Question For Mathijs

cmpbllsjc

Mathijs, I am a fan of the work that Aerosoft either publishes and/or developes. It seems that stuff for Europe is comming out so quickly that it is almost hard to keep up with it. I have purchased some titles, but not all of them, and I have been very happy with the workmanship and quality. What I would like to know is if, or when Aerosoft is going to start doing airports for the US? Pretty soon between you guys, FSDreamteam, UK2000, you will have covered most major hubs in Europe.

Right now as it stands the U.S. still has a long way to go for FSX airports. FSDreamteam and Imaginesim are turning out some nice stuff for the U.S., but there is still room for many more hubs. From a business standpoint it would seem to me that the quality of stuff your team produces would sell airports for the U.S. very well. I know that you have the US Cities photoreal going, but I am thinking more along the lines of airports.

Going forward what is Aerosofts position on doing some airports for the U.S. or is Aerosoft never going to produce airports for the U.S.?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to read your reply.

Regards.

• Aerosoft

Three problems for us:

1) We need full access to airports to do a good job, in the US this is simply incredibly hard since 9/11

2) The US market is limited (compared to Europa) and customers are spread over a large area. People buy what they know and there are many time more potential customers in a 100 mile radius around Frankfurt then around O'Hare. I know this is hard to understand for many people in the US, but the German FS market for addons is larger then the US market for FS addons. In fact a lot larger.

3) US customers are slow to move to FSX and doing FS2004 airports is not very attractive for us.

All these things together means that there is not a lot done for the US market. We would certainly do more if it was possible from a logistics and commercial point of view.

I know this is impossible, but let's just joke around here for a minute and pretend this would be possible:

If I could get all resources needed to create a very small airport (about the size of the payware "Plum Island" scenery), who and how much would it take?

Be kind? ;)

Three problems for us:

1) We need full access to airports to do a good job, in the US this is simply incredibly hard since 9/11

2) The US market is limited (compared to Europa) and customers are spread over a large area. People buy what they know and there are many time more potential customers in a 100 mile radius around Frankfurt then around O'Hare. I know this is hard to understand for many people in the US, but the German FS market for addons is larger then the US market for FS addons. In fact a lot larger.

3) US customers are slow to move to FSX and doing FS2004 airports is not very attractive for us.

All these things together means that there is not a lot done for the US market. We would certainly do more if it was possible from a logistics and commercial point of view.

Mathijs,

I am very sorry. But I think that is a copout because Aerosoft simply doesn't want to take the time and effort to do an American airport. You talk about how hard it is to get access to a US airport. If FSDT, FlyTampa, Imagine Sim, and that joke called Blueprint can do it, then so can Aerosoft. It can't be a matter of it's too hard. The point is, Aerosoft is a german company and wants to focus on Germany. I think THAT is the truth. Because all the other sceneries you guys publish outside of Germany are from outside devlopers i.e. Simwings, Dreamfactory etc.

And if what you say is true, then Aerosoft really needs to focus on the rest of Europe. The truth of the matter is, Aerosoft should have developed LSZH. You guys had the chance and blew. FSDT has made a S#!T load of money on that. You guys should have done Vienna, FT beat you to that. All I am saying is please don't say that there is not good money or is too hard to create airport sceneries in the rest of Europe for your "German Airports Team" to consider. Because it is the quality of the German Airports Team we are talking about here. Not the other developers you publish for.

If you say NO to US airports, then that's cool. We have FSDT and Imagine sim. But I would really like to see your guys start doing airports outside of Germany for once.

Sorry if I came of harsh Mathijs :)

Mathijs,

I am very sorry. But I think that is a copout because Aerosoft simply doesn't want to take the time and effort to do an American airport. You talk about how hard it is to get access to a US airport. If FSDT, FlyTampa, Imagine Sim, and that joke called Blueprint can do it, then so can Aerosoft. It can't be a matter of it's too hard. The point is, Aerosoft is a german company and wants to focus on Germany. I think THAT is the truth. Because all the other sceneries you guys publish outside of Germany are from outside devlopers i.e. Simwings, Dreamfactory etc.

