A New Simulator (May edition)

Comments from others on that please? Keep in mind that we need to get NEW users in the sim as well and they will expect some ATC in the base sim.

Then the ATC level could be adjustable just like many other options in the sim menu are.

Basic level (similar to the present MFS level) and Advanced level (with realistic procedures).

What would help to make it more immersive?

Maybe some kind of simulated shaking animation of the image.

I remember something like that from many years ago when I was hit by a missile (?) playing 'Descent 2'.

Best regards,

Rafal

How about being able to 'rent' out scenery which is streamed to you on demand. I have previously bought huge areas of scenery and actually seen relatively little of the total area to date. If renting doesn't work for you, then what about a 'pay-by-the-mile' stream? Maybe being able to selectively keeping the areas that impressed you. Rates could be adjusted by quality. Fly high and cheep! Low and slow is extra due to the volume of data consumed. For this to work the subscription price would have to be realistic. I'd want to be able to put the sim to bed for a while without loosing any value from the subscription, so not time based.

Mathijs,

Great news to here that Aerosoft is “Taking the Bull by the horns” and looking into a new platform.

An improved ATC that allows for the proper use of SIDS and STARS instead of just vectoring aircraft here and there. To be straighter to the point An ATC that behaves like the real world.

I would also like to see a platform allows helicopters and VTOL aircraft behave as they do in the real world as opposed to the way FS9 & FSX handles them.

The biggest request I would have is that the platform be one that easily interfaces with flight hardware such as GoFlight, EnGravity, CPFlight, etc…

Just my thoughts.

What about a 'Tweak Central' where the sim could download suggested configurations. Your PC uploads it's hardware config and the sim self configures based on what you tell it your priorities are. Reversable of course.

Guest CFG278

here are some of my (unsorted) ideas for you:

- use of nvidia physix (for instance for simulation of moving forrests according to current wind conditions)

- built-in weather and ground radar

- AI airplanes create air movements like wake turbulences

- ATC is able to handle imported airac SID/STARS/AIRWAYS/GO-AROUNDS

- airports can be closed due to severe weather conditions or other incidents

- use of current NAT/PACOTS tracks

- weather engine should be able to simulate hurricanes

- no inflight refueling (if you run out of fuel you have to land)

- ATC is aware of surrounding area (no vectors into hills for instance)

- realistic night lighting of ground and buildings

- vapor effects for engines, wings ...

- ATC: simulation of RVSM (with changing flight levels for instance over france, spain, portugal) and also simulation of metric flight levels over russia, china ...

- realistic separation of AI airplanes

- you have to fill in alternate airports in your flight plan and ATC is able to use these alternates

- AI passengers and cabin crews with boarding, de-boarding, inflight activities

- virtual copilot with realistic work flows according to the selected airplane

- realistic aerodynamics of the airplanes (for instance they are able to spin correctly or the use of cross controlled rudder technics during cross wind conditions is a joy)

- AI: realistic take-off-behaviour of the airplanes (for instance climb out with a constant speed until passing 1500 feet above ground level and 250 kts below 10.000 feet)

- use of 77xx squawk codes

- deicing prior take-off due to icing conditions in winter is mandatory for take-off

- changing braking conditions according to current weather

- external power and bleed air support

- ATC: lower airport capacity due to foggy weather or blizzards or runways that have to be cleaned up due to snowfall

- simulation of st. elmo's fire

- heat effect behind the jet engines

just my 2 cents ;)

For me, a lot of what's missing is the subtle things that make an airport feel unique to those around it:

-Ability to fade markings/"age" the surfaces

-Sloping runways/taxiways, along with the interaction with surrounding terrain that makes some airports dicey if the winds pick up.

-Ability to choose the color patterns for markings around the field; Some have all enhanced markings, some a mix of regular and enhanced markings, and some just the original paint that came with the airport.

-Default T/regular hangars can open.

-Ability to create custom ground signs/taxiway signs, such as the airport name along a taxiway as seen at smaller fields, and taxi directions for Cat II/III operations at larger airports.

-Ramp hold short markings.

