Aerosoft A-321/320 project

• Aerosoft

The plane's visuals are looking great! This project seems to be coming together very well. I am kind of confused on what you mean by the aircraft not using the stick and throttle to fly the aircraft. . . Does that mean we won't be able to use our throttles and joysticks at home to fly the aircraft? Sorry for my confusion.

-Matt

Yes you will. But like in the real airbus moving the stick will not move the flight controls. The systems will try to interpret what you wanted to do and then control the flight surfaces to get the result. Ideally it means you are not able to fly the aircraft into the ground or to stall it. You can pull back as hard as you want, but when minimum speed is reached the systems will simply ignore your input.

• Upvote 1

...if there is no Problem with the Computer..In case of a big Problem the Airbus PC gives more decisions force to the pilot!

What about the throttle? TO/GA , Flex,, IDL,REV or who ever they called, do they work already?

Just putting the mouse cursor on it and roll the mouse wheel is a LOT easier then dragging the mouse cursor away from the knob don't you think? It's a A321 and not aerobatic model after all. And of course you can select a new viewpoint, most of this will stabilized.

With respect, no it's not when the viewpoint is bumping around or shifting during to G-forces in a turn.

With click and drag, I can just click anywhere on the knob (to "latch" onto it) and then I can TAKE MY EYES OFF THE KNOB and look at the readout as I drag the mouse to move the knob. So even if the VC viewpoint is moving and my mouse is no longer over the knob it doesn't matter because I an "latched" onto it. With the traditional mouse wheel technique I need to keep my eye on the knob and re-adjust the mouse position to over the knob.

Think of how it is in the real world. I hold the knob with my fingers to "latch" onto it and I no longer need keep my eyes on the knob as I rotate it. My fingers are not going to fall off the knob just because my head is moving around.

Btw, you could support both techniques, click and drag and mouse wheel. This is what the RealAir aircraft do.

Please could Aersoft try the RealAir SF260 (or any of their aircraft) and see what I mean.

It's a shame Microsoft didn't put this "latching" capability into FSX from the start.

Anyway... really looking forward to the Airbus!

Edit: This is helpful for large aircraft too, it happens all the time in the PMDG MD11X or Coolsky Super80 or LDS 767. As the VC viewpoint moves during a turn its very easy for the mouse to "slip" off the knob. Also, in the RealAir aircaft with dual concentric knobs dragging with the left button moves the outer knob and dragging with the right mouse button moves the inner knob. Very easy and intuitive!

With respect, no it's not when the viewpoint is bumping around or shifting during to G-forces in a turn.

With click and drag, I can just click anywhere on the knob (to "latch" onto it) and then I can TAKE MY EYES OFF THE KNOB and look at the readout as I drag the mouse to move the knob. So even if the VC viewpoint is moving and my mouse is no longer over the knob it doesn't matter because I an "latched" onto it. With the traditional mouse wheel technique I need to keep my eye on the knob and re-adjust the mouse position to over the knob.

Think of how it is in the real world. I hold the knob with my fingers to "latch" onto it and I no longer need keep my eyes on the knob as I rotate it. My fingers are not going to fall off the knob just because my head is moving around.

Btw, you could support both techniques, click and drag and mouse wheel. This is what the RealAir aircraft do.

Please could Aersoft try the RealAir SF260 (or any of their aircraft) and see what I mean.

It's a shame Microsoft didn't put this "latching" capability into FSX from the start.

Anyway... really looking forward to the Airbus!

Edit: This is helpful for large aircraft too, it happens all the time in the PMDG MD11X or Coolsky Super80 or LDS 767. As the VC viewpoint moves during a turn its very easy for the mouse to "slip" off the knob. Also, in the RealAir aircaft with dual concentric knobs dragging with the left button moves the outer knob and dragging with the right mouse button moves the inner knob. Very easy and intuitive!

I agree also that Realairs viewing and switching is first rate, I would like to see more of Realairs viewing 'click zones' as cycling through the views to reach the panel you want can be a pain. Its more intuitive to click on the panel you want to use and then that panel instantly is switched to the 'zoomed' 3D panel also the zoomed panel has no head movement which makes life easier yet again.

Yes you will. But like in the real airbus moving the stick will not move the flight controls. The systems will try to interpret what you wanted to do and then control the flight surfaces to get the result. Ideally it means you are not able to fly the aircraft into the ground or to stall it. You can pull back as hard as you want, but when minimum speed is reached the systems will simply ignore your input.