And if what you say is true, then Aerosoft really needs to focus on the rest of Europe. The truth of the matter is, Aerosoft should have developed LSZH. You guys had the chance and blew. FSDT has made a S#!T load of money on that. You guys should have done Vienna, FT beat you to that. All I am saying is please don't say that there is not good money or is too hard to create airport sceneries in the rest of Europe for your "German Airports Team" to consider. Because it is the quality of the German Airports Team we are talking about here. Not the other developers you publish for.

If you say NO to US airports, then that's cool. We have FSDT and Imagine sim. But I would really like to see your guys start doing airports outside of Germany for once.

Sorry if I came of harsh Mathijs :)

You actually provide your own answer: Aerosoft is GERMAN company. Why would they expect to have access privileges to an AMERICAN airport? I guarantee you if you came over here and started sniffing around one of our international hubs, very soon you would be answering questions from a man wearing a rubber glove...

If you're so smart, how come you cannot recognise the americo-centric peculiarities of your own nation? Come to think of it, who wants American airports anyway? I never fly there in the sim, I haven't flown there for real in many years, and would have no interest in an international hub if I did... If the market was so big for US hubs, then surely there'd be more than a measly handful of developers programming them..?

There is no obligation on Aerosoft to satisfy your desires, and they have explained why. It has nothing to do with any obligation to provide you, or anyone else with European airports.

Your asinine attitude simply shows you do not understand the FS market in Europe.

At all.

I'm very satisifed with what Aerosoft puts outs. Nice to have a specific developer for a specific region.

As you said

FSDreamteam and Imaginesim are turning out some nice stuff for the U.S., but there is still room for many more hubs.

Hate to burst this bubble. Do we really need "Another" US major airport. Although I enjoy them immensely, I think it's time somebody churned out a proper Canadian hub.

Name one quaility developer that has released a Major Canadian Hub? EXACTLY!

In terms of area, we're the bigger one. You'd think one company (Other than Blueprint Default) would put something out.

Somebody?

Anybody?

Please wake up and smell the back bacon!

i agree with geddy_2112

I recently went to Toronto Pearson to see the A380...(beautiful bird by the way), anyways i got home and once again was dissapointed by the airport in fsx. Someone needs to make a Canadian airport.( even if it isnt Toronto) I know Blueprint has one but i wouldnt spend a dime on them.

Newmanix ended up proving his own point, but snave, you need to realize that there is a market out there for U.S airports. Im not saying aerosoft would be the company making them because they're from Germany but there is other people that fly to the U.S. Mathjis stated that people buy airports that are near them. Which in this case it would make sense that they keep delevoping Euro airports. Aerosoft market in my guess is mostly European. I think your assinine attitude and close mindedness shows you know nothing of the U.S market. Your just stating your own opinion of the U.S! Once again i dont expect Aerosoft to start making U.S airports but Fsdreamteam is continueing to make U.S airport so there is a market out there for U.S airports. In the end i agree with newmanix that there needs to be more U.S airports ( AND CANADIAN!!) but i agree that aerosoft wouldnt be the company to make them.

Thanks Mathijs for your reply. I didn't expect that there would be what felt like heated responses from some of the others.

Mathijs, I would like to ask you a few question regarding your answers, not because I am questioning you or anything like that, but just as some follow up that I was curious about.

1. You said that you would need full access to airports to do a good job. Is it possible to do airports without full access? For example, FlyTampa did Kai Tak with parts of the city. Know I don't know if they had actually gone to Kai Tak since it has been closed for a while, or drove around the city taking pictures, but I would assume that it was done using aeria photos, etc. I know that it will never be possible to do an airport in its exact specs, and I don't think it would be expected by consumers anyway to have buildings rendered in exact measurements, however even if airport were done to at least look like the real place I think most consumers would be happy. Again using Kai Tak as an example, I think that it is a great representation of how it must have looked in its time, even if its not spot on.

2. I understand that a lot of people want to buy what they know, that's why I raised the question about doing some US stuff. I can't even count how many times I have read on various sim forums peolpe asking for a rendition of Miami, Portland, San Francisco, Denver, LAX, Albuquerque, DFW, Houston, Seattle, etc, etc. Although I don't know what Aerosoft uses to measure demand, or the fact the there is more demand for German airports than there are for airports in the US, but based on the popularity of the FS9 versions of these airports done by the likes of FlyTampa and others, I can't imagine that these airports wouldn't be profitable to do if Aerosoft could do them in the quality that they do the German airport series. Maybe Aerosoft would be surprised if they did one of these airports that has yet to be done for FSX and it sold well. Besides, what happens when the German airport team finally completes all the major hubs in Germany and/or Europe if they do these too, aren't they going to need something to do?