-Runway hold short markings that cover more than just the taxiway, but can be angled or include run-up areas as well.

-Better priority for runway markings

I'd like on screen controls (visable on demand sliders?) that in realtime, change the settings that currently are hidden in a menu system. Must be able to map to any hardware controls.

To ensure high quality addons it's necessary to set a standar in animations and functionality. I mean, full 3D cockpits, 2048x2048 resolution textures, interactive windows and doors (if applies), menu operated hangar doors and jetways (throw away that frequency operated jetways stuff).

What would help to make it more immersive?

Perhaps more piercing noises (tire screeching, spring crunching..) when a difficult landing or some bone-attached stuff in the VC physically simulated swinging and movement when hard maneuvering and landing. Ever played 18 wheels from SEGA?.

Improved collision detection: If you feel you can fly through the hanging cables of the Golden gate go ahead but it's annoying to crash like in midair.

High quality recording that can be replayed with addon audio for tutorials - commentary. Smoothly!

Built-in link to repository for the above.

Sim knows when a recording is available for the area / airfield and offers it up.

SID / STAR's in use .... watch them through first.

here are some of my (unsorted) ideas for you:

- AI passengers and cabin crews with boarding, de-boarding, inflight activities

- virtual copilot with realistic work flows according to the selected airplane

That would be incredibly awesome!

Leave out ATC: it is so much regional-dependant, you just cannot get that right. Instead provide a framework where online-networks like VATSIM can easily plug in.

Comments from others on that please? Keep in mind that we need to get NEW users in the sim as well and they will expect some ATC in the base sim.

I agree with this 100%

Try as hard as you will, you will never get better ATC than talking to a real person realtime.

I've never flown with default ATC in FS8 FS9 or FSX and never will.

As I've always flown online.

I can see your point about catering to the NEW simmer.

But we're trying to simulate Realworld operations. What better way than to have real people controlling you.

Cheers

Assuming there is an intention to employ the new trend of actual 3D cockpit gauges which are appearing in the FSX VCs (3d radio stacks, 3d bezels , needles , etc ) , could there be a provision to have a facility to place any of the available gauges (in the gauge folder ) in any position on any panel ?( that was feasible with the standard gauges , but it is not possible with 3d gauges in FSX ) . This way a user can set up his cockpit instrumentation any way he pleases

I go to a mapping site (multimap?) and generate a route (directions).

The sim grabs the route and tiles images from a mapping source.

The route can be flown VFR and / or I can import it into my gps enabled device which goes with me when I drive the route.

I don't tell ATC !!!

Yeah... nice comment, but its a bit like saying all games are 2d. What would help to make it more immersive? 7,1 sound? Force feedback sticks (useless in my opinion)? 3d vision?

Regarding Force Feedback, could I please put in a request for this. I would agree that Microsoft's implementation of force feedback is not great but the FSForce add-on created by Russ Dirks changed my opinion on that. It provides a far more realistic and pleasing method of setting aircraft trim than can be achieved without force feedback. You set your angle of attack with the joystick and then trim out the force until it's neutral in the position you were holding it in. This important aspect of using trim is lost without force feedback.

Regards and best wishes for the future of this project!

P.S. The Catalina is brilliant.

David

Hmmm, interesting thread, although there's a risk it will turn into yet another "FS11 wishlist". Anyway, here are my thoughts, a bit of a programmer's view.

FSX programming interface may be flawed in many places (Reverse polish notation in XML gauges, plethora of enums in SimConnect, hundreds of FSUIPC offsets) but there are good things there too. The whole hierarchical system of events which allows intercepting them, filtering, changing and resending them before they reach FSX itself is such an example. Another is the ability to directly draw gauges graphics using GDI, so you are fully in control of what the gauge shows and when. Microsoft is currently working on new GPU accelerated API for 2D graphics called Direct2D for Vista and 7, may be worth considering because current glass cockpits in FSX are real frame hogs.

