Aerobatic Soaring

Max Roodveldt

Hi all,

one of the discarded old projects I found on one of my harddiscs is the Aerobatic Viewer - a way to fly and judge aerobatic sailplane flights.

The general idea at the time was to create the possibilty to fly aerobatic figures in MSFS - to display the figures to fly in the sky - how to fly them and get comments while flying them (like a real time instructor...) and to be able to judge those flights afterwards.

I'm just wondering if there would be any interest in a project like that: it would mean to design an all new 3D viewer, a library of figures to fly, a couple of special aerobatic planes (both old and new), a new recorder, special gauges, aerobatic panels, ect., ect....

The files I dug out where for FS2000 so I guess some updating is needed - the best way might be to start anew...

Any suggestions ?

:cheers2:

Max.

Hi Max,

I remember when you first thought of this concept several years ago. What a great idea!. It would add a whole new dimension to virtual soaring. My only concern is the capability of MSFS to accurately model all the various aerobatic maneuvers aircraft can perform. It is my understanding that MSFS is weak in this area compared to some other flight sims. Assuming a creditable aerobatic flight routine can be developed, and a satisifying way to view the results and accurately judge the performances, I say lets go for it.

Cheers, :AA:

Don

I believe I would enjoy the challenge of doing glider aerobatics if taught from the sim. I would hope though it would not be a terrible challenge for you to develope, I'm not so sure of a great following after it's been released. But then again, if I can ever get back into a house of our own and cable internet connection, I can start hosting more FunFly's with time for this in the day/weekend.

Scott

I think aerobatics would be useful as an improvement to a pilots overall gliding skills.

In the more recent soaring missions, where a particular turnpoint involves a near 180 degree turn, I have been practicing a half cuban eight manoever to save time and energy?? That is, when I am nearly at the turnpoint I dive to pick up speed then pull back into a loop thus converting speed into height and then when i am over the top of the loop and picking up speed again inverted, then executing a half roll.

I would be interested to know if the energy and time efficiency of this is more or less than simply turning sharply through 180deg past the turnpoint.

Hodge

@Don

Yes, I agree about the possible limitations of MSFS - but one can always try (LOL) - adding thermals to FS98 wasn't that easy either...

@Scott

The challenge is just what I like (love) - it's all about finding the limits of what's possible - glider aerobatics hasn't been done - yet...

@Hodge

Gliding aerobatics must be the most demanding form of soaring - even more demanding than it's motorized version (without an engine to save you) - it must be the purist form of flying...

btw - using aerobatics within thermal flights is a waste of energy - in thermal flight never pull up - just take the turn...

The brandnew recorder is running - 25 records per second is possible - a 3D viewer is next...

Max

• 3 weeks later...
.........One thing's for sure - we need a lot of new - decent - airfiles... :smoke:

Max.

Max,

I am sure glad you realize this, The graphic looks great!! BTW, it would be nice if the sound of the airstream in the cockpit accurately reflects the airspeed and its variations. Also a "G" meter would be useful.

:AA:

Don

Hi,

how's this for a looping ? :big_boss:

gaviewer_00.jpg

It's a recording of an FSX looping as displayed in an aerobatic viewer...

One thing's for sure - we need a lot of new - decent - airfiles... :smoke:

Max.

Respect, Max! :clapping: That really looks great.

Now we need a Fox - or some glider with similar performance, which should be able to spin and slip and... ! Uh, any designer out there?

Dirk.

The way things are going I'll have an alpha version of the Glider Aerobatics Viewer (GAViewer) ready in a couple of weeks and we can start evaluating what needs to be done to make it all come together.

The biggest problem will be to create some realistic airfiles - plane models ain't so difficult - it's all in the airfiles. But there are some good motorized airfiles around so we might learn a trick or two of those... :lightbulb:

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Aerosoft Discus - Mathijs should be able to come up with an reasonably useful airfile... :dirol:

Max

ok,

I could do with some help...

There's a new recorder to be tested - it comes with a new viewer, a new plane and some other stuff.

Let me warn you: there won't be an installer - all the stuff has to be installed manually so you should know how to move some files around - and it's FSX only... :cry:

So if you have some time to spare and love to test something new, send me a PM, I'll prepare a readme file, put a little zip together and mail you a download link - in a couple of days...

It's all still in alpha state so be prepared for a lot of bugs - even the plane isn't finished... :embaressed:

Anyone in for a little fun? :not_i:

Max

fs9 MDM Fox is available:-

frpm avsim:-

Zaklad Remontov MDM-1 Fox

File Description:

This glider, is the most advanced double seated aerobatics glider in the world and the only one that is able to be used for the whole spectrum of aerobatics double seated. The maiden flight was in the year 1993 in poland. this one shows the one I have flown during the open door days in Schneverdingen on the airfield Höpen. This Fox is the first for FS2004, with a Virtual Cockpit, with front and rear seat panels, if you have active camera, or similar, you can change your position to the rear seat.

Filename: skysailor_mdm-1fox_1-2.zip

License: Freeware, limited distribution

Added: 4th September 2008

Downloads: 973

Author: Christian Drawz and H. Csillag

Size: 4236kb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

or

http://simviation.com/simviation/?ID=145

might need the airfile tweaking though!

I know I downloaded and installed this aircraft into FSX and works, but haven't flown it in a while, so I cannot vouch for any adverse effects of the installation into FSX (like the panel/canopy issue in most addon models). I may PM you Max if I can make the time for it, I have to be honest though, I think I haven't really sat down to fly nonstop in FSX for about 2-3weeks now it seems.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey Max! How's this project coming along? I've got a few questions for you.

First of all, Did you secretly add an old glider to be downloaded with it? Sagitta? Just caught what was said in Don's post, did he mean he was flying it?

Second, have you gotten the program to actually "judge" maneuvers yet? I added this because of future funfly/contests possibilities.

Should I maybe PM you about these questions?

Scott