A New Simulator (May edition)

(Probably listed already):

- windshear

- mechanical turbulence on short final (besides normal turbulence)

- updrafts and downdrafts on short final

- weather not only based in METAR and TAF interpolation, but also in weather imagery and its predictions

-WX Radar that actually can see weather

-WX Radar that actually can see weather

Just my 2 cents. (WX Radar repeated on purpose) :D

Best wishes ;)

Yes ... realistic turbulence, including Wake Turbulence. Aircraft are constantly moving around on final approach ...

• Deputy Sheriffs

If these thoughts have already been noted, I'm voting for them. Getting through six pages of posts means I might have missed an earlier great idea. If not, please add them to "the pile":

Changing Settings "On the Fly" Many of the ideas about "imersion" such as rattles and squeeks, damage when ignoring limitations and dirty aircraft effects (throwing oil during flight) are already possible. The Do27 is a brilliant example. You can fly it simple or real. Not being a dev, though, I don't know how hard this is to code. Simplifying this in the SDK to encourage more devs to do this would be a benefit. However, something noted early on about changing things "on the fly" without having to reload the aircraft have real merit. For example, trading down shadow effects for frame rate when approaching a complex area that sends the frame rates to a slide show, and then moving them back up when you're past the complex scenery, is my vote.

ATC I'd love to see the ability to chose between something like VatSim and me controlling ATC. As for biggest ATC gripes, manually selecting the SID/STAR/DP and especially the approach in use is vital for me. I hate having to play with the winds and other factors, that sometimes require knowing the preferred runway model is annoying at least. The ability to select the items noted on a pick list would be one way to do this.

Physics I second the thought about this in post 171.

Flight Planner I heartily second the thought about this in post 173.

Nav Data The thoughts about integrating a data feed such as from Navigraph are excellent!

The Base Product Finally, a thought about how detailed the product should be "out of the box." I've seen earlier comments about whether there should be 10 or 20 highly detailed aiports or cities in the sim or the alternative of an almost all inclusive highly detailed sim. My thought there is that individual highly detailed airports are what add-on developers like Aerosoft are all about. I'm perfectly willing to pay extra for a high quality add-on, just as we do now. And speaking of cost, for something like you described in post 1, I'd be willing to pay 2x or perhaps even 3x the cost of FSX. After all it's faults and warts, it's still excellent value for the price.

Excellent!

What I'd really like to see:

AFCAD

• Have possibility to assign not only airline, but also destination airport or airport ranges to a gate. For instance, at LFPG (Paris CDG), it's not good enough to assign "AFR" to all gates at Terminals 2C, 2D, 2E and 2F. I want all flights to destinations starting with code "Kxxx" to go from Terminal 2E. Flights to destinations coded "EGxx" from 2E. And flight to "OLBA" from 2F. In other words: destination ICAO codes should be used, so that not only entry of one specific destination ("OLBA") is possible, but also of entire countries or continents ("EGxx", "Fxxx")
  • Have AFCAD understand that some runways can only be used from one side. For instance, at Lukla departures go TO the valley and arrivals come FROM the valley. Which means the departure and arrival runway headings are opposite. Today AFCAD (and ATC) do not allow that
  • Have possibility to "reserve" arrival gate or range of arrival gates at destination airport already before departure. For instance, when flying LFPG-OLBA on Air France, I want to make sure I get Gate 23 when I arrive. Or: when flying from EGLL to EDDM, I want to arrive at Terminal 2 in EDDM. AFCAD/ATC should reserve one gate with the right size at EDDM Terminal 2 for me.
  • Size of gates: do not only maximum size of aircraft, but also minimum size. For instance, it's OK to have gates at Terminal B sized large enough for 747s. But then, I do not want any planes smaller than A330 to use these gates. It looks silly to have a Dash8 parked in the middle of heavies at a Terminal used only for heavies.
  • Have AI traffic take off from several runway entries. Smaller planes should not require the whole runway length
  • Have AI planes distributed to all available departure runways evenly. Today, only the closest runway gets chosen
  • Allow for free selection of runways without creating "Virtual runways" like today.
  • Allow for one-way taxiways

