Fsx And My Computer Are Getting Divorced!

George W

When FSX first came out it would not run satisfactorily on my old computer - so I gave up flight simming for about 18 months - when after a number of blue screens - I decided it was time to upgrade the computer. Last November, having read many threads (mainly on this forum) as to what was being recommended to get a decent FPS - I took the plunge and got the new computer. The downside is that I am not much better off and am getting FPS of between 5 - 20 which is really depressing after the money I have spent.

It seems (from reading recent threads) that vista 64 bit is not the best operating system for FSX and my graphics card (ATI Radeon 4870) is just not suited to FSX. Then I get envious when I see that Mathijs is achieving FPS of 150!!!! with the catalina - I would be happy with 50.

So, if I want to get the best out of FSX it looks like I need to get an I7 processor, a 32 bit operating system and a cheap graphics card - and divorce FSX from my current computer and take a mistress which will be dedicated purely to FSX.

Nothing new here - just ranting after some disappointing (low FPS with some stuttering) flying during the Easter break.

Oh by the way - HAPPY EASTER - and is aerosoft going to market the 150 FPS FSX kit?

- and is aerosoft going to market the 150 FPS FSX kit?

George:

If anything could/would drain my bank account faster..

Mathijs's 150 FPS kit??? My credit card weeps :)

Randy

George:

If anything could/would drain my bank account faster..

Mathijs's 150 FPS kit??? My credit card weeps :)

Randy

Randy

I have come up with a great idea - what we should do, is go to one of Mathijs workshops/displays - I will take him out for dinner (he will do anything for food and plenty of drink at the end of a long day, and better take Shaun as well so he doesn't stand guard) - then you can 'nick' the 150 FPS FSX computer and we can then form a new company and market the clones - what do you think? We could call ourselves AeroNicked - or as it would be so easy - AeroEaselyNicked - we would need support - so how many fellow simmers would support us? - we could offer them a 10% discount on the 150 FPS FSX hardware.

George

When FSX first came out it would not run satisfactorily on my old computer - so I gave up flight simming for about 18 months - when after a number of blue screens - I decided it was time to upgrade the computer. Last November, having read many threads (mainly on this forum) as to what was being recommended to get a decent FPS - I took the plunge and got the new computer. The downside is that I am not much better off and am getting FPS of between 5 - 20 which is really depressing after the money I have spent.

What is the spec of your new computer?

John

John

John

The spec of my new computer is

Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9550 2.83 Ghz

8 GB Ram

ATI Radeon 4870 graphics card

Vista 64 bit

and most of the time with the sliders either in the middle or to the left (excluding traffic which I leave at minimum) - FPS set to unlimited - I am achieving less than 10 FPS occasionally peaking for a second to maybe 20 - to be honest a steady 20 FPS would be a start

John

John

Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9550 2.83 Ghz

8 GB Ram

Vista 64 bit

and most of the time with the sliders either in the middle or to the left (excluding traffic which I leave at minimum) - FPS set to unlimited - I am achieving less than 10 FPS occasionally peaking for a second to maybe 20 - to be honest a steady 20 FPS would be a start

WOW! With those specs, FS9 will run like a freakin charm! I get 50-60FPS and my laptop is 2.5ghz. I match you in all the other specs. I couldn't imagine running FSX on those specs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdVU382xvwY

WOW! With those specs, FS9 will run like a freakin charm! I get 50-60FPS and my laptop is 2.5ghz. I match you in all the other specs. I couldn't imagine running FSX on those specs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdVU382xvwY

The original post refers to FSX. Your response and link refer to FS9!!! If I'm missing something here then I apologise in advance but, there is a major difference in what both sim's require hardware wise.

The original post refers to FSX. Your response and link refer to FS9!!! If I'm missing something here then I apologise in advance but, there is a major difference in what both sim's require hardware wise.

And thus all you have done with your responce is prove my point about what I just said. Not necessary, but thanks though. :blink:

And last time I checked, the topic was:Fsx And My Computer Are Getting Divorced! Opening the discussion to FS9.

The key words there being "FSX, Computer, and Divorced." Thus implying George possibly switching back to FS9 as an alternative.

Thus, again, no thanks to your un-constructive response.

John

John

Intel Coreâ„¢2 Quad CPU Q9550 2.83 Ghz

8 GB Ram

Vista 64 bit

Hi George

Your

And thus all you have done with your responce is prove my point about what I just said. Not necessary, but thanks though. :blink:

And last time I checked, the topic was:Fsx And My Computer Are Getting Divorced! Opening the discussion to FS9.

The key words there being "FSX, Computer, and Divorced." Thus implying George possibly switching back to FS9 as an alternative.

