 vertex points per texture/material. For the 3D resorts and hotels you can see on the screenshots I exceeded those limits all the time until I finally found a good solution without increasing the draw calls more than necessary. With FS9 this kind of objects density and details wouldn't have been possible without bringing FS9 to its knees.

Mathijs is quite right, there's no way that we can do an FS9 version of this.

Mr. Thorsten Reichert,

I must say ...

...Its good to see your face on the avatar for a change.

...Whatever you decide to call it (Male X or Maldives X - part I), I really like your work and am adding this project to my next order; if not this one because of its current status being only 45% completed to date.

...Those pictures by Mr. Kok (or Nick C. or whoever) are really awesome too in FSX; Can't wait to use this along with REX v2.0. B)

Later! ;)

Hey,

today I have seen the Preview of Malé and I'm very excited about it.

But one thing is quite strange... in the fsx an your addon the malé interrnational airport has the VASI (Visual Approach Slope Indicator) system to indicate the pilot the right glideslope.

This is wrong as you can see on the following pictures. Both runways of Malé hast the PAPI (Precision Approach Path Indicator) which looks quite diffferent.

It would be cool if this mistake wouldn't be part of such a great add-onn, Also the realism would become again a bit higher.

46080845.mlecmbjul05078.JPG

Runway 18

Maldives_Approach_Finals_-_Rwy_36_Short_Finals_1.jpg

Runway 36

Take a look at the last few secounds landing in malé (you'll see there is truely a PAPI not a VASI) taken from pilotseye.tv preview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDbHg66JPzc&NR=1

greetings from germany,

Michael

Michael, thanks for your feedback. I've seen the DVD (which is very good indeed!) only just last week and since then lots of things have changed in the beta. So don't worry, the approach will feel exactly like the one in the DVD. ;)

Good news!

Other question and i know it should be in another thread... Will there be directx 10 patchs for early aerosoft products like mega airport frankfurt?

Male X will support directx 10, or?

Waiting for new screenshots ;)

Hello MichaelP,

It would be up to other developers if they tried to make there scenery work in the DX 10 Preview mode, but folks must understand that they are not obliged to as DX9 is the primary mode for FSX.

Yes, it will support DX10 very well :) .

I, for one, am glad to read this ... B) Its about time Aerosoft's products came with "NO Limitations." ;)

And, if you can get fuel at the Fuel Pumps (or via Fuel Trucks and/or support for AES v2.xx) and the Runway/Taxiway surfaces support the FSX "Rain Effect" you've made my day. B)

Cool, I was looking for a scenery of the Maldives for FSX sinds a while ! Thanks for this project ! :)

P.S. Do you have an idea of the size of this addon ?

• 2 weeks later...

how will this addon coexist with the REX tropical shallow water? I like REX shallow water also.

is that possible that just change the underwater terrain data and leave the REX detail shallow water textures there? as an option?

another hope,

during the night time, if there are shadows on those windows of some hut hotel room on water, such as making out lovers , drinking and dancing friends and family party.. don't need too many, just a few...that will be fun to fly a water craft land there and search and feel the vacation circumstance.

maybe silly and unpractical, maybe we can only get this in the next generation of FS, but this is my hope for more fun

and BTW, eager to see new beautiful screen shots

The addon will be compatible with REX. But for some weird reason Microsoft decided that the whole Maldives should be shallow tropical water, so by default everything is cyan. That is in fact not at all the case. Cyan is only around the atolls, some hundred feet mostly. So those areas will be hadnmade "aerial" images that are not affected by REX. The surrounding water will be darker (see screenshots) and use default water textures that can be changed with REX, but of course a more realistic water color (dark blue, again see screenshots).

There will be 3D tourists, but we need to see how they impact on the framerate.

The addon will be compatible with REX. But for some weird reason Microsoft decided that the whole Maldives should be shallow tropical water, so by default everything is cyan. That is in fact not at all the case. Cyan is only around the atolls, some hundred feet mostly. So those areas will be hadnmade "aerial" images that are not affected by REX. The surrounding water will be darker (see screenshots) and use default water textures that can be changed with REX, but of course a more realistic water color (dark blue, again see screenshots).

There will be 3D tourists, but we need to see how they impact on the framerate.

thank you so much

now,I have very clear images in my mind

less turists will give us better framerate and more space to land our heli :)