ATC

• SIDs and STARs should be updateable by some download every month and correspond to the latest AIRAC
  • Differentiate transition altitude by airport, not the standard "18'000" everywhere.
  • Have a possibility to ask ATC for current barometer setting.
  • Have an explicit possibility to "recommence an interrupted flightplan". I.e., today when I am flying KJFK-EGLL and I do not confirm a handover, the flightplan is closed with ATC. If I want to take it up again in flight, I have to re-load it and hope that ATC doesn't assigne me a heading that sends me back to the original departure airport. I would like a possibility to continue that "closed" flightplan.
  • If at all possible, have ATC take into consideration terrain. It doesn't make much sense being assigned approach vectors that make me go through a mountain.
  • Have ATC assign speed
  • Allow for ATC to work in meters and kilometers/hour over those countries that use it (e.g. Russia)
  • Have ATC with regional accents
  • Have ATC guide me around rough weather or turbulence zones
  • Use position reporting where it is realistic (parts of Africa without radar coverage)
  • Have background radio chatter in regional language in areas where this is the majority of ATC (South America Spanish, Brazil Portuguese, France French, RUssia Russian, etc.)
  • Have possibility to communicate with ATC using a microphone, not only my keyboard
  • Basically, take the guys from RadarNavigation on board. Their ATC has almost everything I wish for, it is only lacking the possibility to add and edit airline names

That's all I can think of right now ;-)

Complex Air Movements:

Since air is the medium through which aicraft fly, I think a better simulation of it is due. The sim could import basic wind speed data from Winds Aloft, but then factor in the effects of terrain: turbulence and downslope winds on the leeward side of a ridge, venturi effect in valleys, possibly even interactions with Orographic and Solar lift. It would really make you think about how to conduct you backcountry flights, as in the real world!

Different "Modes":

In the interest of maximizing frame rates, let the user select a mode for the type of flying to be conducted, which would turn off some features and boost up others as needed. For instance, "Airline Mode" would add all of the complexities of a large airport but tone down the wind/terrain interactions not necessary for high-altitude flight. "GA Mode" would focus on small airport enhancements and low-level wind effects.

Failures:

This has been mentioned, and I think it's a great idea! Expand on the failures: stuck gear, alternator failures, electrical fires, carb ice, radio failures, etc. would bump up the realism a lot!

Wake Turbulence and Jet/Prop Wash!!!

'Nuff said

Visual Things:

Real-looking light and visibility effects! Take a look at Windward Mark technology, this is what a flight sim should look like!

Point-style night lighting, Ultimate Terrain style.

Heat blur from jet exhaust

I look forward to seeing how this turns out!

Comments from others on that please? Keep in mind that we need to get NEW users in the sim as well and they will expect some ATC in the base sim.

On the other hand I seriously LOVE the idea idea of making this a sim that depends a lot on online things. For example I would like it a lot if the sim would offer me a few options in scenery (freeware or commercial) when I insert a flight plan. So when I plot EHAM to EDDF a server would tell me I could download a nice EDDF for free while I an enroute. Technically this is not too complex, we can insert scenery while the sim runs right now.

Mathijs,

I get what you mean, but in my opinion an embedded ATC is an absolute must. I know there's a lot to say about online flying and online ATC, but it has two major shortcommings that are solved by an AI variant that's embedded in the simulator:

- You never ever can get a true global coverage at any time of the day. You simply can not rely on getting ATC services at the less populated areas of the globe.

- The quality of the ATC instructions is varying a lot.

Basically I believe people should get a choice in choosing either embedded ATC or online ATC.

I understand that an embedded ATC is a complex thing to build, however I do hope you can make one that's a little bit better that the current FS9/FSX one. I does not have to be a complete ATC simulation, but half-way current FS9/FSX and Radar Contactv4 would be perfect!

Regards,

Frank

Okay i will be quick and simple as possible, and avoid tot talk about what i think everyone will do...

