Should I Buy The Bush Hawk?

VH-MAL

I have bought quite a few Aerosoft aircraft in the past - Beaver, Twin Otter, Dornier Do-27, Cheyenne, to name just a few, and I have always been very impressed by the quality and performance of these aircraft on my computer system. I run FSX SP2 on an XP system with SP3 (aren't all these acronyms wonderful!) and my frame rates set at 27 fps, mainly due to the fact that I have FTX scenery installed. I get 27 fps running the Beaver, Twotter and Ceyenne, but usually get about 20 fps with the Dornier.

My question after all this is - will my system run the Bush Hawk efficiently enough for me to enjoy what looks like a great plane? I would dearly love it as I have recently bought Air Hauler, and I think this aircraft would be ideal in that environment.

One of the reasons for my nervousness is that I recently bought the Mustang (from elsewhere - I know! I should have known better!) and could not get it to run at much over 12 fps. Fortunately that other company allows has a 30 day refund policy of which I took advantage.

So as much as I would like to add the wonderful Bush Hawk to my hangar, will it be worth my while?

Also should I wait until the the next patch is released in April?

Kind regards

Malcolm

As I always say, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder (or beer holder)". I have it and love it. It's a wonderful little plane. Some people have experienced fps hits but there have been several updates to help with that and it did. I'm sorry to hear you didn't like the Mustang. I also have it and I think it's an incredible plane. The fps hit came with the extensive G1000, but load your default Cessna with the G1000 glass cockpit and you'll see similar frame hits. It's just the sophisticated navigation system that beats your cpu like a red-headed step-child.

Back to the Bush Hawk. If you run the Cheyenne fine, then you should be fine with the Bush Hawk. I'm speaking from my own experience here. If you like slow and low flying, you'll love the Bush Hawk. It comes with a great little airport scenery package perfect for amphibious bush operations.

Honestly and in my opinion, the price for the Bush Hawk is great. Low price, great plane. But again, it's in the eye of the beholder.

Thanks FSXaddict!

I like your turn of phrase, and you have me leaning toward the purchase. As you say, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder, and I really do like this plane and the concept it was built for. With FTX installed, I intend to do a lot of low and slow work in Oz, in Air Hauler (which I can highly recommend), and to me this is the ideal aircraft in which to do it.

I was very impressed with the Mustang - I wish I could have made it more manageable, but it was just too 'power hungry' for my system, but it has been the only aircraft that has affected my system to that extent. If the Bush Hawk is easier on the frame rates than the Mustang I should be fine.

Thanks for the great advice.

Cheers

Malcolm

Another thumbs up here. It´s heavier on resources than the usual GA aircraft but they released a service pack to adress this (wich i haven´t tried because i don´t need it). If you are going to use it in Air Hauler take into account the absence of any autopilot, you will have to handfly the thing. But hey, we are talking bush here :P

This package delivers a lot for its price. The aircraft rendition is simply beautiful, the avionics very complete (except for the autopilot) and the lighting is one of the best i´ve seen. It´s full of gizmos like the ropes hanging from the wing that move according to the airflow, or the post it notes that appear sometimes over the gauges. It has failures so you have to treat it right (optional), it comes with some missions and a tutorial flight to get started with the aircraft (you will receive a "Bushawk type rating" reward if you do succesfully). One of my favorites is the cabin that changes according to the pax/cargo configuration: fill the stations with cargo in the fuel/load manager and you will get a cabin full of fish crates. Make it 50/50 and you will get a row of seats with some crates behind. In the missions you can use a custom fuel and load manager that allows you to change these on the fly.

If i´m not mistaken they are working in another service pack.

And finally, it carries more cargo than the default cessna, but you will have to save some money. I imported it yesterday and a brand new one will cost you roughly 29,300 dollars ;)

And thanks Egoix.

As you say, it is a bush plane and there is a lot of that in Australia, beautifully rendered in FTX. I'm not surprised at the cost in Air Hauler, but it would be worth the wait. I'm sure I saw that the next patch will include an AP, but that certainly would not be a deciding factor for me. As we agree it is a bush plane and it is meant for bush flying. Getting more likely to buy it!

Malcolm

I think the Bush Hawk is the perfect choice for flying down under. Allthough you cannot find it there (yet) in reality, it's a great choice for bushflying in Alaska, Africa, Australia and everywhere else, where you won't leave the building without your swiss army knife. ;)

There will be some additional paints for down under flying together with the service pack soon (we just need to wait a bit because we include the new Aerosoft sound sytem).

And thank you Thorsten.

I was sure I would get a response from an Aerosoft person!

Congratulations on your wonderful range of aircraft, to which it seems I will soon add yet another to my hangar. I'm sure that I will thoroughly enjoy the Bush Hawk, and the future patch with additional paints for 'downunder' is just another incentive.

And as there are no Bush Hawks in Australia (in reality) I think it's time that at least the virtual skies were graced with this great plane.

Kindest regards

Malcolm

Just to let you know that I have purchased the Bush Hawk. Had a quick look, and I am truly impressed, and it looks as though it will run fine on my system - having the options for lower polys etc (if needed) will ensure that I will have endless hours of enjoyable flying the Bush Hawk around the great FTX Scenery, particularly in Air Hauler.

Special thanks to those who were kind enough to help me with my decision!

Malcolm