Thus, again, no thanks to your un-constructive response.

I have no intentions of A, getting into a flame war nor B, what is the best sim!! My view is each to their own.

Wouldn't it have been more constructive on your part to attempt to find out from the original poster as to why his pc is running FSX at such low fps!!!

I have no intentions of A, getting into a flame war nor B, what is the best sim!! My view is each to their own.

Wouldn't it have been more constructive on your part to attempt to find out from the original poster as to why his pc is running FSX at such low fps!!!

Not trying to war either. And as my point wasn't clear to you, let me be clear. FSX is not going to run the way he wants it to with those specs. It just aint. Period. Thus my point is (not a FSX vs FS9 war here) FS9 can run VERY well on that platform. As for FSX, it is hard enough on a desktop and running FSX on a laptop just isn't wise and is a waste of money at this point. I am REALLY hoping the technology will catch up this year. His computer and FSX divorced. He made a good decision. FS9 can hold him over well until he decides what is best for his FSX experence concluding my point.

Hi George

Your spec is quite good so you should be getting much better frame rates than you are currently experiencing. I feel sure that your system is not set up correctly.

Randy

I have come up with a great idea - what we should do, is go to one of Mathijs workshops/displays - I will take him out for dinner (he will do anything for food and plenty of drink at the end of a long day, and better take Shaun as well so he doesn't stand guard) - then you can 'nick' the 150 FPS FSX computer and we can then form a new company and market the clones - what do you think? We could call ourselves AeroNicked - or as it would be so easy - AeroEaselyNicked - we would need support - so how many fellow simmers would support us? - we could offer them a 10% discount on the 150 FPS FSX hardware.

George

George

I wonder what a ticket would cost from here to there?,,still probably less than upgrading my computer again :rolleyes:

I will see if I can find some nice eye candy to distract Shaun (do you know if he prefers Blonds or Brunettes) :wub:

My system is less than yours and I can usually hold between 20 and 30 fps,with only a few few dips into the teens

E4700 @ 2.60Ghz Core2 Duo with only 2 sticks of 1 Gig ram

with a Nvidia 8600 card along with a triple head to go

Randy

there must be some other problem with your system set-up, I would think you should be getting better than you are

Hi George

Your specs are most certainly good enough for you to achieve SMOOTH flight. Forget the FPS counter - just switch it off and try to never look at it again. I have a slightly lower rig spec than you do and I have well over 40 high-end addons going. PMDG, UTX, FEX, VFR Germany, Mega Airports etc etc. I am able to achieve smooth flight 90% of the time.

Then, you need to go back to the beginning...

1. Nick Needham's Setting up FSX Guide here: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041. Print this out and read it a few times.

2. You WILL need 0&0 defrag v11 (http://www.oo-software.com/home/en/product...frag/index.html). Other defrag programs are NOT suitable!

3. Antivirus - consider getting ESET NOD32 Antivirus v4 (http://www.eset.com/products/nod32.php)

4. Is your FSX installation on a seperate HDD? It should be. If you have the cash do yourself a BIG favour and get the Velociraptor 300MB. Otherwise the new Samsung Spinpoint F1 DT 500 or 750GB is the HDD to get.

5. Do you use UTX? If so you need to be aware of a few things (http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=21457). There are other posts around with regards to specific suggestions about night lighting and UTX's traffic settings.

6. If you use FEX then consider NOT installing the SHD update.

It is certainly possible to use Vista64bit and 4870 GPU's with success in FSX, BUT, the basics as above need to be right first. Having said that a GTX260 Core216 or a GTX275 would be better for sure. Using nvidia would also allow you to use nHancer as recommended in Nick's guide above.

Konrad

Hi George

Your specs are most certainly good enough for you to achieve SMOOTH flight. Forget the FPS counter - just switch it off and try to never look at it again. I have a slightly lower rig spec than you do and I have well over 40 high-end addons going. PMDG, UTX, FEX, VFR Germany, Mega Airports etc etc. I am able to achieve smooth flight 90% of the time.

Then, you need to go back to the beginning...

1. Nick Needham's Setting up FSX Guide here: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041. Print this out and read it a few times.

2. You WILL need 0&0 defrag v11 (http://www.oo-software.com/home/en/product...frag/index.html). Other defrag programs are NOT suitable!

3. Antivirus - consider getting ESET NOD32 Antivirus v4 (http://www.eset.com/products/nod32.php)

4. Is your FSX installation on a seperate HDD? It should be. If you have the cash do yourself a BIG favour and get the Velociraptor 300MB. Otherwise the new Samsung Spinpoint F1 DT 500 or 750GB is the HDD to get.

