Something I Thought Impossible In A Catalina

Paul K

Who would have thought you could do this ? Part of a rescue mission. :)

Rescue-17%20(2).jpg

The caption reads: Lt. B. W. Dunlop USN landed on the ice cap to deliver a dogsled party to travel to B-17 - PNPE

and get the remaining three survivors out.

Valtteri, care to elaborate ? :)

Was the hull strengthened so it could bear all its weight on the keel, or was it something they knew could be done anyway, as long as it was a gentle touchdown ?

Okay its on the Arctic icepack, and there may well have been a layer of snow to cushion and lubricate its passage across the ice, but I've never heard of a flying boat doing that, let alone see a photo of it !

Was the hull strengthened so it could bear all its weight on the keel, or was it something they knew could be done anyway, as long as it was a gentle touchdown ?

Okay its on the Arctic icepack, and there may well have been a layer of snow to cushion and lubricate its passage across the ice, but I've never heard of a flying boat doing that, let alone see a photo of it !

Why didn't they just use the wheels?

It is not so uncommon to land seaplanes on ice:

post-59-11321743184.jpg

At the speed you are landing a plane, I would expect a water surface is not much softer than ice.

I have no idea, but I know many amphibs landed on snow like that, because wheels would sink to snow. I just always though Catalinas did it like that too. :)

Of course, there remains the problem that it's relatively easy to free up iced up wheels, but if the whole planing bottom is stuck fast and frozen to the icy surface you ain't gonna get out anytime soon... guess you would have to heat the whole surface if you intended to stop for any time at all in -40!

Conversely, the frictional surface area might well have served to create a very thin film of water under the hull during the take-off run, so it might actually fly off quicker than a wheel- or ski-equipped aircraft...

In the photo above of the Cat, it looks to me as if the hull has been strengthened with additional external plating at the very least.

In the photo above of the Cat, it looks to me as if the hull has been strengthened with additional external plating at the very least.

Really, Nick ? I can see the nose-wheel doors ( which look to me as if they might be partly open for some reason ) but nothing that suggests reinforcing of the hull. Which bit are you referring to ?

Here's a preview of a book which deals with the event, and some good information too. It was not usual for the PBY to be bellied onto the ice, and they had to seek the US Navy's approval to do it. Seems the situation was pretty desperate, and that required desparate measures.

Link

Really, Nick ? I can see the nose-wheel doors ( which look to me as if they might be partly open for some reason ) but nothing that suggests reinforcing of the hull. Which bit are you referring to ?

Sometimes I should spend less time writing and more time 'observing'. Of course you are right Paul!

Here's a preview of a book which deals with the event, and some good information too. It was not usual for the PBY to be bellied onto the ice, and they had to seek the US Navy's approval to do it. Seems the situation was pretty desperate, and that required desparate measures.

Link

And again we see how my thoughts are no where close to truth :rolleyes:

Several Sunderland flying boats made touch and go's on hard runways and at least one made an emergency. Of course they would never get off again once stopped.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellington_In...ational_Airport

"

In spite of the short runway and frequent winds, there have been very few safety incidents at the airport. However at the air show held at the airport on opening day in 1959 there were at least two incidents: a Royal New Zealand Air Force Sunderland flying boat scraped its keel along the runway during a low pass in turbulent conditions and a Royal Air Force Avro Vulcan bomber aborted its landing when it touched down short of the runway damaging its undercarriage and a wing. The aircraft then flew to Ohakea air base where it was stranded for several weeks awaiting repairs.

"