3. You mention that US customers are slow to move to FSX. Again, I don't know what Aerosoft uses to measure this, but I have read that other developers like FSDreamteam,PMDG and some others are finding that they are beginning to see increased sales in the FSX products and some developers aren't even going to be doing FS9 stuff anymore and just concentrating on FSX developements. I know that FSX has been a pain for some due to not having the power to run it in a manner that looks good and is enjoyable, but as the hardware becomes cheaper I would think that at some point FSX is going to gain more popularity than it does now.

Thanks again for your reply. Like I said I really enjoy the products you develope, however I don't own all them since I like to fly where I know, but I have never been to Maderia, Germany, Portugal, or Spain, but I still bought some of these products anyway because I like to explore the world. Maybe if Aerosoft did some stuff in the US it would make those in Germany and Europe want to "explore" the US a little.

Geddy_2112, I don't know if we "need" another US major airport, I know a lot of people in the US would sure like some :D . However, I wouldn't mind some in Canada as well. I think the only thing done for you guys is Vancouver.

Snave, just cause you don't have any interest in America airports doesn't mean that no one else does. That would be like me saying who would want any UK aiports? Come on man, just because you either dislike America, Americans, or American airports doesn't put you in the majority. I don't think that newmanix was saying that Aerosoft has to satisfy his desires. He was just saying that he thinks that good renditions of airports can be done without actually going to the airports by using aerial photos and other sources of airport photography that is found on the internet. I highly doubt that a lot of developers actually go to a lot of the aiports they do and snoop around taking photos. Using Microsofts Bird's Eye maps you can probably get enough views of an airport to make a very good rendition.

I don't think that the lack of US airports on the market now is because there is a lack of interest, but more of a lack of developers who do this type of work as more of a full time job. The fellow from FlyTampa has another job and doesn't have much time. I am sure if he did have time to spend on only FSX modeling he probably would have either already converted his prior FS9 stuff to work in FSX or have stuff already in the works.

cmpbllsjc:

Well said. Very well said. You were correct on all of your points, and you grasped my point. Sooner of later, the German Team are going to run out of major airports... Then again, there are a lot of airports in Germany. Their work is very good! And it would just be good to see them do another European airport like Prague Ruzyne, Malano Malpisna, Rome Fiume, Copenhagen, Genoa Sestri... To name a few...

Just like I would like to see UK2000 make Dublin, Cork, and Shannon. Just because the name is German Team, or UK2000, does it really mean they should confine themselvs to sceneries their names suggests?

And by the way, I have not been to a lot of airports made by Aerosoft, but I buy them anyway because the quality of work is very nice and Enjoyable to fly into.

Snave:

take notes.

Someone hit a few nerves here. Does it really need to be this rancorous? After all we are discussing a video game, not politics.

Three problems for us:

The thing I find interesting about your comment here Mathijs is about how the market is bigger in Germany than in the US. Given the population difference and size of the aviation industry in the US versus Germany you would thing that would not be the case. Are there even any German aircraft maufacturers, excepting gliders? Anyway I woud be interested in hearing why you think that might be. Maybe it is because everyone wants their local airport and the catchment area for each airport in the US is that much smaller? Looks like Germany with 82 million people only has 615 airports* vs. just under 20,000 in the US with a pop. of 304 million? If so it would mean the catchment area per airport in Germany would be something like 133,333 vs. 15,525 in the US. This still wouldn't explain why the German market is that much bigger than say France, Italy or the UK.

My experience is that security is not a major hurdle if you talk to the right people. I do a bit of plane spotting on the weekend at my local airport KHPN which ranks as the 44th busiest in the US by movements and I have never had any problems with anyone about security. I go to the GA side of the airport and sit in one of FBO parking lots very near the taxiway for an hour or so at a time. Though I have to admit I haven't tried taking pictures.

* Source is wikipedia. I can't believe this is correct? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_in_...y#Air_transport

Living in Marina del Rey you could almost walk to LAX or spot from your back yard, lol. What services do you perform for your airline?

