Vista Support

• Aerosoft

In the product pages you will see that we do not advise Vista for this product. In fact we do not advise Vista for any FS addon but the more complex the project is in visuals the easier it is to get into memory problems. Now the Catalina is intended to fly low and you will be tempted to use high detail scenery that also increases the memory load.

Up to yesterday there was not a lot that could be done other then downgrading Vista to XP but that is not a very attractive option. Today however you got the option to use Microsoft newest and very cool operating system for over a year without any cost. Windows 7 is everything that Vista should have been with a lot of new stuff thrown in. Microsoft makes the Release Copy (the one they will start to sell soon) available as download from this link: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx. You got till March 1st 2010 to replace the 'free' copy with a paid version, that upgrade will be seamless and easy. It is simply a very good deal, a high end try-before-you buy Operating System.

Nobody likes to rebuild the complete operating system and I'm not saying you need it. But we CAN now say that we do not advise Vista as there is a better and cheaper alternative. The Catalina will work fine on Vista as long as you do not overload the memory bus that will get you the dreaded 'out of memory' messages. On XP and on Windows 7 you will not see these messages (assuming you got 2 gb of mem) and it will be about 10 to 15% faster.

Are you getting commission from Microsoft now too? :D Be warned that when Windows 7 is finally released you will have to reinstall it again as you cannot upgrade a windows 7 RC build to the RTM build of Windows 7, there is a warning of this fact on the Microsoft Windows 7 RC website, so bare that in mind if you do decide to go down the Windows 7 road.

• Aerosoft
Are you getting commission from Microsoft now too? :D Be warned that when Windows 7 is finally released you will have to reinstall it again as you cannot upgrade a windows 7 RC build to the RTM build of Windows 7, there is a warning of this fact on the Microsoft Windows 7 RC website, so bare that in mind if you do decide to go down the Windows 7 road.

I know they do state that, but just as you were able to update beta's to RC's while MS told you this was not possible I think it will be the same. If they got a few million installed copies of W7, they would be silly to offer all those people a chance to consider Linux or something.

And even if that's not the case... you still get a whopping good OS that is perfect for FSX for almost a year without paying. I'm a cheap Dutch guy, I see a bargain when there is one. I liked XP, I tolerated Vista, but I love W7.

So - what worked in Vista64 will work in Windows 7? No driver problems, no problems with addons?

I have the RC downloaded today, and it's tempting to install it on my machine despite(!) the fact that Vista64 is giving me a WONDERFUL FSX experience...

I don't know if the drivers will work for your VRi M-panel in Windows 7, I'm the moderator over at VRi's forums and even I dont know if they work as I've not tried Windows 7 since the first Beta and I didn't have the VRi MCP then either. I've since removed Windows 7 as my sound card was playing up quite a bit in FSX. Might be worth asking VRi tech support if they know if they work or not in Windows 7. I must admit that I am very happy with Vista 64 I've not had a crash in FSX or an OOM error since I installed it.

Mr. Kok,

Has anyone in your testing team tried it on Vista 64? I've been using that for a couple of years now and have never had a OOM error(s); I know that it only applies to Vista 32; but, I wanted to know if this suggestion (regarding the CAT usage) applies to all VISTA's as a whole, as well.

If you guys are running 64 bit Vista and a good amount of ram, there shouldn't be any problems. I'm running Vista 64 Ultimate and 8 GB ram and the Catalina is running perfect, locked at 36 FPS.

If you guys are running 64 bit Vista and a good amount of ram, there shouldn't be any problems. I'm running Vista 64 Ultimate and 8 GB ram and the Catalina is running perfect, locked at 36 FPS.

When I installed the Catalina, I was prepared to see a hit on framerates. Nope - this baby flies smooth as butter. Incredible.

• Aerosoft
Mr. Kok,

Has anyone in your testing team tried it on Vista 64? I've been using that for a couple of years now and have never had a OOM error(s); I know that it only applies to Vista 32; but, I wanted to know if this suggestion (regarding the CAT usage) applies to all VISTA's as a whole, as well.

Vista 64 bits does not seem to have this (these) memory problem(s). It does have however loads of #####ty video drivers because none of the video card builders seem to see that gamers are using 64 bits OS's these days.

• Aerosoft
When I installed the Catalina, I was prepared to see a hit on framerates. Nope - this baby flies smooth as butter. Incredible.

In the hope not to pee of others... it's the difference between a professional modeled aircraft and one that has been made by talented and enthusiastic yet not professional trained people. In FS2004 the effect was not so big as we had many limits, FSX however is a much more standard 'game' and things start to show.

So, just to clarify, if I'm running Vista Home Premium 32 with only 2 gigs of 1066 MHz RAM, and I have never gotten an OOM error in FSX, I am likely to get those errors with the Catalina?

Did beta-testers with Vista 32 report OOMs often?