The one very good thing in FSX SDK is that even a beginner can work with it, but it's very powerful, if one can use the more advanced features. Beginners can download and launch free gmax, write some simple scripts in XML without the need of compiler or almost any programming knowledge, and setup the aircraft in text configuration files, because there are simple presets for all systems (engine, flaps, hydraulics, electrics, autopilot). At the same time serious developers can make the models in expensive 3D software, and develop systems using the full potential of C/C++ programming language and FSUIPC or SimConnect interfaces. They can even replace the FM like Dodosim or engine and aircraft management like A2A with their own routines. Thanks to this we can have in Flight Simulator many nice simple freeware aircraft as well as full blown commercial addons with manuals that are over 1000 pages. 

So I think that's the way to go if you want to have many addons for your new sim. Provide a way for beginners and hobbyist to create addons easily and at lowest cost possible (freeware tools), make some generic predefined systems that are easily configurable that will be enough for "default cessna". At the same time, make the sim as open as possible, so that developers will be able to interact and directly affect all simulation aspects (controls, flight model, engines, systems, weather, graphics, etc). Don't waste time on modelling sophisticated systems (like FMC) on your own, focus on SDK that will allow 3rd party developers to do these systems for you :)

You mentioned making a vectored thrust aircraft. Well, it's possible now in FSX, but you'll have to replace big part of FM and engine management with your own. Same with planes that have more than 4 engines or have mixed jet / prop propulsion. Way too expensive. If we only had access to basics like the ability to interact with FM without screwing everything else things would be much easier. 

Everyone uses fsx in a different way. Some only fly military, others general aviation, or - my category- the tubeflyers. I spent hours as a kid - and I still could - watching platform operations at Schiphol.

And I realise this is still a huge part of my fun; Airports, and simulating everything on the platform before flight. A silly feature that captainsim offers - the loader that comes with the 757 - makes my day. Before I even start in the cockpit I am busy around the plane. (Once at cruise, on auto, it is boring.... start/landing and the airport enviroment is important)

Features like CS's loader, integrated in a product you already have inhouse: AES in the sim, would also greatly enhance the experience.

With addons like PMDG you can simulate birdstrikes... ATC, however, can't handle this. I don't now till what extend it's possible, but a more complex atc would be high on my list. (emergencies etc)

I was even thinking of something totally different -based on Blizzard's WoW, a sim that is more a mmorpg. Heavy online flying, with easy learning curve that graduately raises the bar (if that's how you wish to play a server for casual flying, one for more xp and one for hardcore or something)

Maybe I got a bit carried away now, forgive me, it's the idea you put out there that makes me go :)

Ps: Mathijs, you always mention you're cheap... Well so am I, so if exsisting addons could be ported in the new sim..... ( I have the cat, f16, airbus, pmdg and loads of others)

wow, guys, you'd like to go for the real big things....great!

My wishes (next to many, many others):

1) let this simulator be a community-simulator.

For sure you will develop the best that you can and you will work hand in hand with the most talented guys.

But I'm sure if FSX would be "OpenSource", many bugs would be erased by talented community members.

I don't say that you shouldn't take money for it, but I think to open the code after release will bring the possibility for many programing flight enthusiasts to make things better. And if it would be just small corrections.

Everybody could update every day if he likes...

But I'm no programmer and no publisher, so I don't if this is suicide for you ;-)

2) If you will go over the top, develop the earth game ;-)

It's an idea (better a dream) of mine, that I have since a few years:

There are people who like to sim with ships, there are people aho like to fly, some like to drive cars, some like to manage an airport.

Put all the sims together in one ;-))))

I know that is a big, big dream, but I'm sure this will become true one day...

Why not Aerosoft is starting this dream to become true in a basic way...?!

I dream about, that I have my girl fireind is playing with "Sims", and one of the Sims is driving to the airport, and I fly them to New York, where an other guy is driving this Sim in the tube... ;-)

dreams, dreams, dreams

Sorry for telling this dream, but all other things were already said.

3) Also community orientated: Object library

Develop a huge object library and a handy interface where every user can place easily an object where he wants.

For example: when I see outside a wind turbine, and I know the coordinates, I can place it in the Sim and everyone can update this.

Maybe the same could be done with houses, etc?

Wow, you guys raise great expectations....

