Soaring In Flightgear

KSUpilot

I am mostly a FSX user, however, from time to time I have downloaded and messed around with Flightgear. Has anyone given soaring a shot in Flightgear? As far as I know, the soaring experience is not as realistic as FSX...but hey, the thing is free.

I just did a quick view of the site, and have to say I'm impressed. For being freeware, it looks better than what I thought it would be for being such. I only noticed one glider available during my short view of the site, but is there more available?

Scott

There is a Schweizer 2-33:

sgs233.jpg

Bocian 1E:

bocian.jpg

ASW-20:

asw20.jpg

ASK-21:

ASK21.jpg

That is just from the main flight gear page download section, I'm not sure if Avsim contains more or if there are others out there.

In the documentation it says they would have to spend way too much man power to provide a realistic soaring environment. However, it does include winch launches for one of the gliders.

I'm sure if someone put in the effort, something like Cumulus X could be developed for the sim.

I haven't given soaring too much of a try in Flight Gear, but the scenery is impressive for a free sim.