DH-6 Twin Otter

Porsche2

I can't see needed cockpit instruments, for example the HSI. So I can't change heading etc. My monitor is a 23" Acer 1920x1080. I would think I would be able to see the entire cockpit. I can't even scroll around views to access areas of the Captain's instrument panel?

Applying brakes is only time I can see bottom of HSI that's it?

What am I doing wrong? How do I get complete instrument panel or the ability to scroll thru cockpit?

Thanks, Porsche

Hello Porsche,

Yes you will either need to zoom out slightly or tilt your head down using the pan switch (Top Hat) on your joystick if you have one. You can also use the "A" key to get to different panels in the VC.

Standard FSX functions:

Shift + Mouse, Shift + Mouse scroll wheel

Both allow you to point and zoom to your hearts content.

Also, do you have the FSX.cfg configured for Widescreen viewing? Seems odd with that amount of monitor real estate you can't see the whole thing in 16:9

Standard FSX functions:

Also, do you have the FSX.cfg configured for Widescreen viewing? Seems odd with that amount of monitor real estate you can't see the whole thing in 16:9

I haven't touched the FSX.cfg. I set display setting only. I'll see what I can learn about editing FSX.cfg. I will try scrolling with mouse; I generally only use Joystick and Keyboard.

Thanks, Simon, I appreciate your help, Porsche

I can't see needed cockpit instruments, for example the HSI. So I can't change heading etc. My monitor is a 23" Acer 1920x1080. I would think I would be able to see the entire cockpit. I can't even scroll around views to access areas of the Captain's instrument panel?

Applying brakes is only time I can see bottom of HSI that's it?

What am I doing wrong? How do I get complete instrument panel or the ability to scroll thru cockpit?

Thanks, Porsche

Shaun, thanks the pan fixed the problem. But, wouldn't you think I should see more of the panel with a 1920x1080 monitor? One forum member mentioned editing the FSX.cfg file. I don't know how to do that or what should be edited. What do you think? If that's a fix, what needs to be edited and how?

Thanks again for the help,

Porsche

Standard FSX functions:

Thanks, Simon, your suggestion re mouse was a big help. RE FSX.cfg, I've never done that, can you tell me how and what needs to be edited. I am familiar with text editors and have done minor editing to FS9 *.cfg files.

Thanks, Porsche

Thanks, Simon, your suggestion re mouse was a big help. RE FSX.cfg, I've never done that, can you tell me how and what needs to be edited. I am familiar with text editors and have done minor editing to FS9 *.cfg files.

Thanks, Porsche

All you have to do is find the right FSX.cfg (Mine is located at:

"C:\Documents and Settings\XXXXX\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.CFG" where XXXXX is the user name)

Open it with notepad or wordpad and change the entry:

WideViewAspect=False

to

WideViewAspect=True

If the line is not present, simply add it under the [DISPLAY} sub-heading

That's it, you will then see FSX displayed in a format more appropriate to your monitor.

it seems that the virtual cockpit of the twin otter is designed for a 0.40 zoom factor, while the default fsx aircraft are designed for values around 0.60-0.80. 

with a zoom factor of 0.40 you have all main instruments on screen on the default forward view (at least thats what i am experiencing at 1680*1050 on my 16:10 22" screen with widescreen enabled in fsx).

personally i prefer 0.50 zoom factor, but thats a matter of taste i guess. the depth reception changes a bit with different zoom factors but after getting used to it, it works pretty well.

it seems that the virtual cockpit of the twin otter is designed for a 0.40 zoom factor, while the default fsx aircraft are designed for values around 0.60-0.80. 

with a zoom factor of 0.40 you have all main instruments on screen on the default forward view (at least thats what i am experiencing at 1680*1050 on my 16:10 22" screen with widescreen enabled in fsx).

personally i prefer 0.50 zoom factor, but thats a matter of taste i guess. the depth reception changes a bit with different zoom factors but after getting used to it, it works pretty well.

These are unrelated issues as the widescreen factoring does NOT - let me repeat that NOT - change the default zoom, only the relationship between horizontal and vertical field of view (FOV) thus:-

If WideViewAspect=FALSE

Horizontal FOV = (34.0) / (zoom factor)

Vertical FOV = (Horizontal FOV) * (view height / view width)

If WideViewAspect=TRUE

Vertical FOV = (34.0) / (zoom factor)

Horizontal FOV = (Vertical FOV) * (view width / view height)

However, changing the relationship between a horizontal and vertical will have a derived effect on zoom, by virtue of the mathematical difference, but this setting does NOT change the zoom figure, only the resulting calculation of the screen image size.

Your comment is therefore erroneous as there is no such thing as a virtual cockpit designed for a particular zoom factor. The amount of screen real estate you have and the settings you choose for BOTH display resolution AND WideViewAspect impact on the visual presentation, and neither of these are factors that are designed in to the VC by default, because they are USER settings...

my posting was based on pure subjective non technical experience. spent much time flying with fs2004 and now with fsx i just noticed that the default VCs tend to need much less zooming out to have all main elements on screen with the default view while most add-ons wether they be free or payware tend to need a lower zoom factor.

also there is a factor that is designed into the aircraft, and that is the default camera position of VC :D

but i didnt wanted to cause any trouble :/

• 2 weeks later...

Hallo everyone,

This morning I did my first flight with the Twin Otter and was a little disturbed by the limited zoom-factor in the Virtual-cockpit-view. I now found this threat and changed the WideViewAspect in my FSX.cfg to True, as suggested. Somewhere else I have already read about this in some other context, and using a 24´´, 1920x1080 monitor, I was considering earlier to make this change.

Whatever the technical background is, it turned out to work perfectly for me :D ! I now have a much better view in the VC as before that change! That´s also true for all the other aircraft I have installed.

Thanks a lot for this good advise, mikfun!