A new simulator (July / August issue)

I agree with other posts here. The flight model should come first, then everything else. If the flight model isn't realistic, you've lost already; if you get the flight model right, it's going to be a success. In FSX, the planes seem to fly as if they're on rails. X-Plane seems to have a more realistic flight model, but the controls seem too twitchy in the light planes. I think RoF is the best I've seen so far. If you can do at least as well as RoF, this is going to be one great sim.

Sorry if this has been asked already?

Will the new Simulator support current hardware that only works with FSX or FS2004? I've invested heavily in controllers and panels, some only work in FSX like my six Saitek FIP LCD guages? some of the panels will work with FSX and FS9.

There will be a lot of people like me that would hate to consign this investment to the bin or sell it if any new sim does not support it.

I wish Aerosoft all success with the new simulator though, even if MS decide to come back ... they have shown they cant be relied upon, whereas Aerosft can.

Cheers.

I would seriously like the water to responds to wind actions and I think that using a few different bump maps that can rotate this should not be too hard. For sure you could go from small ripples to some moderate wavs. The whole water interaction is a whole different kettle of fish.

It always seems to come down to the physics calculations, or at least a reasonable simulation of real physics. Its already generally agreed (I think) that its desirable to off-put more of the graphics load to the GPU to free up the CPU(s) but has it been considered how things like Nvidias PhysX technology and even whole Cards devoted entirely to Physics might affect a future sim?

• Aerosoft

Sorry if this has been asked already?

Will the new Simulator support current hardware that only works with FSX or FS2004? I've invested heavily in controllers and panels, some only work in FSX like my six Saitek FIP LCD guages? some of the panels will work with FSX and FS9.

There will be a lot of people like me that would hate to consign this investment to the bin or sell it if any new sim does not support it.

I wish Aerosoft all success with the new simulator though, even if MS decide to come back ... they have shown they cant be relied upon, whereas Aerosft can.

Cheers.

It has NOT been asked and it is a very good question.

If it works with FSUIPC I would say we can nearly guarantee it will work, if it connects via simconnect I can't be 100% sure as MS made this a propriety coms platform. A mistake we will NOT make. I got good hope though this will not be a major issue.

• Aerosoft

It always seems to come down to the physics calculations, or at least a reasonable simulation of real physics. Its already generally agreed (I think) that its desirable to off-put more of the graphics load to the GPU to free up the CPU(s) but has it been considered how things like Nvidias PhysX technology and even whole Cards devoted entirely to Physics might affect a future sim?

That's all decided by the game engine, one of the most complex decisions we got to make. I don't see any technology like Nvidias PhysX being a major factor though as they are all too linked to one bit of hardware. We know the key will be in making a platform and not a game.

That's all decided by the game engine, one of the most complex decisions we got to make. I don't see any technology like Nvidias PhysX being a major factor though as they are all too linked to one bit of hardware. We know the key will be in making a platform and not a game.

Oh, well. :lol:

I had a temporary fantasy of real-time flowing water (water landings!) and wind effects, rain-droplets, snow and weather modeling, smoke and clouds...... all sorts of amazing particle system stuff! Probably much harder to do just in software....... (or at least slower)

Maybe as an add on module? (Well, anythings, possible, right?) :wub:

I think it'd be interesting to have a lot of procedural stuff going on. Have a look at Far Cry 2 and especially the trees.. or even Spore. The trees are rendered in a procedural way, which allows for a great variety of trees without having to have different textures for each variation.. and it looks LOTS better than those billboard trees (which maybe you can still have on slower systems).

Another interesting development is physical modelling of engine sounds. This could provide you with at least a generic sound for each airplane which is actually based on the specs of the engine,(size, materials, housing, who knows what else) without the need of a lot of memory for all the samples. With a little luck it doesn't use too much processor time, so you can have it run in realtime.

http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/article/200223/000020022302A0827965.php