Ciao Mathijs, ciao all,

i guess that tonight i'll have to argue with my whife trying to convince her that i'm not gone crazy all of a sudden just reading a post..

Just my cent :

a) online flights, since you have an active cooperation with IVAO, i'd think that a lot of users would love an integration between ivap and ibnet. Apon connection you specify also your ibnet server, so there will be no need to modify mtl's putting invisible planes (and hence when flying on IVAO not seeing people because you forgot to reinstall standard mtls), faster connections, possibility to fly with others just maybe switching ibnet server (for example different military groups that "meet" in the virtual sky and use different ibnet servers).

B) fsacars or something similar regarding automatic reports that could help virtual airlines

c) pilot and fo positions connectable via internet like maddog leonardo. Would be great for who does virtual schools, fly tornado or f14 (ME ME ME!!!!!), or want to be passengers :D

I'll stop, but i'll spread the word also on my website Volovirtuale and for sure there will be a lot of people glad to help.

Ciao!

Some of my thoughts, in no particular order:

1. MUCH improved rain and snow effects - unlike the current star trek warp drive effect

2. Cloud Shadows!!

3. I would LOVE to have the ability to render on screen (as "scenery" if need be) more than a single addon aircraft at a time - like inside my own personal hangar where I can check out my collection of ac, do walk arounds, hear the rain hitting the roof if it is raining, pick an ac, climb in, start her up, open the hangar doors, taxi out, close the hangar doors... you get the idea.

4. COMPLETE & SMOOTH viewing movement when outside the VC - no limits on zooming distances, include follow me mode etc - like a (much improved) DBS StudioWalk & Follow but built-in. This should also include live on-screen viewpoint coordinate editing (for both internal & external views) to easily fine tune any predefined viewpoint, ability to enable and disable any viewpoint using simple tick boxes, create new custom viewpoints and have the ability to SAVE THEM ON A PER AIRCRAFT BASIS. A RESET button for each aircraft's viewpoints would also be a good idea.

5. Built-in pop-up "guage" to read PDF's, Charts, flight plans, checklists, go online etc. Also built in media player to listen to some tunes, watch internet tv in flight etc. Would be muted if any com were active - a bit like when your cell rings in the car and it mutes the radio. I know some of these are already available as addons but this kind of stuff should really be built in.

6. Built-in HD video recording capability using non-proprietary file formats.

7. Night time lighting (at airport aprons for example) should light up any aircraft nearby. Always looks a bit odd when the tarmac below and around an ac is "lit up" but the ac standing in the same place is dark. Another way to say this is that artificial lighting should have the same effect on external ac models as the sun does.

EDIT: Just cleaned up and expanded on some entries.

Mathijs,

Yeah... nice comment, but its a bit like saying all games are 2d. What would help to make it more immersive? 7,1 sound? Force feedback sticks (useless in my opinion)? 3d vision?

Actually, please don't underestimate the importance of good force feedback implementation...I'll give you a perfect example: Have you used RealAir's superb Spitfire for FS2004/FSX? They characterize the stall buffet inherent to the Spit superbly with forcefeedback. Also, when done properly, there is a tactile feel difference between a big heavy steel-driven control surfaces aircraft and a "fly by wire" aircraft such as the F16. Just imagine: Being able to compare the tactile feeling of controlling a P3 Orion steering yoke versus an F16 stick for example...if done properly, it can be very effective and can give each aircraft a unique flying experience!

As for immersion - I still say my BEST flightsim experience was on FS2004 because of 3 essential "add-ons":

1. 3D (I know - this is more graphics adaptor dependant)

2. Head tracking (using the IR Pro for example)

3. Voice Recognition for common commands or talking to ATC/ ground control(using VoiceBuddy)

Trust me - when I seated seasoned flightsim enthusiasts in my rig they couldn't beleive how much more immersive the experience became with those add-ons! So while some of these are beyond the sim developer's control - please concentrate on the immersion factor wherever possible!

I also agree that damage modeling should be native to the sim.

FSX introduced sound sourcing (for example - a jet sounded different from the front as opposed to the rear) but this can be done much better and could add to realism/immersion.