+1 A new simulator should have the human side as well (like in any ordinary game) Even if airport buildings would not be too high modeled inside... we should be able to control your own pilot character and walk from your office, inspect your aircraft outside, enter it's doors and finally the cockpit (clicking on the chair would change to the standard view for instance) where you actually will simulate the heart of the sim. It will add an human reality to the nowadays machines flying without souls. (this will add a new level to flight sim world and create a future in the add-on industry.

+2 ATC needs serious AI increase! specially when using taxiways and when giving clearance for landing and take off. i could be more specific but these are the basics.

+3 if you are a pilot then you work for an airline! Ability to create an airline, it's schedules that will be available to flight on pre-set times, financial, statistics, disasters history e.t.c..

Then you will not just be opening your flight simulator and thinking where in the end of the world will you be flying to. Pre selected rules will be followed just like in real life.

+4 Less important but still interesting... Ability for the user BE the ATC controller.... and control the AI Traffic... using the local airports airways, sid-stars, giving or not clearance as ai atc does.

A future Flight Simulator needs life.

Thank you, i hope this helps you to become hungry about it ;)

Hi everyone,

I'll keep this short okay.

Flight dynamics! As said already, "I must feel as though I'm flying a Cessnar 172, or big 747". The way it feels when you are flying is the most important thing there is. The rest is just eye candy.

Now, I've read more than once here that people want satalite scenery. Please, please, please, don't use this! Don't use anything that would rely on real world stuff. The satalite system will NOT be up there forever. One day it will all fail, and whatever relies on it will stop working.

There, that's my lot. Apart from to say, well done Aerosoft, I hope you can develop a sim far superior to MS. Good luck guys. :)

I've read through most of the above posts, but I did not see the following:

- Realistic failure mode (engine troubles, loss of systems, etc etc)

- Include the poles! I would love to cross the North- or South Pole.

- Make it possible to make a walk-around before getting on board.

- Include a briefingroom where you prepare the flight and get weather info and notams

- Include a good flightschool

- Include possibility to make screenshots or in-flight video's (save as avi or wmv?)

- Include a fuel calculator for each aircraft type.

- Include a good and realistic glider simulation, complete with a winch launch.

Regards,

Frank

Two comments:

1. Consider using OpenStreetMap like world wide database for scenery (roads, buildings, POI)

2. Dont forget cockpit builders community

Leon

WOW!!!

cant wait, but dont rush it. I realise that this is partly new ground for aerosoft so take every thing into account and take your time and make it really hard to beat!!!!!!!!

woooooooooooooo!!!

waiting with bated breath!!! LOL

Now, I've read more than once here that people want satalite scenery. Please, please, please, don't use this! Don't use anything that would rely on real world stuff. The satalite system will NOT be up there forever. One day it will all fail, and whatever relies on it will stop working.

IT's the only realistic way to do VFR Navigation, but the idea is to "Stream down" from the internet the necesary area relating to the Flight Plan.

I mean, Low level flight needs Realism, there can be no escape from that, surely. How to achieve this is up for discussion......

- realistic piston engine simulation for starting behaviour and mixture leaning, plug fouling etc.

- navaid database including intersections that can be updated manually with an editor and via a full AIRAC update

- realistic behaviour of floatplanes on the water, concerning water drag, on the step behaviour, nice spray effects...

- more realistic taxi behaviour concerning wheel drag on paved or grass surfaces

- sound behaviour of props not synchro-phased on twins

- light thermal turbulence in summer

- different touch-down sounds depending on touch-down vertical speed

- "thump" sounds when taxiing on a concrete with uneven surface

- VASI and PAPI lights that change more gradual, looks more real to have dark pink over light pink than red over white

- Taxiways and aprons on small european airports according to at least Jeppesen Bottlang database, better even national database

- built-in capability for three projectors in a spheric OTW projection

- Realistic appearance of the propeller when seen from the VC, i.e. hardly visible at all

- all cockpit functions can be assigned a button-press, axis or key-press, for easy home cockpit building

Cheers

Thomas

Okay, so I don't have time to read every post in this thread. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, here are my thoughts:

I always considered the Flight Simulator series to be a base on top of which simulations are built. The default planes were never that good, the scenery decent, etc. With FSX, I think that the base package has more to offer to beginners. But what really made the FS series was how open it was to add-on development. I believe that what any hypothetical Aerosoft simulator should do is provide a better base for new add-ons. Consider how many add-ons contain push-back panels and the like. It would be nice if this was standardized, making the jobs of add-on developers easier.

