San Francisco Spikes

rvc

I am getting this conditiion with the new San Francisco X scenery. I have read the suggested fixes such as modifying the BufferPools entry in fsx.cfg which I have done. I looked for the boot.ini file doing a search and only found boot.Bak, I can't find a boot.ini file so I cannot make the line edit of "3GB/Userva=2560" so how do I go about getting rid of the building spikes. I had the same probem with the Manhattan X scenery but deleting the BufferPools entry corrected it but I can't get rid of it with the San Francisco scenery. What do I do next? Thank you.

These are my specs:

Dell XPS 700

Intel Core2 Duo processor

w/DualCore technology w/2MB cache

4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz

20” Wide Digital Flat Display monitor

512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX video card

250GB hard drive

1 TB hard drive

I am getting this conditiion with the new San Francisco X scenery. I have read the suggested fixes such as modifying the BufferPools entry in fsx.cfg which I have done. I looked for the boot.ini file doing a search and only found boot.Bak, I can't find a boot.ini file so I cannot make the line edit of "3GB/Userva=2560" so how do I go about getting rid of the building spikes. I had the same probem with the Manhattan X scenery but deleting the BufferPools entry corrected it but I can't get rid of it with the San Francisco scenery. What do I do next? Thank you.

These are my specs:

Dell XPS 700

Intel Core2 Duo processor

w/DualCore technology w/2MB cache

4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz

20" Wide Digital Flat Display monitor

512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX video card

250GB hard drive

1 TB hard drive

Well,TOOLS menu,then the bottom for folder options. There you can set: Show hidden files and folders.

Then your boot.ini file will be at your system drive root.

Lowering Bufferpools poolsize certainly can help, but you might need to lower Autogen and / or traffic settings too.

Finn

Thanks for the reply, I already have "Show hidden files and folders" checked there and the only entry in the system drive is "boot.bak", not the .ini

Well,TOOLS menu,then the bottom for folder options. There you can set: Show hidden files and folders.

Then your boot.ini file will be at your system drive root.

Actually I have completely deleted the "BufferPool" entry in fsx.cfg I didn't just lower the number, should I have left it there with no numbers or doesn't it matter?

Lowering Bufferpools poolsize certainly can help, but you might need to lower Autogen and / or traffic settings too.

Finn

Without the Bufferpool entry You shouldn´t have problems other than overloading Your graphics card.

Only solution is to cut down on some of the display settings, like Autogen, Traffic etc.

When overloading Your graphicscard, You might still see acceptable FPS, but graphical artifacts will start to appear like the ones You describe.

Finn

Having the same problem with Frisco!!!

I can't even fly it with lower settings and a very fps friendly little aircraft.

And my PC is a high-end one, namely 4 Gb of Ram with a nVidia 8800 GTX 768 Mb Ram.

Don't even find the boot.ini file at all nor boot.bak for that matter.

Hello Bernabie,

Its explained on this forum thread here how to find the boot.ini also mentions the Bufferpools and spikes, I so got rid of my bufferpools as I have the same card as you and got spikes till I removed the entry.

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for the info Shaun!

Found the Boot.ini now and changed it, but don't have a bufferpool's section in my FSX.cfg file.

Will see another day what the change only in the Boot.ini will do.

Hoping on the best.

Well, decided to give it a quicker test and it was most promising, as I could leave my Global texture setting to the max with the same aircraft I before was even unable to take off from Frisco international airport.

Now I notice an fps that even went to a 20, but occasional drops below 10 to mostly just 10 or a bit above. So changing the boot.ini file clearly helped a lot with this scenery and I suppose it to be the same for Manhatten X when I will test that one out, or probably other scenery already installed for quite some time in improving them as well.

So couldn't resist to show some pics of the test. Had a bit more if the fraps key would have kept working that is.

azywzjdkyd2jivdm4wnk.jpg

mmzxynjztriytnaymmt3.jpg

yg5qim2imzy1oxmwz2w5.jpg

ntzzw35l3dcqohz0mein.jpg

zhm4iwz4mnumzvtntujk.jpg

This is a city view in FSX completely to my liking. Perfect order and no chaos, then perfectly placed buildings.

So keep it coming Aerosoft. Keep up the good work!! ;):)

Yeah..

