Fshost - - Soar! In Fs2004/fsx...continued

sf4JC

Just received good news this noon concerning the sale of our house (after close to 10 months). We may be in a new home soon, so the FSHost server I used to run will hopefully be up as soon as possible and for longer periods of time: about 12 hours/day during the week, and maybe 24 hours/day on the weekend. We still need to sign papers and such (praying no other things slide into the way), but we are very hopeful this time.

I'm thinking about two & a half weeks, but it could be the end of May. Like always, I'll keep everyone posted.

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

Bad news at the moment. The move was not good on our computers :wacko: , but it's going ok otherwise. Still unsure as to what our problems are getting online. My laptop is shot, my main computer seems to be malfunctioning every once in a while, and my wifes computer seems to get worse each day for internet access. Wonder if I should believe in ghosts?! :lol:

Just wanted to give everybody an update.

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

Welp, I believe I got most of the computer problems taken care of, and have been testing the server out. I have noticed on this DSL connection, that the IP Address changes several times a day without warning so it probably disconnects everyone when it does. Right now I'm looking into a free service called "No-IP Free" to get a domain name connected to an ever changing address, which may help with the connection problem, I don't know.

Anyway, at the moment without reading the documentation, it looks like this kind of service may work for the connection I've got, but will need to read it thoroughly to see if I can use it in the manner it will be used. So for the mean time, I'm going to keep the server down so as not to aggrivate the users.

Sorry for this inconvenience.

Scott

Welp, I believe I got most of the computer problems taken care of, and have been testing the server out. I have noticed on this DSL connection, that the IP Address changes several times a day without warning so it probably disconnects everyone when it does. Right now I'm looking into a free service called "No-IP Free" to get a domain name connected to an ever changing address, which may help with the connection problem, I don't know.

Well I'm not an expert but if you are talking about fsx game server, changing ip every once in a while will disconnect the players. And I guess the No-Ip won't help also, because in general games are connecting thru ip so even if DNS will say, it is always for ex "fsx.host.com"; still the game will be using ip, not the domain name (I s'pose). And it's weird that your ip changes few times a day, it seams that your provider has short ip lease time periods set in DHCP router or whatever used. But as I said I'm not an expert so it maybe working fine. These are my concerns from experience with other online games I played.

regards

Grumpy

I'm with grumpy and suggest that a changing IP address is guaranteed to drop any online users...

B21

I think I may have it figured out, but only time will tell. For now, everybody can use the following address to access the server (Hopefully :unsure: ).

FSHost: sf4JC.hopto.org port 23456 @ SOAR! - FS2004/FSX Gliders

TeamSpeak: sf4JC.hopto.org:8769 @ 3n1 Racing (SOAR!)

If someone has time in the next few days, could you test it out? At the moment, I cannot get FSHostSpy to verify it's there. As far as the possible disconnect issue, from all my reading, it shouldn't be a problem as long as everybody uses these addresses rather than the actual ???.???.???.??? address.

Scott

ok, I got the latest (1.1) FSHostClient. And when I'm running the game clicking addons>connect multiplayer I still can't connect can someone explain how to get it working. It says that i should get the ip not the hostname.

------------- edit

well i got the best idea that if fshost servers are verified by port 80 then i should see something thru my firefox. Since I dont see anything I guess that the server is offline.

Q:

1. Do I have to have external ip address to connect?

2. Can this happen because I'm in Poland and serv is in US?

3. Will it be possible for me to play (I have a pretty decent connection 3Mb)?

Sorry grumpy bone, I'm almost 100% sure right now that this was my fault. I checked the server logs yesterday and found out the server was registering, but I was getting no hits the whole day. So I've spent alot of time trying to find out what was happening. And today I found where the problem started and crossreferenced the time to what No-IP could tell me and saw that the IP address was not changing with the dynamic changes. I may have had some settings not checked right, cause now it seems to be functioning right, but I'm keeping a closer eye on the situation the next few days to be hopefully more aware of any problems as they happen.

The first time I set up the server, it was basically a trial and error thing for some time. I hope not to repeat this, as it may discourage others to join the session. So just want to say I'm SORRY grumpy bone, but THANKS for testing it out. If you have time, try it again, I'm going to try to keep the server going 24 hours a day for a few more days to see what happens if I can identify anything wrong.

As far as Q #1, I'm pretty sure you put sf4JC.hopto.org in as the address. I can do some checking if I can get a chance tomarrow. I believe your connection speed is alright, but I'm no computer tech guy to be sure.

Scott

Ok just finished testing. Checking out the servers before you get up is a treat for you, isn't it? ;)

I did some soaring in Cordillera de los Andes ;p

Some of my Q were answered. You can find this server by typing the hostname instead of ip. You can check if the server is running in your browser.

That is my log from FsHostCLient

090616 12:43:45  FSHostClient 1.1 starting
090616 12:43:45  Connected to Flight Simulator
090616 12:43:46  Version check complete. This is the latest version.
090616 12:49:16  Added player: *Server/sf4JC5'08 (FSHost 3.2)
090616 12:49:16  Connected to host: 'SOAR! - FS2004/FSX Gliders' on IP: 97.114.128.97, port: 23456
090616 13:15:49  Removed player: *Server/sf4JC5'08 (FSHost 3.2)
090616 13:15:49  Disconnected from host[/code]

There are still some questions left.

1. Since I was alone and fshclient does not show any ping rate information, I couldn't verify if gameplay will be laggy.

2. Even though I was connected as FsHClient said, I still couldn't see myself in the player list in my browser at server site. Was I really connected? That can be easly verified by playing with someone.