Ahh, now I understand. Thanks for clearing that up.

Hello Mathijs,

just an idea (i don´t know if this already exists in an addon-aircraft...):

what about having a tiller-function with the mouse-wheel. And not with the cursor

on the tiller handle like in the LevelD767 (because then you don´t see where you are going) but with

the cursor anywhere on the windshield. So even if you pan your view to the left or right

to steer to your parking position, you can have the cursor anywhere on the windshield

to have the tiller function available.

Timo

• Aerosoft

Hello Mathijs,

just an idea (i don´t know if this already exists in an addon-aircraft...):

what about having a tiller-function with the mouse-wheel. And not with the cursor

on the tiller handle like in the LevelD767 (because then you don´t see where you are going) but with

the cursor anywhere on the windshield. So even if you pan your view to the left or right

to steer to your parking position, you can have the cursor anywhere on the windshield

to have the tiller function available.

Timo

As we intercepting the stick input anyway I think we could do something like that very easy.

• Aerosoft

Gotta admit this looks pretty decent. The vc doesnt look as good as Airsimmer or even AirlinerXP but it has potential. I think you guys should try doing a complete Airbus A320 EIS1 simulation since Airsimmer is doing the complete Airbus A320 EIS2 simulation. AirlinerXP is the only company to really attempt a complete A320 EIS1 simulation but they disappeared in thin air. If you guys dont make this into a full simulation it wouldnt really make sence, it would be better for people to buy the Wilco or the Airsimmer.

Maybe Aerosoft could even buy the AirlinerXP project and complete it. Who knows... That would be nice though.

I think you missed the idea behind this project. For starters this is a project that we not only got to do for FSX but also for Airline Simulator 3 and a professional project. And for FSX it is first of all intended to be part of a larger project that will include scenery and missions as well. Secondly where Airsimmer seems to focus on the limited very high end market, we are making this project in such a way that it is usable for a much larger group of users. Just a different market. I think you are not our intended user group for this product.

This airbus is rather realistic, believe me. And even if we would decide not to release it for FSX (won't happen of course) we would still complete it for the other project we need it for.

• Aerosoft

Gotta admit this looks pretty decent. The vc doesnt look as good as Airsimmer or even AirlinerXP but it has potential. I think you guys should try doing a complete Airbus A320 EIS1 simulation since Airsimmer is doing the complete Airbus A320 EIS2 simulation. AirlinerXP is the only company to really attempt a complete A320 EIS1 simulation but they disappeared in thin air. If you guys dont make this into a full simulation it wouldnt really make sence, it would be better for people to buy the Wilco or the Airsimmer.

Maybe Aerosoft could even buy the AirlinerXP project and complete it. Who knows... That would be nice though.

Mmm thinking about this a bit more... "The vc doesnt look as good as Airsimmer or even AirlinerXP but it has potential" I did not realize we were behind the competition so I asked Stefan (the main modeler) to send me some images that compare Airsimmers BETA (!) to our ALPHA (there are major sections that are not yet completes or even started on, Arm rests etc). Now I got them, I really got to ask, AJM101, where you think our VC is inferior?

>>> removed<<< . That does not surprise me as we base our work on FSX and Airsimmers are locked to the 64k polygons that FS2004 has as a limit. We have no idea where the limit is and only use the FPS on my sub 800 Euro PC as the limiting factor. In fact Airsimmers are doing a great job in those limitations. But do send me some images you think we can't match, if you mean seriously that the VC doesn't looks as good. Airsimmer and Aerosoft are not in competition for this project, obviously we aim for different markets, but if people way their VC looks better they got so show it.

Ohh in case you wonder the left section of the images are ours. Feel free to compare them to real images and let us know where we are wrong. After all, we are not even close to beta stage with these images.

post-43-126148674287_thumb.jpg

post-43-126148674657_thumb.jpg

post-43-126148675343_thumb.jpg

I think Aerosofts graphics has more depth to its look than the Airsimmer (more 3D looking), the subtle detail in surface of the panels on Aerosofts version giving it that slight used look does it for me. Although the specular lighting around the edges of Airsimmers panels does make them seem more 'metal' looking and not being in the cockpit of an Airbus I presume the panels are metal? I have to say they isnt much between the two and both are of the greatest care and attention to detail.

Just one last point should all the panels be the same colour blue or should they be slightly different shades?

375866814_7b4178ec26.jpg

Hi Kwiss?

Which panels do you mean?