These sceneries (San Fransisco and Manhattan) is really god to finout wether Your installment of FSX is properly tweaked or not.

I have made the 3GB switch myself.

Buffer poolsize is set to:

[bufferPools]

PoolSize=50000000

For multicore processors set:

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=15 (4 cores) or 3 (2 cores)

Setting it to 7 will only use 3 cores, leaving one for other tasks.

The biggest improvement regarding smoothness was disabling Hyperthreading in my BIOS, since FSX get 'confused by the virtual cores used under HT.

Finn

Hi Finn,

I suppose that you have to put bufferpools and Jobscheduler yourself into the FSX.cfg file because I have neither one of them in that file. And if so, then where it is best placed in the FSX.cfg file?

Mine is a Dell Dimension 9200 quad core PC with the nvidia 880 GTX single 768 Mb graphics card.

Thanks for the help in this as well if it would ameliorate things even more hopefully.

Bernadette

Hi Finn,

I suppose that you have to put bufferpools and Jobscheduler yourself into the FSX.cfg file because I have neither one of them in that file. And if so, then where it is best placed in the FSX.cfg file?

Mine is a Dell Dimension 9200 quad core PC with the nvidia 880 GTX single 768 Mb graphics card.

Thanks for the help in this as well if it would ameliorate things even more hopefully.

Bernadette

Simply put the entries at the end of the FSX.cfg file.

And as Shaun says, if You have problems with the spikes when Bufferpools are set, simply remove the entry for it.

Finn

What I would like to know is why do I not have a boot.ini in my FSX folder, as I said I have a boot.bak but not the .ini file? I would like to make the change to that file but cannot find it.

Sorry for the error I indicated it was not in the FSX when I should have said C:\ drive. Again, my problem is I do not have the boot.ini in the C:\ drive instead I have a boot.bak entry, this is what I don't understand.

What I would like to know is why do I not have a boot.ini in my FSX folder, as I said I have a boot.bak but not the .ini file? I would like to make the change to that file but cannot find it.

RVC, Shaun has a post, its the 8th post down from the top, that has the word 'Here' underlined in the post. Its a link, if you click on that word it will take you to a page that explains how to do all of that.

If you don't understand what the page is saying, holler, I'm sure somebody here will explain it better.

RVC, Shaun has a post, its the 8th post down from the top, that has the word 'Here' underlined in the post. Its a link, if you click on that word it will take you to a page that explains how to do all of that.

If you don't understand what the page is saying, holler, I'm sure somebody here will explain it better.

I appear to have a mental block regarding this issue. The 8th post of Shaun's suggests the following for graphic problems like spikes, I have XP SP3:

"For XP:

disable hidden files and folder, then on the root C:\ you will find a file named: boot.ini

Open it in notepad and add the following to the end of the OS boot line:

/3GB/Userva=2560

EXAMPLE LINE EDIT:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professsional" /fastdetect /3GB /Userva=2560 <---- add it here

save and close the file

reboot

to set that back to default, simply remove the edit

If you are using XP SP2 and are running a dual, quad, OR a single core Intel HYPERTHREAD processor, make sure this update is applied

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

XP SP3 users do not need that update"

I have disabled hidden files and folders, I went into the C:\ drive and there is no boot.ini file there, but a boot.bak file, That is what I don't understand, where am I going wrong here and where is the boot.ini file. I did a search and if could not be found? Thanks.

I googled 'sp3 boot.ini', maybe this link will help you.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-...sp3-32-bit.html

If all else fails, you can always rename boot.bak to boot.ini and add what you need to it. It is a backup file.

Sorry, I can't help you any I don't have xp with sp3. If you keep searching, I sure you will run into it sooner or later.

I googled 'sp3 boot.ini', maybe this link will help you.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-...sp3-32-bit.html

If all else fails, you can always rename boot.bak to boot.ini and add what you need to it. It is a backup file.

Sorry, I can't help you any I don't have xp with sp3. If you keep searching, I sure you will run into it sooner or later.

Thank you very much for your help, when I opened the boot.bak file it contains an entry different then what was suggested and I have no idea what I would be doing if I changed it by adding the necessary entry. I don't know what the "NoExecute=OptOut" means. The boot.bak has this entry:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut

I think I would best for me to just leave it alone and delete the scenery I am just not that computer savey to fool with it, but thanks again for your effort.