5. Do you use UTX? If so you need to be aware of a few things (http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=21457). There are other posts around with regards to specific suggestions about night lighting and UTX's traffic settings.

6. If you use FEX then consider NOT installing the SHD update.

It is certainly possible to use Vista64bit and 4870 GPU's with success in FSX, BUT, the basics as above need to be right first. Having said that a GTX260 Core216 or a GTX275 would be better for sure. Using nvidia would also allow you to use nHancer as recommended in Nick's guide above.

Konrad

Konrad

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with such detailed information - I will read and familiarise myself with all your suggestions at the weekend and hopefully see some improvement in my FPS

George

George

I wonder what a ticket would cost from here to there?,,still probably less than upgrading my computer again :rolleyes:

I will see if I can find some nice eye candy to distract Shaun (do you know if he prefers Blonds or Brunettes) :wub:

My system is less than yours and I can usually hold between 20 and 30 fps,with only a few few dips into the teens

E4700 @ 2.60Ghz Core2 Duo with only 2 sticks of 1 Gig ram

with a Nvidia 8600 card along with a triple head to go

Randy

there must be some other problem with your system set-up, I would think you should be getting better than you are

Randy

I think the nvidia card may have something to do with it - I keep reading that Nvidia cards perform much better in FSX than Ati - but I am going to give Konrad's suggestions a go, and see what can be achieved

George

Konrad

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with such detailed information - I will read and familiarise myself with all your suggestions at the weekend and hopefully see some improvement in my FPS

George

You're very welcome. I hope it all helps you understand how FSX and your current machine can stay married that little bit longer. Going backwards to FS9 (even though you yourself never mentioned this as an option) is in fact not a solution at all as some may imply/hint/suggest.

Please repeat after me: I WILL NOT USE THE FPS COUNTER AS A GUIDE TO HOW WELL FSX PERFORMS. You should NOT be looking for an increase in FPS, what you should be looking for is consistently SMOOTH flight on YOUR machine doing the type of flying YOU do. This can be a bit of a paradigm shift for some...

Just to be clear, setting up your system as per Nick's guide is an all or nothing approach. You cannot just implement certain elements of it as you like, the whole thing MUST be followed exactly as laid out. If I were you I would start by getting FSX its own dedicated HDD. Once you are familiar with the process "on paper" actually doing it will take a good couple of hours so give yourself the best part of a whole day to set it up. Don't stop and start it.

Once done the monthly or so maintanence only takes 30 or so min.

If, and only if, all this effort does not provide you with SMOOTH flight in FSX would I consider ebaying the ati and buying nvidia.

Konrad

Randy

I think the nvidia card may have something to do with it - I keep reading that Nvidia cards perform much better in FSX than Ati - but I am going to give Konrad's suggestions a go, and see what can be achieved

George

George

I hadn't thought about that (video card manufacturer that is :huh: )

The only other thing I left out was I am still running Windows XP

I have been told by a few of my computer helpers that XP uses a

lot less of the computers resources to run ,compared to Vista

Best of luck to you,,

Konrad's info should get you on the right track

Randy

It seems (from reading recent threads) that vista 64 bit is not the best operating system for FSX and my graphics card (ATI Radeon 4870) is just not suited to FSX. Then I get envious when I see that Mathijs is achieving FPS of 150!!!! with the catalina - I would be happy with 50.

Well, I can't say I envy Mathijs for what is computer shows. Hallelujah, 150+ FPS, but a level of AA which makes me cry.

Why don't you just try switching to FS9,, :P

Well, I can't say I envy Mathijs for what is computer shows. Hallelujah, 150+ FPS, but a level of AA which makes me cry.

Why don't you just try switching to FS9,, :P

Default FSX w/accel at nearly maxed settings, 1680 x 1050 res, 8xQ AA, and 8x AF, gave me 140 to 180 FPS on my Q9550 rig.

Now with a ton of addons and not a single default square inch of FSX (except Antarctica...), I have it locked at 36 and thats what I get. 36 seems to be the sweet spot on my rig. More than enough for smooth performance with Track IR too.

He needs to figure out what is wrong with his setup, not go back to an ancient sim that is FS9.

Default FSX w/accel at nearly maxed settings, 1680 x 1050 res, 8xQ AA, and 8x AF, gave me 140 to 180 FPS on my Q9550 rig.

Now with a ton of addons and not a single default square inch of FSX (except Antarctica...), I have it locked at 36 and thats what I get. 36 seems to be the sweet spot on my rig. More than enough for smooth performance with Track IR too.

He needs to figure out what is wrong with his setup, not go back to an ancient sim that is FS9.

Which is a discussion I'm not going to participate in, only then by saying not everyone can afford a Q9550..