Catalina Features

• Aerosoft

Models

There are 11 different models included based on the PBY-5, PBY 5A and PBY-6A. Included are famous models like the Australian Black Cats, the US long range patrols and the Cousteau Calypso.

Instrumentation

All instruments done in full 3d. Two different cockpits are available, one typical for the 1940s and 1950s and one as many Catalina's are flown today (with modern radio and GPS equipment). Highly realistic Bendix King radio stack (feel free to download the real manuals and use those!) Highly realistic and complex Bendix King KLN-90B GPS receiver

Flight Behavior

Different flight behavior for all different models that are checked with all available data and by current Catalina pilots. Now this is said a lot for FS add-on aircraft, but one Catalina operator is actually using this product for simple training in the winter when most Catalina's are hangar queens.

Sounds

With the impressive and powerful sound set, you actually will be able to tune the engines using your ears. Included is also the Aerosoft Sound Module that adds sound to switches, controls and events. From hydraulic pumps to the sound of the engines problems, this creates a far more immersive environment.

Interactive Checklist

Unlike a simple list of items the newly developed Interactive Checklist helps you to prevent problems by showing the correct settings with red or green check marks. It even includes sound effects and allows you to configure the aircraft for take-off or for a complete dead and cold setup.

Manual

The manual comes in two parts, the first 100 pages describe the aircraft in FSX, the second 340 (!) pages are and actual Operation Manual from a Catalina that is currently operated by the Dutch Stichting Explotatie Catalina PH-PBY. The simulation is so detailed that the use of the actual complete and unchanged manual is possible.

Added realism

• More realistic calculations of engine temperatures, taking cowl flap position, ambient air temperature, fuel/air mixtures setting, airspeed and engine heat generation into account.
  • Better depiction of electrical load.
  • Hydraulic pressures are calculated more realistic.
  • Realistic cold engine start-up, requiring use of engine primers.
  • Auto-mixture that controls auto rich and auto lean.
  • Realistic carburetor icing that takes moisture and carburetor air temperature into account.
  • Structural icing that will accumulate ice on the structure, adding weight until the aircraft becomes unflyable.
  • Cowl flaps, Floats and landing gear has better simulation of influence on drag.
  • More realistic water operation.
  • Realistic simulation of the Sperry A-3A (Jack & Heinz) Autopilot for the vintage model.
  • Realistic Bendix King Silver Crown radio stack for the modernized version, with many features for navigation and flight planning.

Engine failures:

• Spark plug fouling
  • Overheat due to excessive Cylinder head temperature
  • Overheat due to excessive Oil temperature
  • Risc of shock cooling, if the engines are cooled off too quick
  • Power reduction due to excessive carburetor air temperature

Wow! That is a very impressive list of features. The Catalina was not a plane that was high on my must have list but I will have to buy it now just to experience what must be the most detailed and realistic plane built for MSFS by anyone to date.

Will this be the new benchmark for all future Aerosoft aircraft? If so it's going to be difficult to buy them from anyone else. Any chance you'll go back and upgrade previously released planes like the Twotter to this level?

That's disappointing on the Twotter. The Twotter, the Bush Hawk and the Beaver are such must have planes you would love to see it done to this level of realism. I would be willing to pay an additional $20-30 per plane just to have them with the same feature set as the Catalina. In fact I think the Catalina is way under priced. It is a steal at what you are charging. This should be at least a $50 plane.

I know it's low likelihood that it will influence anything but for my part these are some of the planes I would love to see get the new Aerosoft treatment:

Cessna Turbo 206H Stationair

Cessna 402C

Cessna Caravan

Beech 58 Baron

Beech A36 Bonanza

Piper Saratoga

Piper Matrix

Pilatus PC-12

Grumman G21

Others have done these but certainly not to this level of realism. I think Aerosoft really has carte blanche to do whatever aircraft they want to at this point as few have delivered anything comparable. If this is what can be done with FSX who needs Microsoft or FS11.

• Aerosoft
That's disappointing on the Twotter. The Twotter, the Bush Hawk and the Beaver are such must have planes you would love to see it done to this level of realism. I would be willing to pay an additional $20-30 per plane just to have them with the same feature set as the Catalina. In fact I think the Catalina is way under priced. It is a steal at what you are charging. This should be at least a $50 plane.

I know it's low likelihood that it will influence anything but for my part these are some of the planes I would love to see get the new Aerosoft treatment:

Cessna Turbo 206H Stationair

Cessna 402C

Cessna Caravan

Beech 58 Baron

Beech A36 Bonanza

Piper Saratoga

Piper Matrix

Pilatus PC-12

Grumman G21

Others have done these but certainly not to this level of realism. I think Aerosoft really has carte blanche to do whatever aircraft they want to at this point as few have delivered anything comparable. If this is what can be done with FSX who needs Microsoft or FS11.

Well to be totally honest, I can agree on the Twin Otter. Though I believe it is a very solid product I just wish it would have been started 6 months later and with a different development crew. But that's life, the PBY is the first FSX aircraft I can honestly say I am totally happy with. Thanks for the list, there are some aircraft on there that got my serious attention.

• 10 months later...

I'm very new to FSX... How do I get access to the other models of the PBY? I only have one show up in the aircraft select window.

Thanks.

Bottom of aircraft selection window in the sim. Check the box to `Show All Variants`