That aside, here are some more points I think could be addressed:

-If all of these hypothetical features are added to the game, the frame rate hit would likely be astronomical. It would be great if there were optomizations to make the sim faster. For example, if the user's plane is on one side of the terminal, the other side is not textured unless the user is in a mode that allows them to see it. Such optomizations should be able to be turned off at will, so that those with faster systems can take advantage of their processing power. Even better, make the simulator automatically make the decision based on hardware, and allow the user to expiriment.

-The simulator needs more feedback. For example, it can be hard to even notice turbulence in FS series games.

-It should be very open to third party add-ons. Perhaps you could impliment an "app-store" style approach, where users can search using various methods to find add-ons, which they can then purchase in-game and download and install on the spot. This could also offer an additional stream for revenue: you could charge a small fee per download. I'm sure the developers wouldn't mind, especially since said small fee would help make the platform they are developing possible.

-While I believe there should be boxed versions in stores, they should not be for existing users. Instead, the client should be updated by download. Additional revenue could be generated through unobtrusive advertisements placed in the client. With the amount of users you should have, this would be a tremendous source of revenue.

-Design the simulator so that the user can hone in on what part of aviation they enjoy most and get the most out of. For example, GA fliers could start out at their FBO or hangar and go from there. Tube-fliers could do a go-around, communicate with FAs, etc. I'm not saying that you should offer everything on all the default aircraft, just the engine to make this easy.

-Wiki-style scenery. Users could optionally load scenery that other users have contributed on-the-fly (no pun intended). This could be done by making a scenery editor available with standard objects that can easily be placed by those who know the area. Quality add-on scenery makers would still thrive because of the quality of their add-ons.

-Cater to both the begginer and the expert. Have pre-defined settings for those who have never used the sim before, casual fliers, and those who know their stuff.

That's it for now. I wish Aerosoft good luck in their efforts.

Flight Enviroment

I think that the best way to simulate the world enviroment in a simulator, must be to actually simulate the worlds own different "systems". The scientific rules that run the world such as gravitation, how gas and fluids operate at different preshure, what happens when you drag an object on top of another. Heat, friction? How does it sound?

What happens when you light an object, how the shadows and reflections will appear (even on sceneryobjects and aircrafts) and if the material is transparent, how the light will run thru and throw its own shadows.

How do the air react when it is blowing from the ocean up on the sunheated hill and collide with the already heated air?

Generaly try to locate and then if possible (I have no clue about programming!) simulate the worlds enviroment with the scientific base rules as it is!

Opportunities

I think too that you NOT should specialize the simulator from the beginning, but only make the most basic needs, such as a good ATC and ofcorse a good world:). I think you should concentrate very much in making a lot of opportunities so the community can edit, remove and add almost evrything to the enviroment.

Sorry for my "Daenglish";)

Thanks Victor

1) Damage and crashing ( I resent MS dictating morality to me)

2) Better weather, clouds, shadow of clouds.

3) German accent and German Language included: BOTH! yes special consideration to German and English. This is German company and I expect no less for a country of 80 million. Other accents as well.

1) take some of the add ons from fsx like f-16 and piper cherokee.

2) simulated guns and missiles

3)better 3d animations than fsx.

4) more sceneries to norway.

Some things I'd like in a new flight simulator:

- Damage Model, I don't like seeing CRASH and having to reload the flight just because I taxied close to a building. It would be much better if there was gradual damage, anything from a minor bump (which would cause no damage) up to losing entire parts of the airplane.

