Gracious Offer From Aerosoft

Karen Hamilton

As you know, the SOAR board was down for a few days! Fortunately it is back again, but who knows for how long???? We have been having problems for awhile now with hackers, and having had to do all registrations manually. We no longer have an account with Invision which means we are not able to update the board anymore. For some reason they quit taking our $$ automatically and the account lapsed without our knowledge. We just cannot see paying another $150 for another license +$25 every 6 months, since this site is not commercial and we have to fund it ourselves.

This leaves us a couple of options:

1. Aerosoft has graciously offered to host our board and it would remain the same as now except it would be on their site along with their forum. There would be a clear notice that our board is not connected to Aerosoft as they are a commercial entity, rather that they are doing this as a favor to the soaring community! They would do this at no charge and their techs would do all the transfering/maintence. This would sure eliminate us going down and our existing problems!! It would also benefit SOAR by giving us more exposure/traffic!

2. We could install another free board and continue on. This would keep the board on our site and we would still control it. The problem so far has been finding one in which we could keep all our old posts and keep our membership intact. I do not even know if this is possible to find. If not, it would mean starting our board from scratch and losing all our old messages. This is not a situation that we want!

We welcome your comments on our options!

Option 1 sounds great to me - and Mathijs always loved virtual soaring - first at Lago (remember Emma Field ? - still the only scenery add-on you really need for fs2002/4... :wink: ) and now at Aerosoft (check out the Discus they are building :lightbulb: ) ...

:cheers2:

Max

Option #1 scares me just a little, but that sounds like the best solution. I would sure hate to lose the wealth of information on the board. It also lets a person see some of the history of SOAR if they wanted to, and the progress that has been made.

With Microsoft maybe not doing the Flight Simulator series anymore, will it be okay with Aerosoft if we, way way into the future, have another sim as the dominant sim talked about on the board, if it so happens?

Scott

Option #1 scares me just a little, but that sounds like the best solution. I would sure hate to lose the wealth of information on the board. It also lets a person see some of the history of SOAR if they wanted to, and the progress that has been made.

With Microsoft maybe not doing the Flight Simulator series anymore, will it be okay with Aerosoft if we, way way into the future, have another sim as the dominant sim talked about on the board, if it so happens?

Scott

Yes, we are saddened at losing all the history also. We have a complete backup of the board as it existed 2 Mar 2009. We are going to see about the possiblity of importing all those posts into an "archive" board that folks would be able to read and refer to for reference and history, but not post to. This would mean doing a simple free board that would just reside on the SOAR site.

As to another simulator discussion. I don't see any problem if Microsoft does not continue with it's sim. Aerosoft itself has an airline sim. The main reason Aerosoft is helping us, I believe is because of the soaring aspect - not necessarily MS. Hopefully in the future there will be another sim - one dedicated to soaring! *grin*

• 3 weeks later...