The Ultimate monitor for FS?

Sharrow

Check out the latest in ultra-widescreen monitor design. How cool would this 43incher be for FS!? Screen res of "only" 2880x900 (I thought it would be more) and a price tag of $7999.00. Would anyone here pay that much? I'd certainly be tempted!

PS: Mathijs, please include an "ultrawidescreen" option in the new sim's config file... :rolleyes:

nec-monitor.jpg

That is very cool. But for that price, you could have surrounding HD Projectors for a more intense experience!

Yep...totally agree... too expensive yet, but definately a fs simmer dream!...

Triple Head 2 Go will soon be in the shelf if this baby becomes more normal ppl price.

When blue-ray first came out the very first writers were not far off this price. You can get them for $200 these days. At CES the other day OCZ demo'd a 1TB SSD which is 2 x 512GB SSD's in a RAID 0 config. Same size as an internal cd/dvd writer. Price? Approx. $7500

Perhaps some here may well be beta testing "AeroFS" on hardware very similar to these two. Only by then (call it 18 months) the equivalents will cost $500 each.

That is very cool. But for that price, you could have surrounding HD Projectors for a more intense experience!

Agreed, for that price I would build myself a whole fs room with a 5m wide curved wall and 2 HD projectors. But we are talking about a desktop solution here and HD projectors will never be that. Once monitors like this reach $1000 or so I will not be able to resist. Throw in Windows 7, DX11 and a GTX3xx (or two) and we're on our way.

...it's only double a terribly poor standard 1440*900 resolution monitor, such as I'm stuck with at the moment.

FSX would look really, really crap with that much real estate at such a low (relatively) resolution.

Sorry, but I think you guys are getting carried away with enthusiasm. TH2GO and three High-Res widescreen monitors would absolutely eat this puppy alive in the quality of display stakes, and already costs just a bit less than 8 grand..! ^_^

Peripheral vision is important to flight simulation, but not when it is to the detriment of display quality. And think how a 2D panel would look... yeeucch! :(

Agreed, as I mentioned in my OP the screen res is a bit lacking. But this is 1st generation tech, by the time we are forking out the cash for one it will 3rd gen or later. No reason why these curving ultra wide screens cannot go to 4000+ x 1200+ in the next two odd years. Is there?

Full screen 2D panel design for such a resolution is an issue for sure and stretching panels to fit is obviously not an option. I do not use full screen 2D panels at all so for me personally this is not an issue. Pop-up 2D panels are not a problem either way as they do not need to be full screen. Not sure how big of a part a classic 2D cockpit (ala FS9) will play in any future flight simulator anyway?

True for future sims Konrad, but for the here and now, I think regardless of price TH2Go is a better solution - and one which has usefulness beyond just flight simulation. This is really only a glorified advertising display hoarding, and although it would have a use for certain situations in FS, I can't see this as an all-round solution...

Pun intended! :rolleyes:

Yes, yes but this is talk about the future. What twit would buy a screen like that today for gaming purposes seeing that not a single gpu can support that kind of res and no game can either?

My suspicion is that your all-round solution is parked at some airfield somewhere, and that it will remain there for a good few decades to come...

This is very exciting. I have been dreaming of one of these for a long time now, but of course with much higher resolution. This (especially 3) would be a sim builder's dream come true. And as already pointed out, I bet in 2 years these things will be very affordable compared to this listed price.

... And think how a 2D panel would look... yeeucch! :(

True enough, but by the time these monitors are affordable people will respond with "2D panel? What's a 2D panel?" :)

Thaellar

Check out the resolution... not that great as you think it is.

And as a former IT guy in a radiology department I know about the difficulties in matching monitors, I doubt it will ever look seriously good.

Yeah... i agree... 900 of height is not that much...and its very large... but i truly believe this is the way for next generation gaming monitors.

Curve means greater imersion and when the price reaches a normal value i believe every fssimmer will have one of these if they can afford it, after all, it is much better than having two monitors side to side as u dont get the division on the middle...what is a big problem for a 2 monitor set in FS.

Cheers

Yeah... i agree... 900 of height is not that much...and its very large... but i truly believe this is the way for next generation gaming monitors.

Curve means greater imersion and when the price reaches a normal value i believe every fssimmer will have one of these if they can afford it, after all, it is much better than having two monitors side to side as u dont get the division on the middle...what is a big problem for a 2 monitor set in FS.

Cheers

Less of a problem, surely, when what you are imaging is a framed cockpit window..? As any TH2Go will tell you, particularly the digital version, after a few moments you don't `see` the joins anymore. The problem with a `wraparound ` screen is the inherent distortion in an image designed for display in a flat panel environment. No problem for panoramic views, but potentially distracting when looking at round instruments that are elongated.