Dornier Atc And Gps

hprass

The ATC in the Dornier does not function. The choices appear but when selected remain inactive, and there is no audible dialogue at all.

Second, the GPS "hand held" map shows position movement but is non functional in all other respects. The buttons "operate" when clicked but there is no response from the unit.

I've tried all the on/off buttons on the auxiliary panel and the radio panel without success.

Love the plane.

Help appreciated.

HP

Hello HP,

Foir the radio have you pressed the default ATC key on the keyboard to bring it up.

As for the Dornier, whcih version do you refer to, the FS9 or FSX version.

Shaun,

I'm using FSX

Yes. I pressed the ATC button (`) and as I mentioned the menu items appear. The menu responds to selections that do not require speech i.e. I can go from "select airport" to "contact tower" but when I request landing there's nothing. The menu just stays the same.

Vista Home premium

3.2 gh Intel core 17 965

6136 Mgb installed memory

ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2

Thanks

HP

Hello HP,

I checked the GPS and it just seems to act as a moving map.

I'll take a look and see if I can get it going.

As for the radio and ATC does this happen anywhere?

Shaun,

The radio does not work, as described above, everywhere-in the air and on the ground for taxi and takeoff.

Hello HP,

Time for some maintenance on the aircraft.

Please check this post here.

Shaun,

I did the maintenance and the engine start with electrical swithes off. Still no ATC function.

Also, your description of the GPS as "a moving map" is not clear. Do you mean that the functions such as ENTER, IN, OUT etc. are not supposed to work?

HP

• Deputy Sheriffs

I just did a flight in the Do-27 (FSX version) from Innsbruck (LOWI) to Munich Int'l (EDDM). Both the ATC and GPS worked fine.

For ATC, I used the "accent" and got the customary window with choices. Clicking for ATIS, ground, local, departure, enroute, approach, local at Munich and Munich ground worked fine. In addition to having the radio "On" with the switch on the tuning head, don't forget to push in the circuit breaker for "COMM 1" "Transponder" to get power to the bus (<Shift>/<4>).

As for the GPS, it's basic, but besides the moving map, you can enter waypoints. Once it's on (<Shift>/<3>), left click on "WPT" to get to the menu where you choose waypoints. Use the "3 o'clock" side of the thumb pad to cursor up through the alphanumerics, the "9 o'clock" position to cursor down through the alphanumerics and the "6 o'clock" position to advance to the next charater field to the right. "12 o'clock backs up through the fields. You can also "cheat" and use your keyboard and enter the characters directly. In my case from LOWI, I entered "EDDM" and used the enter key (3X) until I got back to the nav display. Here's what it should look like...

post-17951-1241155972_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps.

O/S and Sim:

Vista 64bit and FSX SP2

• Deputy Sheriffs

Update to my earlier post. Using the FSX flight planning tool before loading the Do also loads the flight plan into the GPS.

Herman and Shaun,

I retried all the suggestions and checked all the switches, but nothing changed. In a last ditch effort I did a reinstall.

Hooray! All the problems disappeared. Additionally, the glass effect of the canopy is now apparent. (I didn't even realize it was missing)

Thanks for your help.

HP

My pleasure at the functioning of the ATC and GPS caused me to greet success too quickly. Both of these now function for about eight minutes and then go dead. I've repeated the experiment, done maintenance, started the engine with the aeronautics off, and every time, while flying, the ATC and GPS become unresponsive.

It's interesting that they always "die" together. This perhaps will provide a clue.

I'm posting this problem as a service as there may be a solution which is beyond my computer and which affects others.

I enjoy the plane and will continue to fly it with the missing functions. My energy on this problem has been consumed. In the event you have any new info I'd be appreciative.

If not, that's OK.

Thanks,

HP

Hello HP,

Something wrong if it keeps breaking.

Load the default Cessna then load the Do-17, then do any maintenance then reload the default Cessna without flying the Do-27, then reload the Do-27.

I flew all the way from Kathmandu to Lukla testing it and it worked fine for the duration.

Hello HP,

Something wrong if it keeps breaking.

Load the default Cessna then load the Do-17, then do any maintenance then reload the default Cessna without flying the Do-27, then reload the Do-27.

I flew all the way from Kathmandu to Lukla testing it and it worked fine for the duration.

Shaun,

That prescription seems to have done the trick. I flew for over 30 minutes without aTC or GPS failure. Thats exceeds by far any previous duration.

I think you/we have it fixed.

Thanks,

HP

Shaun,

After the succesful flight, the next flight reverted. Althought I started with the Cessna, after about eight minutes, the ATC, GPS didn't function and the LIGHTS went out. I noticed this because it was the first night flight. Clicking the battery switch, all the aero swithes didn't help.

BETTER NEWS:

Consistent with your suggestion I loaded the Dornier from the Cessna, but I loaded the Cessna as my default flight at KSEA. I remember this suggestion from Dreamfleet products re new aircraft.

It seems to have worked. I flew from Caldwell NJ to Bridgeport CN without incident, and without performing service.

I'll keep you posted if this was juist an anomaly.

HP

• Deputy Sheriffs
Shaun,

After the succesful flight, the next flight reverted. Althought I started with the Cessna, after about eight minutes, the ATC, GPS didn't function and the LIGHTS went out. I noticed this because it was the first night flight. Clicking the battery switch, all the aero swithes didn't help.

BETTER NEWS:

Consistent with your suggestion I loaded the Dornier from the Cessna, but I loaded the Cessna as my default flight at KSEA. I remember this suggestion from Dreamfleet products re new aircraft.

It seems to have worked. I flew from Caldwell NJ to Bridgeport CN without incident, and without performing service.

I'll keep you posted if this was juist an anomaly.

HP

Your experience is similar to mine in what it takes to keep the Do flying. I understand this is similar to what needs to be done with other complex aircraft (as noted somewhere on the Digital Aviation website), so it's not just a Do issue.

As long as I start with a default aircraft at a default airport, THEN once the default setup loads, change to the Do and wherever I want to start, things work just great. Trying to start with the Do results in a CTD before long, at least for me, using Vista64 and FSX. The extra steps to keep the Do happy are worth it to me, for the challenge and utility of the aircraft.