Avsim Hacked

Kosta

If Aerosoft would forgive this lack of civility, because some (bleep) son of a (bleep) thinks it is fun. :angry:

Freeware for a community is in my view (sacred), and I hope the hacker gets some justice soon.

All the hard work and effort, and some jerk thinks it is an accomplishment, or perhaps entertainment.

Rot in hell you looser. :angry:

Wow, I am totally speechless! Makes one realise just how important a resource avsim really is!

In the last few days there was some pretty heated debate going on with regards to an apparent breach of security by one of the avsim library developers - a lot of you (myself included) would have received a spam email advertising PMDG's MD-11 a couple of days ago. I wonder if this may be related?

Yep, got it too, twice in fact, both came from first class simulations. I wonder too. I don't pay much attention to spam though... one click and its byebye.

I hope that the AVSIM management take this very serious crime up with the FBI. I fail to see what is to be gained by the hacker destroying AVSIM. It was a website for aviation enthusiasts, not a top-secret Pentagon database! If the moronic lowlife or lowlife's who did this reads this post, you are the scum of the earth and I hope that you are found, arrested, fined an enormous amount and jailed for a bloody long time. There is no glory to be had through your actions. Society is far better off without losers like you. Here's hoping a power surge blows up every microchip you own. :mad:

Yep, got it too, twice in fact, both came from first class simulations. I wonder too. I don't pay much attention to spam though... one click and its byebye.

Normally I do not either but this was the first spam EVER which was for something I was interested in. This fact is what made it stand out and is what started the whole shouting match on the avsim forum before it all went south.

What is the kick that people get by doing this?

Avsim is very important to us simmers because you can learn a lot by just reading the questions that people have.

If I have a problem then I always go to Avsim and in 90% of the cases my problem is solved.

Lets hope that they can solve the problem and also hope that those hackers will be caught and punished.

Nico de Graaff

That indeed is bad news. :angry: I wonder how good the backup of AVsim is, a lot of companies and FS enthusiast depend on their site/forum/library. Personally I had quite some paintwork on there :( I hope they're able to restore it to it's original state. On simflight.com I read this:

Tom now writes ".... We have set up a temporary forum in order that we can provide status reports on our efforts to bring AVSIM back online. I would very much appreciate it if you could post the link to our temporary home and help us get the word out.

Here is the link: http://linux.myalbemarle.org/forums/index.php .....".

hey,

that´s really shocking. :mad:

hopefully the "flightSim"- guys put up an extra firewall to secure their data.

best wished to the avsim people!!

sören

I'M also shocked to get this news today, its really unbelievable that someone would do something like this, but there are some really evil people out there in the world, there's was a huge amount of work and information that was stored on avsim :( and many stored from many years ago. it is honestly extremely strange and odd to go online everyday and not be able to log into avsim or even see the front page.

What kind of douche bag hacks a site dedicated to freeware?

On a side note, what kind of douche bag actually takes time out of their day to hack in general?

Some people seriously lack self-esteem.

One BIG thing that doesn't add up here: nobody has yet claimed responsibility. That is unlike any other hacking case I have seen before. They ALWAYS claim it, regardless of their style or agenda.

You have to wonder if it was someone with a specific grudge against Avsim. If it was a company I would have thought a former employee would be the main suspect. The attack, if I undestand the circumstances correctly, sounded perfectly timed to when the site and server backups were most vulnerable. Which would point to someone who has inside knowledge of how and when the site was maintained.

Absolutely gutted. These hackers need to be strung up by the short and curlys, they really do. I had three pages of uploads on AVSIM, repaints, afcad files, you name it, all gone. Very sad indeed. I'm just glad i have some of those files spread out on other download sites as well, like the Otter Yeti repaint fix. :angry:

From what i've been reading it loooks very much like an inside job as well which makes it even harder to take. Just proves you can't trust anyone

From what I read on another site, they have strong suspicions about who did this, and plan to have their hard drives analyzed by forensic investigators to prove their suspicions. Hopefully, they have good backups somewhere offsite.