FS Dreamteam airports - gates not longer move for AI

Hi,

Been giving the AES demo a go to decide whether to buy it or not. I must say I am very impressed.

My own slight concern is how AES works at airports that already have active jetways rather than static ones e.g FS Dreamteam airports. My experience so far is that AES makes all the jetways static. Therefore although it adds a lot to the airport it also takes away some exisiting features (jetwys that dock with AI planes). Is it not possible to have AES just add the other features at these airports and leave the jetways as before?

Jon

• Developer
Hi,

Been giving the AES demo a go to decide whether to buy it or not. I must say I am very impressed.

My own slight concern is how AES works at airports that already have active jetways rather than static ones e.g FS Dreamteam airports. My experience so far is that AES makes all the jetways static. Therefore although it adds a lot to the airport it also takes away some exisiting features (jetwys that dock with AI planes). Is it not possible to have AES just add the other features at these airports and leave the jetways as before?

Jon

When your see the support of AI traffic more important then the support of you own aircraft, keep the fingers away from any AES.

For you: Go to the Scenery Library, remove the AES Basepack entry and by happy with moving (when you can call it so) jetways to all aircrafts around you.

Since when have AI ever been able to call jetways? I've never seen that.

I should have said I am using FSX. AI are able to call the default jetways in that. Some developers have been able to add custom designed jetways that work the same way and dock with AI planes. FS DreamTeam call them "Native animated inverse-kinematics based jetways in FSX."

Unfortunetly it appears AES removes this.

When your see the support of AI traffic more important then the support of you own aircraft, keep the fingers away from any AES.

Good point and it is clear that AES adds more than it takes away. I just think it is a shame that adding AES to some airports means some existing features have to be lost. Pity there isn't an option to disable AES jetways and use FS DreamTeams.

Jon

Since when have AI ever been able to call jetways? I've never seen that.

They always have.

Of course, only with AI models that have the Exits tagged with xyz coordinates in their aircraft.cfg so, if you used FS9 models without any modifications, the FSX jetways wouldn't work, because ther's no location for the exits in an FS9 aircraft.cfg. It's basically the same situation of the user airplanes, the FSX jetways works only if the exits are present and listed in the FSX format.

However, there's usually a performance penalty involved when using FSX jetways with AI, because the skinned animation system is quite costly so, having an airport with 100+ FSX jetways, is going to cost something on fps. A common suggestion to improve fps, is to remove the exits from all AI models (all the FSX default airplanes have them), so FSX jetways will no longer attach to them.

We managed to improve the performances somehow, by using the skinned animation only at the highest level LOD so, our jetways will attach to AI airplanes, but only when close to your viewpoint, because the lowest LOD versions of the jetways that displays in the distance do not have any bones attached to it.

But of course, having no bones animation at all, not even for the user airplane (like in AES) would always be faster than having only the closest ones displaying...

• Developer
But of course, having no bones animation at all, not even for the user airplane (like in AES) would always be faster than having only the closest ones displaying...

Hi Umberto,

thanks for the complex and correct explaining. The Animation of the Jetways whould not be the problem, because all AES jetways are allready "animated", but not reacting to the AI Aircraft. The movement calulation of the AES jetways is a very fast uncritical ASM code. But, to controll and handle all AI Movements on a big airport will need much time and is very complex and this will effect the frames much more.

The next problem we will get, when we support AI Aircraft is, that the user not only want to see the jetways there. They also wants to have all the servicecars around all AI Aircraft and this will latest overkill the available source of CPU at the moment.

..if you used FS9 models without any modifications, the FSX jetways wouldn't work..

I suspect that would be half of the reason I don't see it, I get my AI models from World of AI, which I believe are FS9. Also, my preferred airports are all using AES jetways, so I wouldn't see it anyway.