Tail Hook?

idahosurge

I am curious why this F-16 has a tail hook since it is not a carrier based aircraft. Now I am going to go see if I can land this on a carrier sitting off the San Diego coast.

Rod

I am curious why this F-16 has a tail hook since it is not a carrier based aircraft. Now I am going to go see if I can land this on a carrier sitting off the San Diego coast.

Rod

hi Rod!

the F-16 have a tail hook because sometimes when the aircraft have a problem like brakes or he coming very fast for landing there are several cables on the runway for the aircraft to use in this cases to stop him. the tail hook doesnt made for a carrier landing!

hope i was answer your question!

Thanks for the response, now I know! By the way, the tail hook would not grab the arrestor cables on the carrier so I believe that this code is not included in the file, since it is not for a carrier landing that does not suprise me.

Rod

Thanks for the response, now I know! By the way, the tail hook would not grab the arrestor cables on the carrier so I believe that this code is not included in the file, since it is not for a carrier landing that does not suprise me.

Rod

hi Rod again!

i am attach for your F-16 a link for effect that making a sonic boom, cerrier landing and a fest take off. just read the read me file and u will see what to do!

http://rapidshare.com/files/219497482/COP3.rar.html

have fun!

Hi Gentlemen,

Just to add to Mr. Barak's gauges; which work very nicely; Thank you...

When the Aerosoft F-16 first came out, users began asking the same questions about the Tailhook usage, I added the code to the aircraft.cfg files to make it Landable/launchable from the FSX Acceleration AICarriers HERE.

post-13668-1239328214_thumb.jpgpost-13668-1239328169_thumb.jpg

Also, in the 60's and 70's the USAF required (for many of its design requests) short-field landings for fighter designs. Many manufactures added Tailhooks on their landbased fighter designs as a Short-field Take-off and Landing (STOL) design option to shorten the landing distances of many of their fighters (the other option was a break chute). Although, it was rarely uses, most pilots were trained on how to use the cable assisted landings on specially designed runways.

Enjoy! :)

• Upvote 1

Also, in the 60's and 70's the USAF required (for many of its design requests) short-field landings for fighter designs. Many manufactures added Tailhooks on their landbased fighter designs as a Short-field Take-off and Landing (STOL) design option to shorten the landing distances of many of their fighters (the other option was a break chute). Although, it was rarely uses, most pilots were trained on how to use the cable assisted landings on specially designed runways.

Enjoy! :)

No.

The Air Force requirement for hooks has nothing to do with "STOL design options". No Air Force airplane is designed specifically for approach-end arrestments (unless you count airplanes like the F-4 and A-7 which were actually designed to Navy specifications). The hook is there for use only in emergencies, not for any type of landing performance enhancement.

Though approach-end arrestments have been done, the typical usage is to land normally, aerobrake normally, and take the departure-end barrier at anywhere from 30-100kt (approximately). Depending on the runway, that could mean a 7-10,000ft rollout. Hardly what anyone would consider STOL.

And there are no "special runways" either. Nearly every runway at any Air Force installation or Joint-Use airport will be equipped with a BAK-12/14 system. Typically, for fighter/trainer operations, the departure-end barrier will be raised in case of a high-speed aborted takeoff, or brake failures during landing. The approach-end barrier will typically be lowered into a groove in the runway so as not to interfere with flight operations.

It's true, I'm just making this stuff up as I go along. :lol:

I'm amazed every time I see that video. I know he had an engine fire that wouldn't go out, and he was concerned about the fire working forward at lower airspeeds, but good lord! 450kt on final and 260kt at touchdown?

I'm sure he was riding on the rims within about 2 seconds of wheel spin-up...that's WAY over the max tire speed. There's no way any barrier engagement would have been succesful under those circumstances (200kt and off centerline as he went passed where the barrier would have been (If the runway even had one)).

There's a really nice video of an Aussie F-111 taking the approach-end cable during a gear-up landing. He catches the cable while flying at about 5ft. Pretty smooth considering the circumstances.

I'm too lazy to go get the link, but if you google "F-111 gear-up landing" I'm sure you'll find it.

EDIT: It's not the video, but there's a few pics of the event here:

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138719

EDITED AGAIN: Here's the video:

He was pretty fast.

Buddy of mine going through flight training in Texans right now said that was one of the videos they reviewed. Moral of the story, yes you're on fire, yes its imperitive to land, but make sure your speed is resonable!!!

I'll look it up!

And you are making this all up ;)

Yep. The F-15 video is one of the many we watched during our CRM training.

I haven't personally read the AIB report on that particular accident, but as I remember, the lesson was about task saturation and following the universal rule of emergencies: fly the airplane.

(you think I'm kidding, but seriously, I don't even know what the acronyms CRM or AIB even mean. I made them up just now). :)

EDIT: I mean, the guys at my VA made them up. I'm just repeating them here to look cool. :lol:

I'm amazed every time I see that video. I know he had an engine fire that wouldn't go out, and he was concerned about the fire working forward at lower airspeeds, but good lord! 450kt on final and 260kt at touchdown?

Indeed the speed was way to fast....im still wondering if there wasn't time to take a hard bank and turn so the speed would decrease more, but as you said he was concered about the fire going forward.....?

Annyway, as far as i know..the tail hook [especially on the F-16] is only incase of Emergs, if the runway should be to short, we use a dragchute for that...

But as a reminder in case of emerg..

1. Maintain Aircract Control

2. Analyse Situation

3. Take Propper Action

4. Land as soon as conditions permit

And stay on procedures of Boldfaces...