Reality Xp Gps?

VPA159

Has anybody installed the GNS430 or 520 in their Catalina? This KLN90B is awesome, but I do think the RXP 430 is a lot more in-depth. A better match for an otherwise stunning aircraft, I'd say.

The 430 looks like a direct retrofit over the KLN, but (as usual with well modelled VCs) the knobs on the panel would probably get in the way. Could there perhaps be an alternative panel with a gap for the RXP 430 or even the 520?

I know nothing of VC panel making, so I have no idea how complicated that would be. Is it doable for Aerosoft?

Or can some end-users made the panel config changes so that the RXP screen fits into the KLN's screen? That would at least look pretty nice, and one can always use the 2D popup.

I don't have either RXP for FSX, only FS9, but I'd really like to see either one fitted to the Catalina.

• Aerosoft
Has anybody installed the GNS430 or 520 in their Catalina? This KLN90B is awesome, but I do think the RXP 430 is a lot more in-depth. A better match for an otherwise stunning aircraft, I'd say.

The 430 looks like a direct retrofit over the KLN, but (as usual with well modelled VCs) the knobs on the panel would probably get in the way. Could there perhaps be an alternative panel with a gap for the RXP 430 or even the 520?

I know nothing of VC panel making, so I have no idea how complicated that would be. Is it doable for Aerosoft?

Or can some end-users made the panel config changes so that the RXP screen fits into the KLN's screen? That would at least look pretty nice, and one can always use the 2D popup.

I don't have either RXP for FSX, only FS9, but I'd really like to see either one fitted to the Catalina.

Adding it to the VC would mean a serious rebuild, remodel, recompile and retest, it is not something we would do just to add a third party gauge. I hope you understand that.

Adding it to the VC would mean a serious rebuild, remodel, recompile and retest, it is not something we would do just to add a third party gauge.

RealAir are doing just that for the recently released Duke B60 so I suggest you give them a thought if you want to use RXP gauges in another aircraft.

It's perfectly understandable, but I did have the recent Realair developements in mind. It's doable. As I said I have no experience in VC building, but removing the 3D buttons that'll overlap the GPS isn't something I'd instinctively call a serious rebuild.

Oh well, I hope someone will come up with the code to overlap the screen of the GPS with the RXP screen, like you've said earlier Mathijs I completely agree with you - a 2D popup is superior for fiddling with the GPS anyway. It's merely a cosmetic issue.

I think we'll probably end up with something that looks like a KLN with a 430 screen in the VC. The 2D will be the full RXP 430. But that's naturally up to the Reality XP end user community and not Aerosoft to make and test.

• Aerosoft
RealAir are doing just that for the recently released Duke B60 so I suggest you give them a thought if you want to use RXP gauges in another aircraft.

Sorry, I just do not have the resources to spend 2 days on that. RealAir obviously makes different choices, but I also think they do not have 11 different VC MDL's in there system. Things are a bit more complex for Aerosoft as we got a far bigger setup, with seperate support, development, testing, quality control departments. There are other considerations in support, implementation into the electrical system etc. If we do it for this gauge there will be other people asking for other changes. We got a pretty good GPS that we know is used in Catalinas in the cockpit and for now that's all we can do.

• 7 months later...

I'd like to bump this topic now. I did a direct replacement of the KLN90b with the RXP 430 GPS and this is what it looks like:

VC zoomed in(could do with some adjustments, anybody know how to raise the GPS a tad and make it a bit taller in the VC? I have no idea how to adjust VC "coordinates"):

image1nb.jpg

With popup (clickspot is on the GPS screen)

image2nx.jpg

Works fine so far, haven't tested it properly yet. Simply add it with the RXP utility, find the line:

gauge04=../SimObjects/Airplanes/Aerosoft_PBY-5A_Civ/panel/AS_KLN90B!KLN90B, 2,3,508,162

and replace it with the line:

gauge04=rxpGNS!GNS430, 2,3,508,162

You might need to delete the KLN90B's 2D panel too. I did, but I'm not sure it's necessary.

That said, I do like the KLN90B now, took some getting used to but it's great once you get past the strange interface. biggrin.gif