Shown on the image here is a representation of the real panels. The regular ones a very similar. Only spare panels tend to be a bit offset. But this is some for the final texture treatment which happens on the end.

Then there is also subtle usage traces on other parts done. Mostly this is around the rough flat surfaces of buttons were tiny parts of the pilot finger skin get attached. Moved over there a hundred times a darker

shade is blooming there then.

post-9687-125122659907_thumb.jpg

A little off topic I know because we are talking visuals but Im interested in the sounds for the Airbus because like movies sound makes up 50% of the film. Will it be possible to add things like the sound of air rushing around the landing gear and maybe ambient cabin sounds or a sound module thats lets you turn the sounds on and off?

Hello Mathijs and team,

looking very much forward to your Airbus as well, so that I can finally replace my old (payware) A320 (and A319 and A321, if I read correctly), which I will be very glad to be rid of.

One question: will there be a virtual interior model? I'm just in the middle of an A320 flight from LHR to FRA, and after reaching cruising altitude and no longer having pressing business in the cockpit, I'm sitting in my window seat, just behind the right wing, looking down at the English Channel. I usually spend long portions of flights behind the wing, playing passenger, loving the scenery, and those planes that have an interior model (the PMDG 747, wilco's Airbus series, etc) which add a window frame around the "Aircraft View: Right Side Window" are so much more enjoyable for me, as the feeling of actually being a passenger is all the more realistic.

So fingers crossed that you've added something like this, or, alternately, that it's not too late, not too much work, and you like the idea :)

Best regards,

Tibbo

• Upvote 1

Hi Kwiss?

Which panels do you mean?

Shown on the image here is a representation of the real panels. The regular ones a very similar. Only spare panels tend to be a bit offset. But this is some for the final texture treatment which happens on the end.

Then there is also subtle usage traces on other parts done. Mostly this is around the rough flat surfaces of buttons were tiny parts of the pilot finger skin get attached. Moved over there a hundred times a darker

shade is blooming there then.

I was looking at the older generation flightdeck!

kwiss,

In your picture you have an "old generation" airbus with blue panels,

which has a replaced "new generation" FCU. (The newer panels are grey.)

Ah yes you are right! so will the cockpit be grey in colour I wonder?

• Aerosoft

Hello Mathijs and team,

looking very much forward to your Airbus as well, so that I can finally replace my old (payware) A320 (and A319 and A321, if I read correctly), which I will be very glad to be rid of.

One question: will there be a virtual interior model? I'm just in the middle of an A320 flight from LHR to FRA, and after reaching cruising altitude and no longer having pressing business in the cockpit, I'm sitting in my window seat, just behind the right wing, looking down at the English Channel. I usually spend long portions of flights behind the wing, playing passenger, loving the scenery, and those planes that have an interior model (the PMDG 747, wilco's Airbus series, etc) which add a window frame around the "Aircraft View: Right Side Window" are so much more enjoyable for me, as the feeling of actually being a passenger is all the more realistic.

So fingers crossed that you've added something like this, or, alternately, that it's not too late, not too much work, and you like the idea :)

Best regards,

Tibbo

I don't think so. I know there has been an move towards modeling to total interior (down to the toilets in some models) but we feel it has little need in a flight simulator and only is more code that needs to be dragged around. The game of course is about being the flight crew and not the passenger.

1205255.jpg

I can see the difficulty in getting the colours right seems to change so much depending on the light conditions!

The mid and darker tones in the image come near the real thing. The photo cameras mostly trigger their flash automaticly in the cockpit. In fact its darker in there than most people may think that have only seens photos. The interior is kept dark, to keep stress from the pilots eye and colored in cool blue to bluegreytones to make it not to convinient for the pilots. That has psychological reasons, so to keep the attention of the crew up. Warm, red interiors tend people to get tired much faster then in colder environments. So this is the reason for some extreme interior painting in russian aircraft, at least in the fighters and tupolews. Those acid green and turkish.

Well i really characterise what ive seen with my own eyes there. And that catches also the contrast between inside and outside, so too give the maximum on visual feeling. I hope the one or other has the chance to visit the right thing to see themselfes if it really looks flat and bright or decently shaded.

Two images attached, surely still work in progress. The night shots later will also get those flood lights and their beams.

The cockpit in the real world feels much smaller and narrow. But I had to pull up the view angle to 0.3 to get all on the image on that single monitor. Even with those 16:9 format the human sight is 4-5 times wider.

post-9687-125127905048_thumb.jpg

post-9687-125127907177_thumb.jpg