BTW, I bet your happy the way your Lakers are taking care of Orlando ;)

Living in Marina del Rey you could almost walk to LAX or spot from your back yard, lol. What services do you perform for your airline?

BTW, I bet your happy the way your Lakers are taking care of Orlando ;)

Honestly, not a big Lakers fan. But I hope they get the Championship, LA needs it. I was all Bulls and didn't jump the bandwagon. Working for an Middle East carrier (wont say which but is easy to guess) in Consumer Affairs dealing with people like snave who just whine for attention. Love my job. And my back yard is a marina full of boats. The hills of Playa Del Rey to the south blocks out the airport. So it's nice and quiet.

Who's the girl in the picture by the way?

Cheers!

My reply was based on a post by Phil Taylor of ACES which revealed that MS expected less than 4% of the total `population` - purchasers of the sim - to actually go on to buy addons other than game patches or updates. It was neither random, nor actually a statistic.

Unlike the one above. Which is.

...although it might have been 1%, it was a long time ago and I can't be bothered to look it up. It makes no difference to the exactitude of my original statement. You can find what you need by googling Phils blog, if you must.

However, a large proportion of the TOTAL user base is either North American, or users who prefer to sim in that part of the world. Given that is the case (no statistics needed, but again if you must, there are relative volume totals available from USA and Europe, ignoring the ROTW which again justify and quantify the exactness of the statement, if you are desparate to) the FSX market ought to be completely dominated by US scenery addons.

And it ain't. There are makers and publishers for US addons.

For the rest there is Aerosoft. And long may it continue.

I'm sure Mathijs is unwilling to name his sources, but as the success of Aerosoft as a business venture is founded on correct decisions, it might be a little churlish to take dispute with figures, unless you can provide some of your own?

For the rest there is Aerosoft. And long may it continue.

Heck, no argument on that from me. I was simply stating that, with ACES gone and no other group producing a simulator (yet), determining just how many people are still using FS9 and won't use FSX could prove difficult. With computer hardware advancing like it is now, more and more Americans will switch to FSX. That certainly doesn't mean that Aerosoft should start producing American airports. In fact, I would say that one excellent reason that Mathijs didn't include is that their team is simply doing what it does best and enjoys doing, and will therefore put out a better product. It's kind of like how everyone wanted a certain developer to make a 777 for FSX after their 767 was released. Instead, they began work on a 757. There was a big fuss over why they would make such a decision, but in the end, one fact rang true: the group developing the product will do best at what they enjoy developing the most and are best at. In the end, you say that Aerosoft must have information to tell them they are doing the right thing. I would speculate that any venture, especially in this small market of ours, carries significant risk. It's the name of the game. The good news is that Aerosoft is succeeding.

I think the bigger argument is, how does Aerosoft know their American customer base? Because they have so focused on Europe (which I love) perhaps the American base has had to look elsewhere due to lack of American/Canadian coverage here. It seems proven that between FSDT, FZ, C9, IS, FT, and BP that the American customer base is quite largely present indeed! It seems that a hellova lot of money was made on the Las Vegas scenery. And lets not forget, with the declining dollar, more Europeans are visiting and spending money in America than ever before. I happen to find that the British LOVE Las Vegas, thus I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of UK blokes bought that scenery. European based air carriers hold a huge presence in the US and CAN. I do indeed think that if Aerosoft at least tried, at least tried. They might indeed find their American customer base. How many people bought the NYC scenery?? I will bet it was a lot of Europeans. And If Europeans bought the NYC scenery, than I an sure they also bought the JFK scenery too.

Also, if Aerosoft really wants to make a NEW FLIGHT SIMULATION PLATFORM, sayings like and I quote Mathijs: "The US market is limited (compared to Europe) People buy what they know and there are many time more potential customers in a 100 mile radius around Frankfurt then around O'Hare. I know this is hard to understand for many people in the US, but the German FS market for addons is larger then the US market for FS addons. In fact a lot larger."

That is not a good way to win over your American customer base Mathijs especially given the fact that in spite all your statistics you have on paper, Aerosoft hasn't even tried to do a US airport. Please try to reach out to us before setting in stone that we are not big enough for you.

If I remember correctly, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX. These are American home grown bred products right??

