Aerosoft Sound Control for Carenado Mooney M-20J

Shaun Fletcher

We just uploaded Aerosoft Sound Control (ASC) for the Carenado Mooney M-J20 Xto the

FAQ Updates section of the site. Just log on to the FAQs Updates section and select the

Carenado Mooney as the product you want to see updates for. Please note that only if

you bought the Carenado Mooney at our shop and registered it, you can use this free

update. It was made by Aerosoft as a free addon for our customers only (of course this

was discussed with our friends at Carenado). ASC is a special module that enhances the

sounds of FSX. It looks for 'events' in fsx and plays a sound when the event is detected.

For example hitting a light switch is normally a silent event in FSX but with ASC you will

hear a nice little click

Hi Shaun

Does this mean that unless we actually purchased the Mooney through Aerosoft that we can not gain access to this wonderful product?

Or are we able to register it (I bought mine through Carenado when it first came out) and then be able to get it?

Malcolm

• Aerosoft
Hi Shaun

Does this mean that unless we actually purchased the Mooney through Aerosoft that we can not gain access to this wonderful product?

Or are we able to register it (I bought mine through Carenado when it first came out) and then be able to get it?

Malcolm

Sorry this is only for customers who bought the product at Aerosoft. It's a service for Aerosoft customers, to thank them for buying the product at our shop. Other Carenado aircraft will get the same ASC sound set in the next few days.

Sorry to labour the point, and I understand your wish to reward your customers.

I have bought many Aerosoft products directly from your company, and they are amongst the best produced, and I could understand if you 'protected' your own products like this. The fact that I was eager to buy the Mooney, and most other Carenado aircraft before they were available from your store should surely not restrict me, and the majority of people out here from the availability what I would term as virtually freeware.

Another developer has produced a Hi-Def rendition of the Mooney (both exterior and vc) and has issued it as freeware for the enjoyment of all flight simmers. And that was done with the cooperation of Carenado. Are Carenado aware of the limited availability of your add-on?

Please do not take this as criticism against your wonderful company and the high standard products that you provide, it is purely a comment on your policy decision process. It in no way will prevent me from purchasing any future Aerosoft offerings!

Kindest regards

Malcolm

Will this be rolled out to all Carenado products sold through Aerosoft? As I just bought the Cessna 206 through Aerosoft I am hoping so.

I think Harvard Business School should do a case study of your customer service model. Too bad the simming community is so small that there is limited revenue opportunity to leverage it over. But there is a good opportunity for anyone willing to replicate your model to sales in other industries.

But that being said I do think you should at least sell the sound control for a nominal sum to those who did not purchase Carenado products directly from Aerosoft. Granted other companies are giving away freebees but from a business stand point I don't think it really helps much. At least for me, it doesn't make me more likely to buy their products (though I do because they are very good.) I don't think too many people would think it unreasonable if you sold them for a few euro.

I have to second the opinions of Mal and Bandsma. Please consider making these available for a nominal sum. I own quite a few Aerosoft products (ten at last count), which Aerosoft sells both directly and through other distributors, some of which include the new Aerosoft Sound Control regardless of where purchased. I wish I could always buy directly from Aerosoft, but currency conversion rates often mean that the rational economic decision is to purchase some products through another distributor. I never considered that you would deem that disloyal, since you choose to make it an available option.

More to the point, those Caranedo products I own that have been purchased elsewhere cannot now be bought from Aerosoft without the unacceptable waste of purchasing them a second time. You can't make me a customer of yours for those already purchased products by withholding this enhancement, since I won't rationally buy them a second time.

What you can do, and it will engender good will along with profits, is to make the ASC Caranedo enhancements available for purchase. If you want to give it away to those who purchase the base product directly from you, while selling it to others who purchased that base product elsewhere, that would remove the surprise of being penalized after the fact as well as providing a gentle incentive to switch the choice of distributor from whom to purchase in the future, assuming the economics make sense. The current policy does not befit Aerosoft's cordial image, and leaves a unaccustomed bad taste. I hope you will reconsider.

• Aerosoft

Good comments, all of them. Let me think it over for a while. Think we should find a way to give Aerosoft customers (even if they did not buy the Carenado aircraft) access to this file. I do not think we should sell the file as it is very small and I do not like to sell addons for addons. For now, if you got a Aerosoft registered product, contact me at support@aerosoft.com with the same email address as used for the purchase. We'll send you the files by email then.

Btw, of course we have been in contact with Carenado about this, after all we add a line to the panel.cfg they created.

Thanks Mathijs.

My faith in you and Aerosoft has not wavered. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to our requests. The support at Aerosoft is what makes your company one of the best.

Malcolm

Some technical comment on the sound update:

The .wav files inside the ZIP file are placed in folder "...\SOUND\Aerosoft_Sound_System\Aerosoft_Sound_System". When you unpack the archive as described, FSX complains that it cannot find the .wav files. If they are moved one folder up (i.e. into "...\SOUND\Aerosoft_Sound_System") everything works fine.

Btw, thanks for this nice little addon (luckily I bought my Mooney from Aerosoft)!

Kind regards,

Hans

• Aerosoft
Some technical comment on the sound update:

The .wav files inside the ZIP file are placed in folder "...\SOUND\Aerosoft_Sound_System\Aerosoft_Sound_System". When you unpack the archive as described, FSX complains that it cannot find the .wav files. If they are moved one folder up (i.e. into "...\SOUND\Aerosoft_Sound_System") everything works fine.

Btw, thanks for this nice little addon (luckily I bought my Mooney from Aerosoft)!

Kind regards,

Hans

Oops my bad. the version that is now online has that solved.

Thanks, Mathijs, for giving this further consideration and for crafting an accommodation, a gracious gesture from a generous company.

One last thought on the topic - I appreciate your sensitivity to charging for an add-on to an add-on, and for the relative size of the material involved. It still strikes me as a tad grasping to take it for free, however. How would it suit your sensibilities to put the Orphanage Donation button to work here for those who want the sound module for Caranedo products purchased elsewhere, requiring some donation, but not requiring a set amount (perhaps with a reasonable minimum of, say, a single Euro)?

Something to think about, no doubt. And thanks again for doing just that.

• Aerosoft
One last thought on the topic - I appreciate your sensitivity to charging for an add-on to an add-on, and for the relative size of the material involved. It still strikes me as a tad grasping to take it for free, however. How would it suit your sensibilities to put the Orphanage Donation button to work here for those who want the sound module for Caranedo products purchased elsewhere, requiring some donation, but not requiring a set amount (perhaps with a reasonable minimum of, say, a single Euro)?

Something to think about, no doubt. And thanks again for doing just that.

Nice idea, let me work on that this week. Not sure if it makes sense as there are cost for a transaction.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice idea, let me work on that this week. Not sure if it makes sense as there are cost for a transaction.

With regards,

Mathijs Kok (on behalf of Aerosoft)

Dear Mr Kok ... Have you been able to sort out the details for a donation or fee for the Mooney sound enhancement package? I would be happy to donate a couple of bucks to a worthy charity and get the upgrade as a reward.

Dennis G

With regards,

Mathijs Kok (on behalf of Aerosoft)

Dear Mr Kok ... Have you been able to sort out the details for a donation or fee for the Mooney sound enhancement package? I would be happy to donate a couple of bucks to a worthy charity and get the upgrade as a reward.

Dennis G

Just downloaded and installed the ASC for Mooney. Adds a nice touch. Thank you

Dennis