Cumulusx! 1.1 Approchaing Public Release

Peter Lürkens

Hi everybody,

CumulusX! 1.1. is approaching public beta. In my attempts to make thermal simulation more and more realistic, I've arrived at the point where installed scenery is getting more and more important.

So in this release, in addition to waterbodies now also forests, and ice and snow play a role, meaning that comparable multiplayer operation conditions will depend ever more on equal scenery configuration, including such subtle things as landclasses.

What do you think about it? Is it worthwhile to improve realism, or would you prefer more an easy setup for multiplayer and, perhaps, competition mode? (Of course I prefer realism :-)

Cheers,

Peter

I rarely fly multiplayer so realism, please.

Having said that, would it be too much work to add a "standard version" for multiplayer?

Rgds

I'm good with realism... multiplayer in FSX hasn't really worked with the current version and that's all we've got. Is the 'multiplayer' issue more likely to do with repeatability between different runs of the same mission? That would affect a lot more pilots but as long as the thermals aren't too sparse it shouldn't affect things and on balance I think it would be better. I'd like to have a shot at including sim_probe in the CumulusX package though with a common exe.xml.

Hi Ian,

repeatability shouldn't be an issue. Multiplayer is still ok, as long as scenery is equal. There is an issue now with the surface type. Forests, ice and snow are affecting the thermal placement. In fact these information come from the landclass scenery.

When using sim_probe, also the ridge lift depends on scenery.

When using the slope data base, slope effects, as are both ridge lift and mountain thermals, depend on the slope data base only, rather than on the scenery, which might be inconsistent with the visuals if there is a relevant difference between mesh and slope data base.

Meanwhile I made some tests with two independent FSX installations, communicating over the internal multiplayer engine. Indeed, though the FSX sky image was different on both machines, thermal placement and properties were exactly the same, also if one machine disconnected for a while an reentered later. What is not equal among the two is the placement of FSX native clouds.

Another finding was, that after simming a while and saving the situation, then after reloading the weather situations was something different than before (using a weather theme). However, each reloading produced again the same situation, which means, if you have to interrupt your flight to continue the other day, you may not find exactly the same condition again. Yet, if you create a situation and distribute, all users will still have exactly the same conditions.

BTW, the new CumulusX! version will have an Autoinstall-feature for the XML file (if it makes the beta).

regards,

Peter

Hi everybody,

CumulusX! 1.1. is approaching public beta. In my attempts to make thermal simulation more and more realistic, I've arrived at the point where installed scenery is getting more and more important.

So in this release, in addition to waterbodies now also forests, and ice and snow play a role, meaning that comparable multiplayer operation conditions will depend ever more on equal scenery configuration, including such subtle things as landclasses.

What do you think about it? Is it worthwhile to improve realism, or would you prefer more an easy setup for multiplayer and, perhaps, competition mode? (Of course I prefer realism :-)

Cheers,

Peter

Ian,

I vote for realism, also. I want a simulation of reality for when I can't be flying the real thing, not a game.

In addition, I flew two of the Austria missions over the weekend, and think that a PDA is required. The FSX GPS display doesn't help you figure out what is the best way through the mountains. It's really geared for IFR flight. Something like what Condor has, with terrain displayed, would really help with situational awareness.

I really liked flying with all of those other gliders, so maybe I'll be trying out multiplayer in the future.

binky9

lol multiplayer in FSX sucks because of the difficulty in setting up a soaring session - we really need a dedicated soaring server with a known IP address so we could bypass GameSpy. Condor kicks FSX butt in that regard. All glider instruments are possible, including a PDA, but it's a lot of work programming instruments. For the PDA you need a combination of the 3D modeller PLUS a programmer to do the logic and it's not common to get this combination in a freeware development. The much awaited Aerosoft Discus has the best cockpit of any glider in any sim, but it's not available yet and is necessarily payware.

As this forum is CumulusX, instruments/multiplayer discussions are best on the general forum

lol multiplayer in FSX sucks because of the difficulty in setting up a soaring session - we really need a dedicated soaring server with a known IP address so we could bypass GameSpy. Condor kicks FSX butt in that regard. All glider instruments are possible, including a PDA, but it's a lot of work programming instruments. For the PDA you need a combination of the 3D modeller PLUS a programmer to do the logic and it's not common to get this combination in a freeware development. The much awaited Aerosoft Discus has the best cockpit of any glider in any sim, but it's not available yet and is necessarily payware.

As this forum is CumulusX, instruments/multiplayer discussions are best on the general forum

I have Condor and Silent Wings, but haven't tried multiplayer in them, yet. I, too, am waiting for the Discus to come out. CumulusX!/sim_probe are working great. Thanks,

binky9

• 2 weeks later...