3. And the server stopped at 13:15:49 my local time (GMT+1) Which is 4:15 your time (GMT-8 i s'pose?)

The main question is what was the reason? sf4JC you need to check if on that hour your ip changed (if you have that kind of info). By the time im posting this the server is not up.

But since I was able to connect and server was up for 30minutes of my gameplay I think it is still a success.

Hope to play with you guys despite the so much difference in time zones.

best regards

grumpy

I should get a chance to check the results in a few hours. Thanks for the help grumpy! I must have just missed you by a half an hour, in fact, your post was posted just minutes before I checked the forum.

Scott

090616 16:54:50  Connected to host: 'SOAR! - FS2004/FSX Gliders' on IP: 75.174.238.42, port: 23456

090616 19:40:47  Disconnected from host

As you can see IP changed since my last entry, but there was no problem these 3h.

Total success! We have even met in Peru for a hwile.

So who's up for a flight?

Q/A:

If your model or/and paintjob is not on the other player fsxs you'll be seen as cessna (and making a sound of one).

If you are using fshclient message system you will stop midair (don't know if collision with paused pilots are possible).

For the time we were flying I didn't notice any laggyness in sf4JC flight.

The server stayed the same address after you left, so my original thoughts didn't hold water. While we were in the session, I thought about having you exit while I stayed in to see if there was any effects of such. Maybe I'll do this later to make sure. But as far as not seeing you on the "radar" I have in my VC view, I don't understand why this was since I could actually see you in sight. I have only used this once in the past, and it worked.

I'm going to look more into why FSHostClient was working the way it was, cause I don't remember it working that way. It was also bothering me that after a message was sent, it would automatically go back to the sim (which is ok, but I wish, or I hope there is an option to want it or not). I found myself typing in the next message and finding out that all I was doing is giving the sim an overload of key commands. I did get a few screen shots out of the deal though.

Scott

The server is up again after a day and a half of trying to update Vista to SP2, and it still doesn't install. I feel like I've tried every option available. My problem is, I need to delete or rename 3 corrupted files in order for the install to go through. I need to be signed in as the "SUPER" Administrator account to be able to do what I need, but then when I get logged in to that account, the computer just will not let me change anything either. I am completely stumpt on how to do this, cause I've followed all the instructions carefully and "to the letter" to be more precise.

So anyway, I'll leave the server up for the rest of the weekend, and then Monday I will start back up again trying to figure this out.

Scott

Update from another thread!!!

I've got some good news, and I've got some bad news. I'll go with the bad news first...

I started working to get my Vista32 machine updated to SP2, and ended up knocking out the OS somehow. Anyway, to make a long story short, I'm in the process of installing a new hard drive (less expense than to have it repaired at the local shop) to the computer. After I get Vista up to standards, I'm going to see if I can install the old hard drive (as a secondary hard drive) to get all the info off of it. Hopefully I can still get the info so I can have a somewhat less troublesome reinstall of the FSHost and TeamSpeak servers. It's going to take a little time to get there, not to mention the "hit and miss" of locating files for the reinstall.

To make it even worse for you all, the server may only be open for a few days before I leave for about a week to a week and a half vacation. So, if everything goes well enough tonight and tomarrow, I can have the servers going by Sunday and have it going till Thursday July 2nd. I will be returning maybe by the weekend of July 10th-12th (could be earlier, could be later).

Now for some good news, I've got some weekend FS2004/FSX - FunFly/Competitions (at least 3 by the end of summer) in the works if we get good results from testing. They will be based off of real-world contests and flyins that take place those respective weekends. I have been able to get good weather data from past years to have a good idea of what the original contestants got to fly in. So in that respect, things look really good for simulation. And I can have more than 2 servers going at a time to accommodate freeflight, funfly, and contests servers with there own weather conditions.

So, all in all, I just need to keep my head up for the next few trying days, and the future will come in time.

grumpy, I will be able to set the weather conditions from within FSHost for several of the servers and to keep one server going real-world weather, but something seems to tell me there was a glitch with FSX (FSHostClient). I will look into it once the servers are established.

Scott

So Hopes for good things to come.

Scott

Just checking in, it's been a rough ride so far (about 12-18 total hours just trying to figure out my sound and graphics problems :blink: ). Though my computer does recognize the old hard drive, so that's a plus. Now I need to find all the files and such for the servers to get them up and running again. Also have to see about re-registering No-IP.

Scott

Not sure what happened to my post last night, but here we go...

{server 1} -----------------------------------------------

FSHost: sf4JC.hopto.org port 23456 inside FS2004/FSX

server: SOAR! - FS2004/FSX Gliders (1)

session: "SOAR! FreeFlight"

TeamSpeak: sf4JC.hopto.org:8769

server: 3n1 Racing (SOAR!)

{server 2} -------------------------------------------------

FSHost: sf4JC.hopto.org port 23458 inside FS2004/FSX

server: SOAR! - FS2004/FSX Gliders (2)

session: "SOAR! - __???__ FunFly/Contest"

TeamSpeak: sf4JC.hopto.org:8768

server: 3n1 Racing (SOAR! - 2)

{server 3} -------------------------------------------------

FSHost: sf4JC.hopto.org port 23459 inside FS2004/FSX

server: SOAR! - FS2004/FSX Gliders (3)

session: "SOAR! - __???__ FunFly/Contest"

TeamSpeak: sf4JC.hopto.org:8770

server: 3n1 Racing (SOAR! - 3)

---------------------------------

I'm pretty sure they are working now, well, maybe about 90% sure because of everything that's happened. So if you happen to see something amiss, PLEASE let me know here. The server will be up until about 6 or 7:00am tomarrow July 02, 2009. And wont come back online till I get back from vacation. Happy Soaring!!

Scott (sf4JC )