- Improved Physics, especially in the low airspeed and high alpha department. Currently, airplanes and helicopters flip out when either slowing past a certain airspeed or pulling a high alpha turn.

- Thrust Vectoring, this is self explanatory. An accurate VTOL simulation for once, perhaps thrust vectoring will be defined in the aircraft.cfg as follows:

Thrust_Vectoring=

A value of 0 will mean no thrust vectoring.

A value of 1 will mean 2D thrust vectoring. This is linked to the aileron and elevator controls.

A value of 2 will mean 3D thrust vectoring. This is linked to the aileron, elevator and rudder controls.

A value of 3 will mean VTOL thrust vectoring. Linked to the flaps control, or a separate keystroke allowing you to tilt the rotors or nozzles.

I'm registered about 3 months and I have never posted before.

I wish that the "new sim" had:

1) It had a converter for FS aircraft (Even for FS2000 aircraft).

2) Flight model engine that uses every part of the plane (Like X-Plane).

3) Career mode is a nice idea.

4) Crash modeling.

5) Reasonable FPS and performance even with slower PCs.

6) Any OS compatibility.

7) Photo-panels.

8) Many Red Bull air races.

9) Cirrus SR22 G3, Cirrus Vision, A380, B787, and a fun chopper.

10) That famous .dll file that is called FSUIPC.

Great discussion and exciting ideas.

The thing I am really missing in FSX is an FS Navigator type flight planner-moving map.

This should have click and drag functionality for waypoints and the option to lock your autopilot to the flight plan.

Good luck on this great endevour.

Hello Aerosoft Team, great news!!

1 - Simulation of VOR, ILS, ADF stations failure so that we can a have simulated NOTAM.

2 - Flight Planner within the simulator. Would be wonderful to have something like the Jeppesen Flite Pro´s internal Flight Planner

3 - AIRAC update engine. We can update the NAVDATA within X-Plane. You sell it, I will buy.

4 - World Maker - This way would be really fast and easy to correct airport scenery using up to date Airport Diagrams

5 - Garmin and Reality-XP providing default GNS430, GNS480 and G1000.

6 - Piper Seminole ,Cheyene, Diamond D-40, Pilatus PC-12, Cessna 182 RG, Cessna 441 as part of the default airplanes.

7 - Photoreal Scenery. This generic thing is over long ago. There is no sense any more.

8 - Slope Clouds

9 - 3D clouds

10 - Total Participation of the flight simulation industry, aming to develop the greatest Flight Simulator ever created.

Every add-on developers could "donate" an add-on for the NextGen Flight Simulator: Aerosoft+DreamFleet+Flight1+PMDG+

Reality-XP+Real Air+Captaim Sim+Wilco+Radar Contact+...This way you and the other developres would have the chance to show to

the average user how great the possibilities are in terms of flight simulation add-ons.

Most MSFS and X-Plane users fly only default sceney and aircraft and have no idea about the huge world of the PC flight simulation

So, put all these logos on the simulator´s box...

11 - Link the user to the developer´s websites trought the registration within the simulator.

When the user register the simulator he will have access to a private website ( I will think about this ) area and forums.

12 - When searching for the desired airport, the "Go to Airport" screen should contain the airport preview with a real airport picture, aiming

to help the familiarization with the area.

Regards,

Rod.

We Want better looking waves ??, we want flowers ??

COME ON GUYS

Do REAL SIMULATORS have this ???

First we need code written that will take full advantage of todays MULTICORE CPU's and GPU's.

(sorry) but it really sucks knowing that only a small portion of my top shelf i7 CPU is being used when simming.

Primary objective is a REALISTIC SIM (not a GAME) with REAL FLIGHT DYNAMICS.

All the pretty stuff can be added later if needed.

Aerosoft & Co need to get a BASIC but PROFFESIONAL SIMULATOR up for sale ASAP.

Then with the income generated continue to develop addon modules that will turn it into a giant.

Cheer, Rick