Binky9 Needs Help Getting Cumulusx Installed

B21

I have gotten as far as putting in the exe file in the right place, but there is another exe file already there for CumulusX!, and Windows wants to over-write it. What should I tell it?

Does the sample exe file at the bottom of the reademe file get pasted to the exe file for CumulusX!?

Yes Binky,

you have to paste the <launch.addon> part of the sample of simprobe.readme file into the exe.xml you already made for cumulusX. If you do so you should endup with an exe.xml that should look something like this (the example below is my exe.xml, make sure you use your own path's)

Bert

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">

<Descr>Launch</Descr>

<Filename>EXE.xml</Filename>

<Disabled>False</Disabled>

<Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>

<Launch.Addon>

<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>

<Name>Addon Application</Name>

<Path>modules\Cumulusx!\CumulusX.exe</Path>

<CommandLine></CommandLine>

<NewConsole>True</NewConsole>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Path>modules\Sim_probe\sim_probe.exe</Path>

<CommandLine>log="C:\\Users\\Bert\\Documents\\FSX_IGC_files\\"</CommandLine>

</Launch.Addon>

</SimBase.Document>

yup - the crucial fact is you have to *edit* the exe.xml with Notepad, not just copy the file into the folder. You're adding another <Launch.Addon> section as per Bert's note:

<Launch.Addon>

</Launch.Addon>

You have to be careful with the 'CommandLine' line - this has to be the full path to a folder that has to exist for sim_probe to put your IGC log files into it. If you get this wrong you'll still get ridge lift, but no log file. WORST case, you can make it <CommandLine>log=C:\\</CommandLine> and sim_probe will put you log files in C:\.

yup - the crucial fact is you have to *edit* the exe.xml with Notepad, not just copy the file into the folder. You're adding another <Launch.Addon> section as per Bert's note:

<Launch.Addon>

</Launch.Addon>

You have to be careful with the 'CommandLine' line - this has to be the full path to a folder that has to exist for sim_probe to put your IGC log files into it. If you get this wrong you'll still get ridge lift, but no log file. WORST case, you can make it <CommandLine>log=C:\\</CommandLine> and sim_probe will put you log files in C:\.

OK. After trying and failing, I have decided to come clean. I don't know how to edit an exe. file.

binky9

OK. After trying and failing, I have decided to come clean. I don't know how to edit an exe. file.

binky9

You can manually start sim_probe if you open "My Computer", navigate to the Modules folder in FSX and double-click sim_probe.exe *after* FSX has started.

FYI to edit the "exe.xml" file you right-click it and select "Edit". If you can't *find* the exe.xml file let me know.

P.S. in Windows Explorer you can go "Tools"->Folder Options->View->*UNCHECK* Hide extensions for known file types->Apply to All Folders" and you'll see the full file name instead of just "exe".

If you think there should be a single install for CumulusX plus sim_probe instead of separate packages, feel free to say so.

B21

You can manually start sim_probe if you open "My Computer", navigate to the Modules folder in FSX and double-click sim_probe.exe *after* FSX has started.

FYI to edit the "exe.xml" file you right-click it and select "Edit". If you can't *find* the exe.xml file let me know.

P.S. in Windows Explorer you can go "Tools"->Folder Options->View->*UNCHECK* Hide extensions for known file types->Apply to All Folders" and you'll see the full file name instead of just "exe".

If you think there should be a single install for CumulusX plus sim_probe instead of separate packages, feel free to say so.

B21

Well, don't I feel dumb. I now have green boxes in sim_probe and CumulusX!. I tried the Mifflin mission, and found ridge lift. I then tried free flights in Switzerland at Sion and Bad Ragaz, but didn't find ridge lift either place. Does sim_probe only work with the missions?

As for one package, yes, it looks like everybody downloads both programs, so it seems logical to just have one install.

Thanks for your patience, and good flying.

binkyi9

good job...

sim_probe's ridge lift is 100% independent of whatever you happen to be doing with your aircraft in the sim, e.g. you can be in a mission or not and in any aircraft. Once loaded, sim_probe is always there in the background adding a vertical component to the air movement affecting the aircraft. Keep this image in mind while you're looking for ridge lift and you won't go far wrong:

ridgelift_anim.gif

The simplest way to explore the ridge lift is to have sim_probe display it's ridgelift value on-screen (via the FSX add-ons->sim_probe menu) and slew around the landscape. With any wind, when you tuck into the windward side of a slope you'll find ridge lift there, and in the lee of any hills there'll be sink.

Edit - it' worth checking you did in fact have *wind* blowing in a reasonable direction and at a reasonable strength when you were in free flight? 15 knots wind will give ok ridgelift, 25 knots will give excellent ridge lift but be harder to fly. No wind = no ridge lift...

B21