Dhc-6 Twin Otter Tutorial?

larshgf

Hello Lars,

I haven't heard of any.

Are you having any issues in particular.

Hi Shaun,

I would like some data regarding the recommended airspeed, torque and flapsettings in different flightsituations (climb, cruise, descend, approach and landing). A little "first-flight-guide" would have been nice from Aerosoft as an addendum to the manaul. Besides that I'm very satisfied with the Twin Otter!

Best Regards

Lars

Hi Shaun,

I would like some data regarding the recommended airspeed, torque and flapsettings in different flightsituations (climb, cruise, descend, approach and landing). A little "first-flight-guide" would have been nice from Aerosoft as an addendum to the manaul. Besides that I'm very satisfied with the Twin Otter!

Best Regards

Lars

Hi Shaun!

What about some numbers for me and the rest of the costumers who have purchased the Twin Otter?

Best Regards

Lars

Guest Hodge001

Hi Lars

For most if not all of the data you require you could try the excellent documents prepared by Albrecht Hiller listed in the Important Topics at the top of this forum.

Jim Hodkinson

Hi Lars

For most if not all of the data you require you could try the excellent documents prepared by Albrecht Hiller listed in the Important Topics at the top of this forum.

Jim Hodkinson

Thanks a lot Jim, I did not caught that one allthough I searched.

BR

Lars

But in fact I still miss data for how to configuring the DHC-6 Twint Otter (300) in descend, approach and landing (torque, propeller, speed, flaps). Does anybody know how to do this - or do you jump out using the parachute.... :rolleyes:

Best Regards

Lars

Hi Lars,

I didn't write much about descent, because this is a little bit a matter of individual calculation.

For instance, our altitude is 10,000 ft and airport elevation is 0 ft.

With a sinkrate of 1000 ft/min this will need 10 minutes or with 500 ft/min 20 minutes...

Let us say 1000 ft/min and we have a ground speed 150 KTS this is a distance of (10*2,5) 25 NM.

With 20 min and GS 120 KTS this is (20*2,0) 40NM.

You see, I've engrained, that 120 KTS is 2 NM per minute and 180 KTS is 3 NM /min.

Descent is normaly done with Torque 13 psi (but you can stress this aircraft with throttles in beta range for a quick descent)

and this makes a fuel flow of 30 lb/hr per engine (for the calculation).

At any point, before descent or before approach you need some time to slow down the aircraft.

This is to reach the maximum speeds for the flaps extraction (which you can find on page 3).

Final approach speeds you can find on page 4.

On approach, you will not have the time, to study performance sheets ;-).

That is the reason, why you will not find a lot of tables at any original aircraft manual.

If you have more questions, please ask.

I'll try to answer in my (poor) english.

Regards

Albrecht

Hi Albrecht!

Thank you for your answer and the fine material you have produced for the DHC-6.

Is there a special settings for the Propeller levers when descending or do I use the same settings as in cruise?

In the Performance tables you have made I assume that Np stands for Propellaer RPM? So when it says Maximum Cruise Power - 75% Np - 1650 RPM it actually means that the propeller tachometer will be on 75% of total about 2200 RPM?

This relationship between the Torque Pressure and the Propeller RPM is special for the turboprop aircrafts. Can you write a few words on this issue making this relationship and the practical handling of the Throttle Levers contra the Propeller Pitch Levers more clear? I know what these two Levers do in the turboprop engine and the propeller system respectively, but I might need an explanation of why the settings are so and so ind the different flightsituations.

Best Regards

Lars :)

Hi Lars,

that's right, 75% Np means 75% from max 2200 RPM.

Maybe, not 100% correct: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propeller (but this is too much for me).

In descent I use the same setting as in cruise (for the prop levers), only in final I take 100% (maybe a go around is necessary).

About the practical handling, there have been some posts from real Twotter pilots here in this forum:

http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=15946

http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=16916

http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=16263

Best regards

Albrecht

Hi Albrecht,

Thank you very much for your excellent help..!!

I have printed out for forumthreads you recommended in your links. Filled with good information about the DHC-6.

Best Regards

Lars :)