Sp2 / Acceleration Requirement

mackayw

I was installing the new FSX Catalina, and just before the last button I got a notice that "If you do not have either SP2 or Acceleration installed - GET OUT NOW". I use FSX SP1 by choice, and have no problems with any other native FSX airplanes (I have a lot of them). But - I can't ignore a warning like that! OK, so I'll manually install to a temporary folder and then distribute the PBY, and see what it looks like. BUT - the installer will NOT allow me to install to any other folder other than into the FSX root folder (but then I'll get the warning not to install without SP2 or Acceleration). I did not see any advisory not to buy the PBY if I used SP1 (perhaps I missed something?). So what will happen if I do install the PBY into FSX SP1? Will it harm my SP1 FSX? Will the PBY just not have some features like bump mapping? Will I not have any glass textures? Why the warning?

Please advise. At the minute I have a PBY that I dare not install.

Bill

I had the same question and posted it on a now closed thread. Mathijs replied that it should work OK in SP1, but that there may be memory problems and it would run slower. I haven't purchased the Cat yet and was waiting to see if anyone else using SP1 had any problems. I wonder if there might not be a problem with missing guages. I remember reading that some SP1 users had a problem with missing guages in the Cheyenne, as the guages were part of SP2. Anyway, I doubt if installing it will harm your FSX install, as you can always uninstall it. I'd give it a shot. I'd do it, except the Cat is a lot of money to me right now, and I don't want to spend that much and be disappointed. Like you, I have my reasons for not installing SP2 in my current FSX install. I'd be very interested to hear how it works out for you...

Richie

I had the same question and posted it on a now closed thread. Mathijs replied that it should work OK in SP1, but that there may be memory problems and it would run slower. I haven't purchased the Cat yet and was waiting to see if anyone else using SP1 had any problems. I wonder if there might not be a problem with missing guages. I remember reading that some SP1 users had a problem with missing guages in the Cheyenne, as the guages were part of SP2. Anyway, I doubt if installing it will harm your FSX install, as you can always uninstall it. I'd give it a shot. I'd do it, except the Cat is a lot of money to me right now, and I don't want to spend that much and be disappointed. Like you, I have my reasons for not installing SP2 in my current FSX install. I'd be very interested to hear how it works out for you...

Richie

Being the developer of the xml gauges on the Catalina I see no reason why it shouldn´t run on FSX SP1.

As Mathijs said, it will probably run slower and some graphical issues might arise.

But we cannot give support for SP1 issues though, cause it has never been tested for that.

The product page says:

System requirements:

Microsoft Flight Simulator X (SP2 or Acceleration)

Best

Finn

My guess is that you might run into a few problems with the alpha channels on the window glass and prop textures, since this is one of the places where there are major changes in the sim engine between SP1 and SP2. But it should be possible to edit those alpha channels in a way so that they work OK under SP1 (it certainly IS possible to edit older alpha channels to work under SP2).

Best regards

Kim Dahl

Hallo,

when I installed the Cat on FSX SP1 + SP2 (Win 7 (7000)) it caused "major mall function", wenn I coose the plane or the mission (in the breefing).

then I deinstalled the SP2 and everything was OK

so I tried to install SP2 again, but there was the same result as in the beginning (no result)

as an hint I can say "on my system the Cat "walks" wiht SP1 and without SP2" at this moment so far.

Best regards

Peter Erdmann

I did go ahead and install the Catalina into my FSX SP1 system (in spite of the installer warning not to do so). I have a perfect Catalina in SP1. The warning is totally unnecessary!

• Aerosoft
Hallo,

when I installed the Cat on FSX SP1 + SP2 (Win 7 (7000)) it caused "major mall function", wenn I coose the plane or the mission (in the breefing).

then I deinstalled the SP2 and everything was OK

so I tried to install SP2 again, but there was the same result as in the beginning (no result)

as an hint I can say "on my system the Cat "walks" wiht SP1 and without SP2" at this moment so far.

Best regards

Peter Erdmann

Check out this: http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?s=...st&p=158982

• Aerosoft
I did go ahead and install the Catalina into my FSX SP1 system (in spite of the installer warning not to do so). I have a perfect Catalina in SP1. The warning is totally unnecessary!

No it's not as we can't guarantee the product on that platform.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm happy to report that I have the Cat installed on my FSX/SP1 rig, and that it works perfectly with no issues so far. It's not that slow on my rig which I have locked at 30FPS. The Cat runs at about 24FPS over urban areas and locks at 30 over open water... Great airplane! :)