Mathijs, I just think you really should give us a chance my friend. Is that so hard to do?? Is that such a waste of Aerosoft money?? To take a chance??

• Aerosoft
I know this is impossible, but let's just joke around here for a minute and pretend this would be possible:

If I could get all resources needed to create a very small airport (about the size of the payware "Plum Island" scenery), who and how much would it take?

Be kind? ;)

Of course it all depends a lot on how detailed it is, how many objects we can reuse from other projects, if we can buy in objects etc, but you most certainly would need to calculate with several months of full time work. A major airport is always between 6 months and a year.

• Aerosoft
Someone hit a few nerves here. Does it really need to be this rancorous? After all we are discussing a video game, not politics.

The thing I find interesting about your comment here Mathijs is about how the market is bigger in Germany than in the US. Given the population difference and size of the aviation industry in the US versus Germany you would thing that would not be the case. Are there even any German aircraft maufacturers, excepting gliders? Anyway I woud be interested in hearing why you think that might be. Maybe it is because everyone wants their local airport and the catchment area for each airport in the US is that much smaller? Looks like Germany with 82 million people only has 615 airports* vs. just under 20,000 in the US with a pop. of 304 million? If so it would mean the catchment area per airport in Germany would be something like 133,333 vs. 15,525 in the US. This still wouldn't explain why the German market is that much bigger than say France, Italy or the UK.

My experience is that security is not a major hurdle if you talk to the right people. I do a bit of plane spotting on the weekend at my local airport KHPN which ranks as the 44th busiest in the US by movements and I have never had any problems with anyone about security. I go to the GA side of the airport and sit in one of FBO parking lots very near the taxiway for an hour or so at a time. Though I have to admit I haven't tried taking pictures.

* Source is wikipedia. I can't believe this is correct? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_in_...y#Air_transport

On security... we need to drive around the airport on the aircraft side making pictures of all the buildings, get measurements of the heights etc. Believe me, most airport security people freak out when you talk to them about this. I do not know how other companies do it. I know many projects are done WITHOUT this material or information. This can sure lead to very good products but we got problems with them, the biggest problem being that doing it that was is never accepted for a professional project and that is an important market for us.

One side comment on security, even getting into the US if you work on airport simulations is hard these days. The last 4 times I traveled to the US I was picked out of the line and spend hours waiting for things to clear. As this happened more often I now know that it simply is the fact I asked for access to airports that triggered homeland security. Even traveling inside the US it creates problems.

On projects from other companies... keeping what I say above in mind there is a secondary aspect. Without any disrespect, Aerosoft is a whopping lot bigger then the other companies mentioned here. Ten, fifteen or even twenty times bigger and that means that we almost always need to aim for much higher sales numbers. While another company would be happy with 1500 sales, we with our large distribution need a lot more to make a good profit So project that can be okay for smaller companies can be impossible to do for us. And when they are not impossible they make little sense when there are other projects that will be more profitable.

On US versus Europe/Germany.... The fact the US market is relatively small is a well known fact for everybody who works in this industry. It is not really related to FS only, it goes for almost all PC games. PC games simply do a lot better where do not have to compete with the consoles so much. PC games were wiped out to nearly nothing in Asia by Sony and MS is trying to do the same in the US with the Xbox. With great success I might say as it is harder and harder to get any PC game in the big retail stores. Not long ago I was in a few German stores with Robert Randazzo (of PMDG). He knows the US retail market very well but was blown away with a very ordinary German retailer (MediaMarkt) that had 22 FS addons on the shelf. He never seen anything like that (even wanted to make pictures). I also have never seen a good collection of FS addons in a store in the US. A few Abacus products (less and less these days) and that's it. MS did never do anything in the US to help addons to the stores while in Europe they certainly do, even now Aces is closes MS Germany still helps us with this. Now of course availability and demand are connected and we are lucky in Europe that way. But in the end, we can only sell addons to people who bought FS and all versions of FS since FS2004 simply sold better in Europe then in the US.

In the end, we sure would like more US customers and we sure would like more US products (and we sure would like better access to US stores), but Aerosoft is a professional company, we got people to pay, buildings to maintain, taxes to pay. We only do what we know will sell. If we would know that we would sell a whopping lot of US airports we would try harder to do so, but without the US retail it just makes more sense to do European airports. Of course we got many German airports, it is inside Europe the biggest market, wer got good access to the airports and we know how to reach the customers there.