So, just to clarify, if I'm running Vista Home Premium 32 with only 2 gigs of 1066 MHz RAM, and I have never gotten an OOM error in FSX, I am likely to get those errors with the Catalina?

I was on Beta with Vista 32, and I never had that error. But I never had it before with FSX at all anyway.

• Aerosoft

No, but with all sliders to the right and selecting the right (or bad) scenery I can be almost sure to get an OOM in half an hour. It's a bad case scenario, one we share with ANY high detail aircraft + ANY high level scenery (so not just this aircraft) but I think we should be honest and open about this.

No, but with all sliders to the right and selecting the right (or bad) scenery I can be almost sure to get an OOM in half an hour. It's a bad case scenario, one we share with ANY high detail aircraft + ANY high level scenery (so not just this aircraft) but I think we should be honest and open about this.

Ah. That makes sense to me now. Thank you, Mathijs and Lennart. You've been very helpful.

I was on Beta with Vista 32, and I never had that error. But I never had it before with FSX at all anyway.

Same here; on the beta, Vista 32, 2meg ram, 3 year old pc and never had an issue with Vista, FSX or the Cat and I have most sliders at max - water and autogen are midway and road/water traffic are low. I'm also too busy/lazy to defrag and I see no point in tweaking cfg files!

Having said that, it's nice to now that if anyone has a problem, W7 sounds good.

No problems here either and have been flying for last few hours in all models.

Vista 32 bit. 4gig ram.

Smooth as silk in all models. Excellent aircraft all around, and well worth the wait!

Mr. Kok,

Yes, I am on V64 and I had no problems worth mentioning. Certainly no OS related ones.

I did have a few odd CTDs and other things during the late beta stages - but I had these with several different planes and sceneries. Folks, if you are constantly adding and changing addons in FSX, you may inadvertently mess up your FSX.cfg - this is not a fault of the Catalina addon.

If you start getting odd CTDs, hang-ups or seizues, then look through your fsx.cfg - look for double entries and old tweaks that are corrupted or out of date. For instance I found four monitors in the config instead of two and there were several other funnies.

And in the final analysis, delete the fsx.cfg and allow fsx to rebuild a new one. You may well have to "allow" numerous gauges again.

First of all thank you for this outstanding model..It,s perfect..I have Vista 64 bit and a pretty modest PC .Works perfect.. A fraction of a second delay for the VC textures to load when

switching views but that,s nothing...My jaw hit the floor when I saw this Black Cat texture...My favorite ride . Top job again !

CAT1.jpg

I'm running Vista 32 with 4GB here as well and I've had no problems so far. I haven't tried it over a complex scenery like Manhattan yet, but so far so good!

Never had any problems in FSX with any addon (Vista64, 4GB RAM, 8800GT)

And -for me personally- a bit strange to hit at Vista and recommend a Beta-OS...but just in case there could be some OOM in future under barley unknown (or highly individual) circumstances. And if there would be OOM or any other problem : there could be so many reasons for this. People use their PC not only for flightsimming and run their stable OC for many purposes :rolleyes:

But nevertheless a great addon, deep respect. Many peeople (and I am sure many Vista-Users) will be very happy with the Cat :)

• Aerosoft
Never had any problems in FSX with any addon (Vista64, 4GB RAM, 8800GT)

And -for me personally- a bit strange to hit at Vista and recommend a Beta-OS...but just in case there could be some OOM in future under barley unknown (or highly individual) circumstances. And if there would be OOM or any other problem : there could be so many reasons for this. People use their PC not only for flightsimming and run their stable OC for many purposes :rolleyes:

But nevertheless a great addon, deep respect. Many peeople (and I am sure many Vista-Users) will be very happy with the Cat :)

W7 is already a good time out of beta stage. It is now in public Release Candidate stage. In all matter of facts this is the same stage that Vista is in right now, if problems are found they will be fixed. For XP,Vista and for W7. And in every way you look at it right now it is superior to Vista.

Thanks for the product, you guys continue to set high standards. I am no expert with softwares, I have a question....suppose I take up your advice to install Windows 7 will that impact the performance of my other Add-on Sceneries and aircrafts and also my FS hardware such as MCP Pro, CH yoke, Pedals and Matrox TripleHead2Go.

Frankly I would be tempted to do all this only if I am able to use all my FS hardware and Software.

Regards

Vybhava Srinivasan

Mathijs,I puchased the download version of the catalina from The Flight Sim Store here in Australia.It downloaded fine and the registration was also fine,however in the fsx aircraft menu ,after selecting any variant of the catalina,a message appears "fsx must now close''and it then crashes back to the desktop.I contacted The Flight Sim Store and was advised to contact Aerosoft support.I am running vista ,have you heard of this problem before? I recently also bought the PMDG MD11 and have had no problems whatsoever with this or other payware programs . Please Help ! I have been looking forward to this release for a long time.thanks