Soaring Video

rlink

I don't know if this is appropriate here or not, so if it isn't then please let me know. I have created a soaring video using FSX, PlayClaw, and Roxio's VideoWave that I thought I would share. It can be found at:

http://www.vimeo.com/3419160

This is a short soaring flight out of Bad Ragaz airfield, Switzerland in an LAK Genesis 2 sailplane using Microsoft Flight Simulator X. I also use a small program called "Aerotow" to select the towplane of my choice, and to get the tow plane to fly the pattern that I want. The Genesis 2 sailplane is a standard-class glider with ballast, and is one of the best freeware gliders that I have found for FSX so far.

This is the very first video that I have produced. Any comments would be welcome. Thanks...

Randy L.

I don't know if this is appropriate here or not, so if it isn't then please let me know. I have created a soaring video using FSX, PlayClaw, and Roxio's VideoWave that I thought I would share. It can be found at:

http://www.vimeo.com/3419160

This is a short soaring flight out of Bad Ragaz airfield, Switzerland in an LAK Genesis 2 sailplane using Microsoft Flight Simulator X. I also use a small program called "Aerotow" to select the towplane of my choice, and to get the tow plane to fly the pattern that I want. The Genesis 2 sailplane is a standard-class glider with ballast, and is one of the best freeware gliders that I have found for FSX so far.

This is the very first video that I have produced. Any comments would be welcome. Thanks...

Randy L.

Thank you very much Randy for the video....but.... if you want an even better "SailPlane" Try the "SOAR DG808s". It is available from this website. You'll fall in love, all over, again, with Soaring. It is so real. The flaps work like they are intended to work. Set the plane at 90 to 100, F6, for reflex and don't exceed 120 or so. If you want to go faster just F6 again and take it to the limit. The L/D is by far extended over the original. I even downloaded the "LightHorse" repaint for my version. post-14232-1214401470_thumb.jpg You still have to work the mountain or the thermal. Try this in the Austrian series 3 or 4 you should be able to get your times in the high 40's or low 50 minute time frames, easy. Just be careful in the sink areas because it still falls, I think, even faster than the original did but then again you will be flying so much faster you will sail right through the sink. Again thank you for the video.

post-1670-1235945459_thumb.jpg

Where can I get more information on PlayClaw, and Roxio's Video Wave? I would like to try making a video myself.

Don

Hi Don,

PlayClaw is a commercial product that you can find at:

http://www.playclaw.com/en/index.php

The publisher offered it for free last week, but only for 24 hours (as a promotion) and I was lucky enough to find out about it and download it while it was free. I'm not sure how much it's going for now. PlayClaw is a lot like FRAPS, but doesn't impact framerates while it is running as much as FRAPS does. Plus PlayClaw is very simple to use (it would have to be for me to use it).

VideoWave came with Roxio's EZ CD Creator v9.0.

http://www.roxio.com/

It's one of the utilities that comes with EZ CD Creator. I bought version 9 about a year and a half ago for ~$80, I'm not sure what version they are currently putting out.

I'm glad you liked the video, I had a lot of fun producing it. Thanks...

Randy L.

Thanks for the info Peter, I've been using Debut for a few years now, with better frame rates achieved than most other freeware capturers. I have a question about the graphics card option. I have a graphics card capable of connecting 2 monitors, is this what you mean? and, Can you explain the process if so?

And as far as a video program to edit your clip/clips, I use the freeware Windows Movie Maker 2.6 (Vista) with good results (and you can get good freeware addons for it as well), and I actually spent some money on Pinnacle Studio 11 but found Windows Movie Maker easier for myself to work. But I've always used Movie Maker, so I'm kinda used to it. It actually makes it sound like I've done a lot of videos, but in actual fact, it's quite minimal. But as far as capturing, Debut is great with the right codec.

Scott

In addition, many GCs have also a TV output, most of the time some special round shaped connector with some cable adapter, ending in a regular cinch or Hosiden connector (for S-Video). Set your GC driver into "clone" mode, which reproduces your primary screen on the secondary output, the TV-out, in this case. Connect a regular DVD or HD recorder to it and now you can record everything on your PC primary screen on a DVD, which can be later easily edited on your PC again. You may have to connect the recorder first in order the TV-out being discovered by the GC's driver.

Thus capture, encoding and saving do not put any extra load on your sim PC. Though video is limited to regular DVD resolution, this is probably more than sufficient for any online video project.

Cheers,

Peter

Sam,

Where do get the LightHorse repaint for the DG-808?

Thanks,

Don

Don

I found it on his website or at SimViation here. http://simviation.com/simviation/?ID=145&page=1000 But if you download it be aware that it maybe the cause of my current problem with the "Soar DG808". My problem is that when I use the "Soar DG808" in any mission, my frame rates go from 40 to 50 to near zero. If I were to download it again I would only take the textures from the extracting process. Being unempoyed gets me into all kinds of trouble.

Thanks

SlaminSam