Better rain/snow/hail/etc effects, especially on the wings and windshield.

Please consider including mission-based objectives - this for me added a new dimension and element of fun to the flightsim franchise.

Better prop/rotor start/stop animation, especially for helicopters!

Maybe introduce a selectable flight simulator realism factor...in other words, not every flight simmer wants to be able to interact with ATC or enter waypoints - they just want to hop in and fly and if there is a steep learning curve - they'll abondon the whole sim.

I agree with another poster - to maximize your potential audience - develop with weapon and damage capability! Make it a civilian and military simulation!

More later as I think about what dissapoints me most with FSX....

I don't know if I can compete with the flood of ideas....

I wonder if the REX team could design the weather engine? Perhaps A2A could do physical aircraft damage algorithms and such?

TONS of ideas here... I'm glad I don't have to sort through them :P

I cannot allow myself to get bogged down in the minutiae about `ATC this`, or `bird strike` that.

Instead I will say what I have said before - that no sim product can EVER be all things to all people.

It is simply not possible from a design or conception point-of-view, as the compromises and trade-offs necessary to achieve one objective in a `more realistic` manner will impact to the detriment of something else.

That is simply an acceptance of the way things are, and not a criticism.

But with that realisation accepted and positively encouraged, the new sim could look seriously at a fully modular construction philosophy, with elements delivered in a basic form in the Release Model (for the sake of argument we will call that level of initial complexity `Level One`), then capable of being upgraded to Level Two, or even Level Three or more by the acquisition and integration of these additional complex modules designed to plug into the basic operating package.

And here is where it gets clever: The developers of the Level One product could then spend more time in the heart of the package, mastering the base code and integration protocols, leaving the `weather specialists`, or the `aircraft specialists` or the `ATC developers` to carry on working on `their` elements, secure in the knowledge of a commercial future via the creation of a ready-market for their advanced products to supplement the original Level One... With a point of access early in the project, and with a commercial gain from being attached to it, you increase both the rapidity and complexity of the Level One product delivery, as it becomes an act of self-interest for any developer to be part of the project from inception, as they can provide the `hooks` that their own later Level Two product uses to integrate with the core product, thus reducing development time - and cost. This focusses the cloud man on cloud development and weather integration, not long-winded and interminable discussions about smoke stacks and whether trains should run on tracks for added `realism`.

For the simmer this would mean a product that could be individually tailored to the individuals specific wants and needs, but with a relatively simple expansion plan that could accommodate the disparate needs of the community, but always with `common ground` that ensures that troubleshooting remains a practical proposition, certain elements will always hook into other elements the same way, and that cross-correlation and integration of the innumerable addons would be a far easier process.

For the developer, this would mean that the `hooks` could be Open Source, but still protecting copyright and intellectual rights and allowing for development with a known integration structure for adding the resulting product to the sim.

For the publisher, the gain would be the lifespan and longevity of the base product, ensuring continuing sales for the Level One product long after it would normally have been superceded - so no more two or three year model life as with previous simulator incarnations. Imagine a business model in software with a TEN year cycle - you'd still be accruing profits long into the future, allowing for an extended ROI, so lessening Shelf Price - and so encouraging the development and sale of the `next level` product to take the basic package to the equivalent of the next generation, but without the hassle!

Indeed, one could envisage a marketing philosophy that actually renders not only the core Level One product, but also pre-configured additional versions for the `Airline Pilot`, the `Bush Flyer`, the `Cargo Hauler` and even the `Military Flyer` or the `SAR Specialist`, all of which refresh and re-invigorate the initial product, so re-energising sales and providing renewed PR focus all the way through the ten year cycle. In terms of shelf space, the product could dominate its market by the sheer proliferation of the versions, each of which would still be capable of being converted or patched to match any other version. Over the long term, you could actually engage the consumer at a multiplicity of levels, even to the extent that they might be the AirlinePilotBushFlyerCargoHaulerMilitaryFlyer Sim user...

As to how this is achieved, modularity is already industry-standard in Operating Systems, so simply use that, with no need to reinvent the wheel!