• Aerosoft
If I remember correctly, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX. These are American home grown bred products right??

Yes and since FS2002 there were more users in Europe then in the USA. Take for example the amount of events in Europe. There are over 20 major shows a year where thousands of people meet and talk to developers. Not a bad word about the Avsim conference (we will be there of course) but with a few hundred visitors it would be way too small for us to visit it in Europe. Ten years ago I organized an event that had 5000 visitors in one day. That's why there are so much more developers in Europe then in the US. Most developers come from users after all. We see the same spread in VA's and online flying organisations.

Mathijs, I just think you really should give us a chance my friend. Is that so hard to do?? Is that such a waste of Aerosoft money?? To take a chance??

It's not a chance, it is a near certainty that it is easier for us to sell Frankfurt then JFK. And a company like Aerosoft simply tries to make as much profit as possible, just like any other commercial company does. And to make profit we need to do what our customers want. We even opened a Aerosoft office in North America to see if that would help to get better access to that market, but it hardly made a difference. There are loads of American customers who would love Aerosoft products, but they are in a sea of Xbox users and surrounded by retailers that don't even know that a PC can be used for games as well.

All in all a shame because US customers are our favorite. They are easy, they work with you when there are problems. The average European customer is less patient and far less polite.

Mathijs thats for the replies and all the insight. Until I read your posts I had no idea that FS was really that big in Europe. Hopefully interest in flight simulation will continue to grow in the US, but I understand that the majority of people in the US enjoy Xbox and Playstation games more than PC based simulations, especially the younger crowd, 21 yrs and younger.

Regards.

• Aerosoft
Mathijs thats for the replies and all the insight. Until I read your posts I had no idea that FS was really that big in Europe. Hopefully interest in flight simulation will continue to grow in the US, but I understand that the majority of people in the US enjoy Xbox and Playstation games more than PC based simulations, especially the younger crowd, 21 yrs and younger.

Regards.

The US is nothing compared to Asia. 12 years ago we sold 50.000 copies of a Tokyo scenery in a matter of a few weeks. Now we are amused when we see a few sales a month to Japan. Japanese just don't see PC's as a game platform anymore. There are more problems, for example netbooks (far more popular in Europe then in the US btw). Great tools, I could not live without my EEE, but they are even more useless then normal notebooks for games.

Great tools, I could not live without my EEE, but they are even more useless then normal notebooks for games.

Hopefully that will start to change a bit this fall with the introduction of Nvidia's Tegra ARM11 600MHz SoC. Supposedly it can play Quake III at 35fps or 720p video for around 10 hours on a single charge of a 3-cell battery as it runs at <1 watt. Therefore no fan or heat sink required. So you should see netbooks around October time frame that are sub US$200, all day instant on and capable of 3d gaming with a weight of under 1kg.

Japanese just don't see PC's as a game platform anymore
Does it possibly mean the beginning of an end for PC-based games in general?

If so, then what about the longtime future of our beloved flight simulation?

Best regards,

Rafal

Does it possible mean the beginning of an end for PC-based games in general?

If so, then what about the longtime future of our beloved flight simulation?

Best regards,

Rafal

I agree VORJAB, and according to Mathijs, Europe, namely Germany, seems to be the last place on Earth for big sales of PC games/FS products.

Mathijs, if the market for FS on a PC is so low in the US and ASIA, is your European base really big enough to justify spending the money for a new simulator? Because now that I know there are no prospects for the US market from Aerosoft regarding addon scenery, I may just accept FS9 and FSX as the end, and stick with that. Why waste the money? What if the other current 3rd party developers decide not to accept/develop for this new Aerosoft Simulator? Without complete world coverage of scenery, what is the point?

Getting a even deeper feeling of just keeping FS9 on my laptop, and FSX on the new desktop. I am not encouraged to go after a new simulator. I will wait to see what the 3rd party aircraft and scenery developers decide to do first. Because, THAT will decide the success os ANY simulator. It is the very reason X-Plane is not too popular. What will make the Aerosoft simulator so different?

Are you in touch with the 3rd party developers? Are they onboard?? Would be good to know.