Glider trouble on MP Servers

Peter Lürkens

Recently I became aware, that there is some fundamental trouble on FSX multiplayer servers with gliders. The reason usually is, that the Maule tow plane, which is created by Ctrl-Shift-Y, and which is usually taken as the realistic launch option is spawned on the MP server, too, and is also reflected by all of the connected clients. This still sounds reasonable.

The trouble is, that the tow plane remains after the release of the tow, and even after the client has logged off, which means forever. The outcome is that by time more and more of the Maules are accumulating on the MP server, which continues to control the climb of these aircrafts. There are reports of Maules in FL3000 (300.000 ft!). Any 24/7 server is going defunct after a while, if it is frequented by gliders. Basically, this appears to be the reason that gliders are often exlcuded from unattended servers.

There was some discussion with Pete Dowson, who was asked to implement some automatic killing function for certain aircraft (in particular the notorious EC-527) in his FSUIPC, which he made available in licensed mode. Still it seems to me, that the problem is not yet fully solved.

To my experience, other objects, in particular clouds and probe objects of CumulusX! or Sim_probe are not duplicated and redistributed by the MP servers. Maybe this effect is only relevant for aircraft or even the Maule only. In this case I have the vague idea, that actually not the plane is broadcasted through the MP connection, but the CallTowPlane event.

If anybody likes to contribute to this topic, he or she is welcomed to give personal experience or further insight in that topic.

best regards,

Peter

• 3 months later...

Peter, I never got back to this topic (nearly 4 months ago it looks like). I know FSHost servers do not recognize the tow plane, or at least the modified one that I use. But this probably also means that other people cannot see the towplane while on tow. Does anyone know how VATSIM servers, and/or other servers as well, work with the towplane?

Scott

Does anyone know how VATSIM servers, and/or other servers as well, work with the towplane?

Scott

Tried it today and not a problem. The only issue is VATSIM do not allow you to log in ON the active. Therefore, the only problem that I see is how do you get your glider from it's parking position to the active??

we glider pilots are deeply and fundamentally stuffed by not having a multiplayer server that can be reliably accessed. In the virtual soaring world we should have an alternate reality in which it is always soarable... e.g. with the wind 17knots from the northwest at Mifflin. We'd need an agreed location in each major time zone and make sure the weather was ok there.

There's a possibility with FSX multiplay being able to be accessed directly via an IP address, and skipping the Gamespy crapola.

And no, I don't think FS2004 should be included if that means FSX pilots need to install additional software...

B21

we glider pilots are deeply and fundamentally stuffed by not having a multiplayer server that can be reliably accessed. In the virtual soaring world we should have an alternate reality in which it is always soarable... e.g. with the wind 17knots from the northwest at Mifflin. We'd need an agreed location in each major time zone and make sure the weather was ok there.

There's a possibility with FSX multiplay being able to be accessed directly via an IP address, and skipping the Gamespy crapola.

And no, I don't think FS2004 should be included if that means FSX pilots need to install additional software...

B21

The only option I can see is using for both FSX and 2004 versions - FSINN and COPILOT (both can logg in and be seen by either) The software is free and there are two servers that I can see open to anyone.

well... FSX out-of-the-box has multiplayer built in. The 'gamespy' concept was just totally broken, with an assumption every end user would turn into a server for a few minutes at a time - that simply is not how multiplayer gaming works - everyone really wants a reliable server to go to. But Microsoft have given instructions on bypassing Gamespy: on fsinsider.com